Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Remote Access App (Android)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 06:58 PM
JeremyT
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can install it yourself. Many have done so. The module plugs in around the driver's side and you can mount it underneath the dash around the steering column shaft by the brake pedal. Then you call or email the vendor, who is a Ford dealer, and they can activate it.

Of course there is also a yearly subscription fee from Ford.

Originally Posted by mynetdude
oh ok so I still need the RA hardware then, since that still needs to be installed in addition to the RS that's already in it... gotcha so yeah I'll probably wait awhile then cuz its not just $400, there's the labor cost of getting it put in.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:21 PM
jscozz
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have Sync 3 you may want to hold off on buying the current 3g modem/alarm module add on to get the iPhone based remote start... Ford announced last year the Sync Connect service, but has given no more details about it yet... what it does or even if 2016 Sync 3 will be able to have it installed. Sounds like it may be a new version of the 3g modem to support some additional features... but who knows... it may be the same old modem with some new Sync software. In any case, I am just waiting for more info before I spend $ on the old one. May be I can buy back some of the features I lost with Sync 3 that Sync 2 had like vehicle diagnostic reports...

If you have 2015 Sync 2, then you may as well use the old one, since I think the new Sync Connect is only for Sync 3.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:43 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is an incredible amount of misinformation in this thread, so let me help set the record straight.

Remote Access is a plug and play security and remote start system that works with Android and iPhone. The subscription is $50 a year for unlimited use.

For the 2015+ F-150, the part numbers required are:

FT4Z-19A361-A
DL3Z-19A390-B

The first part is the vehicle security system. This must be installed in the truck, as it is the only module that the Remote Access component can plug into.

The system works through 3G/4G data networks. Both the phone and the truck must have a signal in order for the system to function. Range is unlimited as long as there is signal. Average response time is less than 5 seconds regardless of distance.

These parts are genuine Ford accessories, and are covered by the remainder of the 3-year/36,000-mile warranty, or 2-years/unlimited-miles, whichever provides the greatest benefit to the customer. Yes these can be installed after the vehicle is purchased and still be covered by the remainder of the bumper to bumper warranty, or the 2-year/unlimited... again whichever is greater.

Although the hardware itself can be installed by anyone, the activation of the system requires the dealership. Only authorized dealer technicians can activate the remote access module, as a pin code is retrieved during the activation process. Warranty also dictates the install be done at the dealership.

If your truck already has remote start, all functionality of the existing remote start system remains intact. Ford plug and play systems are all designed to work together.

Ford does not handle the subscription. It is a 3rd party company called Springdance. A customer is first introduced to them when they go to activate their subscription.

This system is completely independent from Sync. Current vehicles that do not have the new Sync activated features for their smartphones (like certain Lincoln models do and coming soon to the Expedition) will not have those features available later. Remote access is the only option available for current 2015-2016 F-150's.

Pro tip: because the security system of the truck is being upgraded, the Remote Access app can be configured to email or text you in the event that your alarm is triggered. It will tell you if the door was opened or if it was the shock sensor that triggered the alarm. Most people typically get text messages within 5 seconds of the alarm sounding.

FYI I train dealers on these systems, including installation, sales, product knowledge, etc. Not all dealers have experience with the remote access kits. You can usually tell the ones that don't have experience if they want to charge you a fortune on labor. Realistically these can be installed and activated in an hour or less.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:09 PM
JeremyT
Junior User
Originally Posted by Pocket
There is an incredible amount of misinformation in this thread, so let me help set the record straight.
I don't think I contributed to that while trying to straighten out confusion that I believe comes from Ford's lacking of details on this feature. You did a better job outlining it, that's for sure.

Although the hardware itself can be installed by anyone, the activation of the system requires the dealership. Only authorized dealer technicians can activate the remote access module, as a pin code is retrieved during the activation process. Warranty also dictates the install be done at the dealership.
To clarify what I said earlier, there is a vendor on F150Forum who is a Ford dealership (edit: I was thinking of another dealership - this one just sells Ford parts) that does the above through email or calling. They have helped a lot of members over there by selling those parts that you detailed and without having to visit a local dealership. Again, you must have the factory remote start first, or you do need to visit the dealership.

Of course the warranty is a good point.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JeremyT
I don't think I contributed to that while trying to straighten out confusion that I believe comes from Ford's lacking of details on this feature. You did a better job outlining it, that's for sure.

To clarify what I said earlier, there is a vendor on F150Forum who is a Ford dealership (edit: I was thinking of another dealership - this one just sells Ford parts) that does the above through email or calling. They have helped a lot of members over there by selling those parts that you detailed and without having to visit a local dealership. Again, you must have the factory remote start first, or you do need to visit the dealership.

Of course the warranty is a good point.
I wasn't referring to you or anyone in particular in my post. Just trying to straighten out the information in one post so everyone had a reference they could fall back on regarding these systems.

If it's confusing to you guys, don't feel bad. It's even more confusing to the dealerships.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:46 PM
JeremyT
Junior User
That's partly why I posted in this thread. I've contacted my local dealership 3 times over the past month, and they're a decent sized Ford dealership, asking for a simple quote and time for getting the system installed on my F150. I noted to them I don't have the factory remote start, so that needs to be added on top of the Remote Access. Although they acknowledge my inquiry, they never get me the information.

No offense to all dealerships but if I can't get a simple answer after 3 tries then I'm looking at other options. Unfortunately, since I don't have the factory Remote Start, I'm stuck since I need a local dealership to physically update my truck's config.

If it's confusing to you guys, don't feel bad. It's even more confusing to the dealerships.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:55 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
You can install it yourself. Many have done so. The module plugs in around the driver's side and you can mount it underneath the dash around the steering column shaft by the brake pedal. Then you call or email the vendor, who is a Ford dealer, and they can activate it.

Of course there is also a yearly subscription fee from Ford.
Does it plug into the OBDII? If so that makes no sense... there should be a separate plug and play port just for that? OBDII is near the steering column near the brake pedal... otherwise it would have to be removed every time they need to connect an OBD reader.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:58 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
That's partly why I posted in this thread. I've contacted my local dealership 3 times over the past month, and they're a decent sized Ford dealership, asking for a simple quote and time for getting the system installed on my F150. I noted to them I don't have the factory remote start, so that needs to be added on top of the Remote Access. Although they acknowledge my inquiry, they never get me the information.

No offense to all dealerships but if I can't get a simple answer after 3 tries then I'm looking at other options. Unfortunately, since I don't have the factory Remote Start, I'm stuck since I need a local dealership to physically update my truck's config.
when I asked them to turn on the DRL for the '14 they were clueless as to how... and I told them to use the diagnostics computer; they didn't believe me, so I had no DRL the whole time I owned my '14.. I thought these guys go to school for this stuff?

My uncle is a mechanic and he said that every year he goes to school for a week (not necessarily all at one time, but it adds up to a week) they educate you on new diagnostic parameters, what the software should tell you, what kinds of updates, how to do updates, etc... he isn't a dealership mech so he can't do some of the brand specific stuff that only dealers can do but the same thing applies... every dealer mech I've talked to said they go through currency to stay updated or they'll be out of a job.

IF that ^^^ is the case why the heck don't they know this stuff???

Old 02-13-2016, 01:11 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Does it plug into the OBDII? If so that makes no sense... there should be a separate plug and play port just for that? OBDII is near the steering column near the brake pedal... otherwise it would have to be removed every time they need to connect an OBD reader.
No it doesn't need to be unplugged. The wiring harness of the security system works as a pass though for the DLC.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:15 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
IF that ^^^ is the case why the heck don't they know this stuff???
Because precisely zero Ford training is dedicated to remote start installations.

It's an unfortunate reality.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:22 AM
mynetdude
Senior User
Originally Posted by jscozz
If you have Sync 3 you may want to hold off on buying the current 3g modem/alarm module add on to get the iPhone based remote start... Ford announced last year the Sync Connect service, but has given no more details about it yet... what it does or even if 2016 Sync 3 will be able to have it installed. Sounds like it may be a new version of the 3g modem to support some additional features... but who knows... it may be the same old modem with some new Sync software. In any case, I am just waiting for more info before I spend $ on the old one. May be I can buy back some of the features I lost with Sync 3 that Sync 2 had like vehicle diagnostic reports...

If you have 2015 Sync 2, then you may as well use the old one, since I think the new Sync Connect is only for Sync 3.
I think its Sync 3; I didn't see the vehicle diagnostics report but I saw that I can connect my phone to Sync but it doesn't seem to want to do that all the way, the truck recognizes that I have the Ford owner app but it won't fully connect.

I don't plan to buy this module for awhile anyway; since I need to get the spray in bedliner put in first. Maybe I will buy this module before next winter? Heck who knows... maybe this summer? haha... yeah

Old 02-15-2016, 03:45 PM
VFRcanada
New User
Do you have to log into the App on the phone every time you want to use it?

Old 02-15-2016, 04:20 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
Originally Posted by VFRcanada
Do you have to log into the App on the phone every time you want to use it?
idk; it seems to keep me logged in (even though no vehicle is available)

with the Onstar app I had the option of staying logged in or at least remembering my login, etc. Like I said this is only useful if you're too far for the keyfob to do its magic, at my apartment this is usually the case.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
idk; it seems to keep me logged in (even though no vehicle is available)

with the Onstar app I had the option of staying logged in or at least remembering my login, etc. Like I said this is only useful if you're too far for the keyfob to do its magic, at my apartment this is usually the case.
As much as you complain you should have gotten a GM vehicle...

Josh

Old 02-15-2016, 05:14 PM
mynetdude
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
As much as you complain you should have gotten a GM vehicle...

Josh
GM doesn't have the features that I like in a Ford; seriously Ford lacks common sense just like the rest of the population .

I can say what I don't like whenever I want; so can you

Quick Reply: Remote Access App (Android)