6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Reverse lights

Old 02-09-2016, 07:18 AM
oxt127
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Reverse lights

With all the new LEDs available now I am wanting to put reverse lights on the back of my truck and also considering putting lights on my new trailer when I get it. 30' Travel Trailer.

Suggestions for mounting locations especially on the trailer? Or are they really needed if I have the truck lights out near the corners of the bumper?

My thinking is having the truck reverse lights wired to one of my aux switches and just have the trailer ones activated by the wiring in the trailer plug full time not bothering with a switch.

I did post a similar question in the trailer section but thought there are many of you with the truck lights who don't venture over there.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:01 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I like the flush mount Rigid SR-Q and SR-M lights. If the trailer has a rear bumper, put them in there just like people do on the trucks.

On the truck, instead of where they mounted them in the stock pics in the links below in the middle of the bumper, with the more curved 99-07 rear bumper if there's a flat enough spot you could put them further out towards the edge and lower; that would angle them out and down a little bit.

SR-Qs on the truck for more light up close, SR-Ms on the trailer because they're smaller and will fit in more places. If the flush mount doesn't work, both also come in an underslung version.

SR-M Flush Mount Back Up Light Kit Flush White... | Rigid Industries
SR-Q Flush Mount Back Up Light Kit Flush White... | Rigid Industries

http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/98002
http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/98000

Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 PM
oxt127
Senior User
I think those will be a little north of what I want to spend. I do know mounting into the bumper of the trailer will not work as that is storage for the black water drain hose

Old 02-09-2016, 06:35 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
recent thread on the subject. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-lighting.html

I used a set of LED light bars about 6"x1" off eBay. Paid $27 shipped to the house, a relay from Advance Auto $5 and a lighted switch in the cab $5.

Took about an hour. Works when the key is on and the lights are on, so I don't accidentally turn them on and leave the truck without seeing them in daylight. My switch is dark until its turned on, then an amber light. Powered by the trailer plug wiring with the key, relay powered by the light switch and grounded by the cab switch... I have to have all three energized to get the LEDs to come on... so they don't come on while driving down the road at night and blind the guy behind me as well.

I mounted low so you couldn't bump them, protected by the spare in case I drug the rear over something. Work great for back-up lights, great for hooking up the trailer and unloading the ATV from the bed. I can turn them on and see the trailers load at night to make sure its secure... wished I've had done this long ago!

Old 02-09-2016, 06:42 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
KC makes a flush mount that falls into the middle of the lumen output of the Rigids:
KC HiLites - C Series C3 LED Flush Mount - Flood Beam | 4WheelParts.com

Random other thing from 4 Wheel Parts:
Putco - Luminix High Power LED | 4WheelParts.com

To be useful as a reverse light the pattern needs to be really diffuse, meaning wide and tall. If you get a driving or spot pattern light, then it's not going to do anything but light up stuff far away, it won't help you with seeing the ground or objects near you.

I tired a set of cheap fog lights on the drawbar many years ago, they worked fine for about a year but then the wetness of being behind the rear tires ate them up because they were cheap and weren't sealed at all. That's why I like the higher-end flush mount ones in the bumper, up out of the way with nothing hanging down to back into something with and the seals are better (they actually HAVE seals) so they'll last longer.

It's a trade off right? Money now so they last 5 years, or a new set every other year or so if you get the super-cheap ones, maybe some middle ground with a decent brand like KC.

Bunch of install threads and part links:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...se-lights.html

I like the way this guy did round ones tucked up underneath in post 13 in this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ed-lights.html

Warn - Back-up light kit | 4WheelParts.com
KC HiLites - LED Backup Light | 4WheelParts.com
Amazon.com: Auxbeam® 2Pcs 7" 36W LED Work Light Bar 3600LM CREE 60 Degree Flood Beam for Jeep Off-road SUV Truck Car ATVs 4x4 4WD Boat: Automotive Amazon.com: Auxbeam® 2Pcs 7" 36W LED Work Light Bar 3600LM CREE 60 Degree Flood Beam for Jeep Off-road SUV Truck Car ATVs 4x4 4WD Boat: Automotive

Amazon.com: RioRand® 18w LED Spot Work Light 1800 Lumen 6500k 30 Degree Waterproof Light(1pcs): Automotive Amazon.com: RioRand® 18w LED Spot Work Light 1800 Lumen 6500k 30 Degree Waterproof Light(1pcs): Automotive

Old 02-09-2016, 09:25 PM
c delisio
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i bought a set of led pods w/ a 30 degree beam spread (more of a spot light) that i mounted on the two holes on the bottom of the bumper directly behind the tires. I aimed the lights at the ground and its perfect for lighting up everything you can see with your mirrors for about 100 feet behind you.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:03 AM
oxt127
Senior User
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
KC makes a flush mount that falls into the middle of the lumen output of the Rigids:
KC HiLites - C Series C3 LED Flush Mount - Flood Beam | 4WheelParts.com

Random other thing from 4 Wheel Parts:
Putco - Luminix High Power LED | 4WheelParts.com

To be useful as a reverse light the pattern needs to be really diffuse, meaning wide and tall. If you get a driving or spot pattern light, then it's not going to do anything but light up stuff far away, it won't help you with seeing the ground or objects near you.

I tired a set of cheap fog lights on the drawbar many years ago, they worked fine for about a year but then the wetness of being behind the rear tires ate them up because they were cheap and weren't sealed at all. That's why I like the higher-end flush mount ones in the bumper, up out of the way with nothing hanging down to back into something with and the seals are better (they actually HAVE seals) so they'll last longer.

It's a trade off right? Money now so they last 5 years, or a new set every other year or so if you get the super-cheap ones, maybe some middle ground with a decent brand like KC.

Bunch of install threads and part links:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...se-lights.html

I like the way this guy did round ones tucked up underneath in post 13 in this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ed-lights.html

Warn - Back-up light kit | 4WheelParts.com
KC HiLites - LED Backup Light | 4WheelParts.com
Amazon.com: Auxbeam® 2Pcs 7" 36W LED Work Light Bar 3600LM CREE 60 Degree Flood Beam for Jeep Off-road SUV Truck Car ATVs 4x4 4WD Boat: Automotive

Amazon.com: RioRand® 18w LED Spot Work Light 1800 Lumen 6500k 30 Degree Waterproof Light(1pcs): Automotive

I like post 13 as well, not so much post 15 where they guy drilled through the business side of his trailer hitch. I hope he doesn't haul heavy, seems like an integrity issue. The better option would have been to put them out side the vertical bracket which I saw in another post.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by WatsonR
I have to have all three energized to get the LEDs to come on... so they don't come on while driving down the road at night and blind the guy behind me as well.
You say that like its a bad thing??? . I would be temped to hook someone that is tailgating me!!

Good job by the way.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:18 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaneb75
You say that like its a bad thing??? . I would be temped to hook someone that is tailgating me!!
Good job by the way.
It prevents me from turning them on by accident... nothing about me turning them on for tailgaters!!!

Originally Posted by oxt127
I like post 13 as well, not so much post 15 where they guy drilled through the business side of his trailer hitch. I hope he doesn't haul heavy, seems like an integrity issue. The better option would have been to put them out side the vertical bracket which I saw in another post.
Your the second person to say that. I'd bet that trailer hitch is rated at twice the capacity its actually listed for. He drilled it with a pretty small hole, not a huge amount of material removed. Drilled mine as well and I pull a pretty large tractor pretty often

Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mounted my LED light bars on top of the tow hitch, between the hitch and bumper. I used a #8 machine screw to secure each bar to the hitch (2 total).
You clearly don't wanna swiss cheese the hitch, but I'm not gonna get concerned about a couple #8 screws.
Mine are wired to the reverse lights. I needed more light backing out of the woods.

Attached Images    
Old 02-10-2016, 10:35 AM
oxt127
Senior User
Originally Posted by Carolina Rig
I mounted my LED light bars on top of the tow hitch, between the hitch and bumper. I used a #8 machine screw to secure each bar to the hitch (2 total).
You clearly don't wanna swiss cheese the hitch, but I'm not gonna get concerned about a couple #8 screws.
Mine are wired to the reverse lights. I needed more light backing out of the woods.
That's a nice spot, I wouldn't have considered it given there's not a lot of room.
Where are your light from?

Old 02-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Carolina Rig
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I kinda went back and forth on mounting location, and then realized that on my truck, there's about an inch clearance vertically between hitch and bumper. So I went on the top surface. Part of my waffling was because the trailer wiring connector blocks a portion of the bar on that side, so I ended up moving it over toward the center of the hitch, and it's only using 1 mount hole now, but that ended up being no big deal.

I got those from 911lights.com
That model is the Feniex Titan 9"L, x .95"H x 1.5"W.

There are gobs and gobs of these at Ebay and Amazon now, since the whole lightbar craze is essentially full-on right now.

I would like to get some decent 3"x3" pods to replace the factory fog lights next , so I have good forward lighting next.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:51 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm the strange one. I mounted mine with magnets so I could move them when needed.

Attached Images     
Old 02-10-2016, 02:13 PM
oxt127
Senior User
I do like the magnets, i remember reading about that in another thread. What did you use?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:36 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by oxt127
I do like the magnets, i remember reading about that in another thread. What did you use?
Picked them up at Harbor freight. They already had holes in them. Just bolted the lights to them.

They have been hanging there for about three years. Never have come off.