6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help in bay area PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:33 PM
Flatty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help in bay area PLEASE

OK, I am completely done. I have totally outworked my abilities and now I have a 7000 lb paperweight.

I have a High pressure oil leak somewhere, and honestly have NO idea where it can be. I tore the oil rails out and replaced the nipple cup seals last night. I got it all back together and air tested it and sure enough a leak is present. Is there anyone that is great with these motors that can lend a hand? I have no problem paying for your time (I always provide good beer). I can rebuild gas motors all day long, but these diesels has me thrown for a loop. The frustration I am experiencing is crazy at this point. All the injectors are new, and the dummy plugs and standpipes were replaced as well.

Thanks for any help you may offer.
btw, I am in Redwood city.
Dima

Old 02-08-2016, 09:36 PM
jmaskew
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Can you provide ICP volts and IPR %? Did you pull the IPR valve and check the little screen on the end? Does the truck fire up if you unplug the ICP sensor?

Old 02-08-2016, 10:30 PM
dr67
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flatty
OK, I am completely done. I have totally outworked my abilities and now I have a 7000 lb paperweight.

I have a High pressure oil leak somewhere, and honestly have NO idea where it can be. I tore the oil rails out and replaced the nipple cup seals last night. I got it all back together and air tested it and sure enough a leak is present. Is there anyone that is great with these motors that can lend a hand? I have no problem paying for your time (I always provide good beer). I can rebuild gas motors all day long, but these diesels has me thrown for a loop. The frustration I am experiencing is crazy at this point. All the injectors are new, and the dummy plugs and standpipes were replaced as well.

Thanks for any help you may offer.
btw, I am in Redwood city.
Dima
I am about 3 hours north of you. Can you provide any more info on the motor? What made you air test it? What year? the High pressure oil system is fairly simple with very few parts. I know if the injector nipple seal area is empty of oil the injectors will blow air out the exhaust ports.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 AM
Flatty
New User
Originally Posted by dr67
I am about 3 hours north of you. Can you provide any more info on the motor? What made you air test it? What year? the High pressure oil system is fairly simple with very few parts. I know if the injector nipple seal area is empty of oil the injectors will blow air out the exhaust ports.

Back story is pretty straightforward (but expensive).

at about 80k I had a full bulletproof kit done with a new FICM
at 110k I had injectors done, turbo done, Dummy Plugs, Standpipes, ICP, IPR... All done

At 115k I started developing an intermittent dead pedal when the oil heated up only at FWY speeds. It finally left me deal in the ater on the side of the freewway. After an hour, it fired back up.

Came home and ordered and scangauge. Put the gauge on and started getting numbers. Everything was fine until the truck would start the dead pedal. The IPR values would drop to 200 and the ICP would spike at 85. Truck died again and took another hour to fire it up.

Brought it home and started working on it. Figured it was the STC fitting. Bought a new oil pump with a new STC fitting. Installed both and fired it back up. Same thing.

Took some air to the ICP fitting. Got a leak in the passenger side oil rail

Tore the valve cover off, and the oil rail off. Replaced the nipple cup seals. threw it back in, and the air leak seemed ot get worse??? Now I am beyond frustrated. I don't know if the dummy plug or the standpipes are bad, or if the injector seals are bad, or if the actual nipple cups are bad. The nipple cups look a bit scored, but not sure if its bad enough.

Like I said. if its gas, I can fix anything. This is Diesel, so it means I don't understand it.

Thanks
Dima

Old 02-09-2016, 12:32 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you energize the IPR while air testing?

Old 02-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Flatty
New User
Originally Posted by dlibson
Did you energize the IPR while air testing?
Indeed I did... I seemed ot have gotten most of the air to stop when energized, but a portion still didnt' stop.

Thanks
Dimitri

Old 02-09-2016, 12:38 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll always have a little noise. Which kit did you use for the nipple orings. Did you check the injector top rings? They fail a lot, and if the nipples were bad, it wrecks them too. I'd check those.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:08 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
IPR energized should be no air leaks, even a little one will kill you. That indicator was your driving down the road, fully warm and truck dies. It won't restart until its cooled off a bit. What happened is that hot oil doesn't build pressure like cold oil does. That cooler oil is harder to flow thru a small crack, but flows easily once hot.

After a period of time and all the oil is blown out of the rails, it will start to show signs of a leak by allowing air to pass.

You said ICP was 200 and IPR was 85%. That's the IPR fully open waiting for pressure to arrive and the ICP reporting only 200psi was sent.

Any rough areas, small nicks, smashed o-rings, a damaged o-ring on a brand new dummy plug... don't just assume that is was good because it was new. One dummy plug with a bad o-ring can cause your issue. A damaged injector top o-ring... see any leaking from an injector with the valve cover off?

Old 02-09-2016, 08:33 PM
jlillie
Senior User
What year is your truck? 03 or 04?
This may or may not help but I watched this vid a while back and reading about your issue i thought of it.
I know some folks on here dont like Bill Hewitt but I learned so much from this man over the past year when i was researching the 6.0
Anyway, check this out. Hopefully it helps....

Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 46 Posts
Has the IPR been replaced? The valve cold be sticking.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:49 PM
Flatty
New User
Finally got it all back apart. I put the o-rings from HHC diesel in, so I figured why not call them and see whats up. I will write up a short report about them in a bit, but I will sau this... If anyone is thinking about using them... USE THEM!!!! They are amazing!!!! He told me it sounded like the nipple cups could be bad and I shoudl check them out I pulled them apart, and shot Mark a picture od the niple cup. Sure enough, that may be the problem. I bought new nipple cups and had them overnighted to me. They are sitting on my toolbench in oil right now. I will be installing them tomorrow and slapping the truck back together. Will keep everyone updated.

Dima

Old 02-11-2016, 03:30 PM
dr67
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flatty
Finally got it all back apart. I put the o-rings from HHC diesel in, so I figured why not call them and see whats up. I will write up a short report about them in a bit, but I will sau this... If anyone is thinking about using them... USE THEM!!!! They are amazing!!!! He told me it sounded like the nipple cups could be bad and I shoudl check them out I pulled them apart, and shot Mark a picture od the niple cup. Sure enough, that may be the problem. I bought new nipple cups and had them overnighted to me. They are sitting on my toolbench in oil right now. I will be installing them tomorrow and slapping the truck back together. Will keep everyone updated.

Dima
I sure hope that fixes it for you. There is nothing more frustrating then chasing a problem like this.