Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 06:55 AM
geterdone
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question motor

changing from fuel injection over to carberator.easy , pain in the kester?
1990 f250 351 4x4
i finally got my truck to start. replaced computer. now it seems like it is getting to much fuel.as soon as you hit the gas pedal. it boggs down, right away.

Old 08-10-2003, 09:53 AM
jwtaylor
Postmaster
motor

No it is not that big a deal at all. It depends on your emissions laws etc. as to weather you can. If you can get your efi straight go with it. If you just want a carb nothing wrong with that either. All you need is a carb/intake for the 351, you will need an electric fuel pump that will supply the required 6-7 psi you could use a regulator with existing pump but that is a lot of strain on it to bring your psi down that far not to say it couldn't be done besides an electric fuel pump for the carb can be found for a few dollars more than an adjustable regulator. You will need an aftermarket ignition system or you could go pull a durasparkII off a 351 and get the distributor/ module, if you got the money get a msd box with a durasparkII distributor. The cam should work, however not desinged for carb. Many people strive for efi on their carb so again I would try and straighten that out first, however a properly tuned carb works just fine, not too big of a deal. Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide

Old 08-10-2003, 03:54 PM
90f150moneypit
Posting Guru
motor

You can get a 3 way regulator. It has ports for high pressure in, intake out and return (luckily the efi system is already plumbed for a return line). This is much better than a "dead head" regulator, as jwtaylor mentioned, this type would put a large strain on the stock pump.

What tranny do you have. This also must be considered. If it is a manual, no problem. If it's an AOD there are a couple extra parts and steps that need to be addressed. If you do go carb, let me know. I know what is needed (parts wise only) for the AOD linkage (there's only two parts).

If you want to stay EFI, pull the codes following the Haynes manual to find out what is going on with the sensors.

Good luck!