1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Back to building a truck. Been gone to long and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 10:34 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to building a truck. Been gone to long and need some help

After a year of not touching the 49 I finally got my ambition back and am ready to finish my build. It's been almost a year. The last time I touched the truck was when I tried installing the headliner from Mac's with a disastrous result. The headliner was cheap cardboard and I ended up crushing it while trying to make it fit. About a month ago I looked at it again. With a pair of snips I trimmed it to fit proper then fiberglassed the seams between the roof panel and the door panel section to make a 1 piece solid headliner. Glued some foam to it and am in the final stage of applying the fabric. Just need to stitch the pleats in the material at the back corners and its ready to mount.
Which brings me to my next small dilemma. I have a hanging brake pedal and a firewall mounted gas pedal. What I need is pics from others who have done the same combination. I am trying to figure out how to mount the gas pedal in relation to the brake pedal. How far to the side, how much lower than the brake pedal, things like that. Please post some pics so I can figure this issue out. Thanks for your help. It's good to be back by the way.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:11 PM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i see you are in lethbridge, i bought my 68 merc 2wd M100 there in 1996, my friend brent kirchner's father has kirchner equip co there, i know this had nothing to do with your build but it hit me that its a small world sometimes,
Jess

Old 02-07-2016, 11:14 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Welcome back! I was hoping you weren't gone for good.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:08 AM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Originally Posted by tinman52
Welcome back! I was hoping you weren't gone for good.
No just needed a break. That headliner had me so ticked I just lost interest for the summer. Gave me some time to regroup and come up with a different plan which seems to be working. Now Im trying to figure out the spacing between pedals. The way it is now, when I hit the brake I hit the gas too. Not cool. I was hoping some of the ones with trucks at or beyond this stage would pipe in. Good to hear from you though. Never made it across the border once last year. I have followed some of your build though. Looks good.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:29 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I use boneyard stuff, so not sure if that helps or not, but I always get a matched set of power booster and pedal set mount. Takes away the guessing on pedal ratio.

I have used S10, 78-88 G body (monte carlo, cutlass, etc..), and 93-97 F body setups (Camaro, firebird). I will be doing a 1994 B body pedal set install next into my 41 caddy shortly.

I do the install with the anticipation of having to modify the brake pedal, either length, angle, or both, so I don't try and make the pedal fit as is. If I can great but not a deal breaker.

First off I find a place on the firewall that looks good and clears everything under the hood, including allowing room for engine servicing and making sure the hood will close. I then eyeball where the mount will be under the dash and adjust as necessary to have enough clearance for the initial few inches of the brake pedal to come down without hitting anything. Once I find a happy spot it gets mounted. Sometimes I have to make a bumpout on the firewall at the mounting point, sometimes I have to make a recess. Depends on how the factory mounting was and where the underdash mount needs to be to get the right amount of pedal sweep. Then the pedal can be modded as needed to be directly under the column (where I like it) or offset to the left a bit if the gas pedal area is tight. Nothing worse than having the gas and brake pedal too close so that the gas can be hit instead of the brake.
Pedal height I set by feel, just sit in the seat and see what is comfortable.

Bracing will need to be added as necessary to tie the pedal mount to the dash.

I have pics in both of my build threads using the 93-97 F body pedals.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:09 PM
Holehawgg
Senior User
Originally Posted by drptop70ss

Nothing worse than having the gas and brake pedal too close so that the gas can be hit instead of the brake.

I have pics in both of my build threads using the 93-97 F body pedals.
Been playing with the height of the gas pedal but I may need to rework the brake pedal again to get everything right. I was looking for some pics to see where I went wrong and what I need to change. I will check out your build pics. Thanks