6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Use of Cetane booster

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 09:42 PM
PDXDave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Use of Cetane booster

Hey everyone, I have read a couple of threads on using Cetane booster but I am not finding out anything about the quantity to use. I just bought my first diesel just before Christmas 2015. I took it in to the Ford dealer to do a LOF/fuel filter change not knowing how long since it been done last. They talked to me about buying the Motorcraft Cetane booster which I ended up buying two bottles to have on hand. I was watching a video on this stuff and it says to add 4 oz's on every fill up. So here is my question, wouldn't that be short on the proper amount seeing as my 2014 6.7L has a 35 gallon tank? It seems to me that I would be diluting the booster with fuel by not putting enough in to match the amount of fuel in the tank. I was thinking that I should put in 35 gallons worth on my next fill up because there isn't any in there currently and then figure out how much I need to add next time I fill up again. Does that makes sense?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 02-06-2016, 10:38 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
4 oz per 25 gallons.

Yes, you are correct to assume there is none in the tank. So presuming 37.5 to make the math easy, put in 6 of and fill it up. Reset trip A fuel consumption. Next time, read gallons used on trip A and add 4 oz per 25 used.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:06 PM
PDXDave
New User
Thanks...the only thing I did not know defnitely was how much to start with. I suck at math to be honest so that is why I posted my question here.

Dave

Old 02-07-2016, 12:31 AM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dave check out optilube. They have a summer formula you can mix 2,560:1 and also has cetane. Great product for the price.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:53 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by PDXDave
[COLOR="Blue"]I was watching a video on this stuff and it says to add 4 oz's on every fill up.
It is 4 ounces to 25 gallons. Not really a big deal. Many never use it, many sometimes use it and many use it all the time.

I fall "almost" in the last category. I buy it by the case and try to use it all the time, regular in the warm months, the gel version when it gets really cold.

If I had to guess, I would say I use the 4/25 ratio 8-9 times out of 10 fill ups.

When I have slacked off a bit I will bump the additive ratio at the next fill up (which was 1.599 a gallon yesterday)
Point is, you do not have to be perfect with the ratio, although it wouldn't hurt.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by porthole
It is 4 ounces to 25 gallons. Not really a big deal. Many never use it, many sometimes use it and many use it all the time.

I fall "almost" in the last category. I buy it by the case and try to use it all the time, regular in the warm months, the gel version when it gets really cold.

If I had to guess, I would say I use the 4/25 ratio 8-9 times out of 10 fill ups.

When I have slacked off a bit I will bump the additive ratio at the next fill up (which was 1.599 a gallon yesterday)
Point is, you do not have to be perfect with the ratio, although it wouldn't hurt.
Optilube Summer Plus is probably the most cost effective, using only 1-2 Oz per 25 gallons. It was also a top performer in the 2007 study.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:18 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Ok, but how does it stack up on a newer study, at least new enough where the 6.7 is concerned?

I just looked it up, 1 gallon to 2560 gallons, that equals 1 ounce to 20 gallons.
Amazon
Robot Check Robot Check
1 gallon = $55 plus shipping ($16)

PM22
Amazon
Robot Check Robot Check
1 gallon = $55 plus free shipping

I may not be a math wizard, but at least through Amazon PM-22 is a clear winner in cost per gallon, and it gets the FoMoCO's recommendation.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other additives may be more cost effective, but as long as my truck is under Factory Warranty, I will only use PM-22 in the Fuel. I buy it by the Gallon.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:33 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Ok, but how does it stack up on a newer study, at least new enough where the 6.7 is concerned?
There are no newer studies, but the 6.7 is just another diesel engine as far as fuel goes. We would all love a new study but the place that did the last one couldn't pull another one together because of a combination of money, time and politics.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:37 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
but the 6.7 is just another diesel engine as far as fuel goes.
Not really. The fuel and emission systems in all the new diesels are not what they were in 2007

Old 02-07-2016, 10:14 AM
PDXDave
New User
Thanks for all the replies. Being new to diesel trucks I am a bit leary of jumping in trying things without checking it out first.

I watched a video from POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics last night about using Archoil. Has anyone tried Archoil for an oil additive as well as a fuel additive?

Dave

Old 02-07-2016, 10:47 AM
SkiSmuggs
Posting Guru
Not really. The fuel and emission systems in all the new diesels are not what they were in 2007
But the diesel fuel is the same so cetane and lubricity boosters still make sense. The DPF systems benefit even more from reduced soot.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:08 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The only thing to need to remember about oil is CJ plus rating and oem filters. No additives needed. Anti-gel fuel additive in colder climates and I use nothing otherwise. I threw a lot of money in the tank of my 6.0 for basically nothing. Just remember on time maintenance and oem filters. Also, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:32 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

2006-2007 is when USLD fuel became mandated and mainstream.
So any study done in 2007 needs to be qualified that it was done with the fuels at the time.
Since no link for this study was provided it is kind of hard to qualify the blanket statement that a study on additives that was published 2007 is accurate for today.

But if you decide to use an additive, and it is debatable if even needed, why use something that cost more and has no track record other then a test done 10 years ago?

The fuel requirement for each of the big 3 using the same pump has changed.
When I had my 2006 GMC I would occasionally add a quart of ATF or two stroke oil to the tank. I wouldn't think of doing that on any of the new diesels.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, if I decide to add anything to the fuel, it will be approved by the manufacturers.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Unless the additive is approved by manufacturer. It might void warranty. Read the additive fine print.

Quick Reply: Use of Cetane booster