Sponsored by: Moser

F100 Camshaft Recommendations wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 08:59 PM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts
F100 Camshaft Recommendations wanted

In the planning stages of an engine replacement and looking for input on the best cam for my application. I understand how cams work but I don't have enough experience with comparing different cams to know the dynamic differences and would prefer to not make my selection based on trial and error.

So...

The application is a 75 F100, 4x4, 390, Short-bed, NP435, w/ 33" tires and 3.50 gears. Mostly street. A bit of off-road action, some towing. I plan on putting a Holley Sniper EFI on it during the installation. Aside from a cam upgrade, an edelbrock performer intake and Sanderson Headers, not much is being done to the engine other than the stock rebuild including iron heads. The exhaust is to be pleasantly loud and large (2.5"-3") but not flashy. I am creating an expression of myself; a work of art.

To be honest I don't know exactly what I want in a cam. I have read recommendations for RV Cams but this isn't all that specific. I want it to maintain 'driveability' but basically wake it up as much as the stock valvetrain will allow with respect to the light 4x4 pickup truck application. I figure a cam is a cheap source for extra performance. Other than my family boat, I don't anticipate towing huge loads so semi-truck torque beyond with the weight of the truck will allow for isn't an absolute necessity but knowing the engine isn't the weak link is a pleasant thought. The current engine with 2bbl intake and exhaust logs seems to make an incredible amount of unstoppable power but the more the merrier.

I appreciate any thoughts shared...

cross-posted: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16019892

Old 02-07-2016, 07:17 AM
badboogernx
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd call up Bullet cams and talk to Mark. He will grind something custom or point you in the right direction.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:37 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Grab Edelbrock's Performer or Performer RPM cam and lifters kit and never look back. ...

Old 02-07-2016, 11:54 AM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Grab Edelbrock's Performer or Performer RPM cam and lifters kit and never look back. ...
Like this? Does it require new lifter springs? It says they are required but that's kinda a given even with factory cams.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2106

Brand:Edelbrock
Manufacturer's Part Number: 2106
Part Type:Camshaft Kits
Product Line:Edelbrock Performer-Plus Cam and Lifter Kits
Summit Racing Part Number:EDL-2106
UPC: 085347021062
Cam Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: Idle-5,500
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 194
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 204
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 194 int./204 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 272
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 282
Advertised Duration: 272 int./282 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.460 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.480 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.460 int./0.480 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110
Computer-Controlled Compatible: No
Lifters Included: Yes
Lifter Style: Hydraulic flat tappet
Valve Springs Included: No
Retainers Included: No
Locks Included: No
Valve Stem Seals Included: No
Timing Chain and Gears Included: No
Assembly Lubricant Included: Yes
Pushrods Included: No
Rocker Arms Included: No
Gaskets Included: No
Valve Springs Required: Yes
Quantity: Sold as a kit.
Notes: Will not fit factory Ford FE solid lifter engine blocks.
Description: Edelbrock's Performer-Plus cam and lifter kits are designed for optimum torque from the low-end to the mid-range. They feature smooth idling cams for daily drivers, trucks, vans, RVs, and 4x4s. They offer improved throttle response and torque. Each kit includes a camshaft, hydraulic lifters, assembly lube, and instructions.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:12 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
That's the one.... valve springs are not required but ya oughtta get them checked (open and closed spring pressure) when the heads are rebuilt so see if any are weak already. Valve float is bad!

Btw, there are small things you can do at home before turning in the block and heads for machining... - grab a set of carbide burrs and an abrasive roll kit and....:
  • Gasket match the intake and exhaust ports.
  • Smooth the first inch of each intake and exhaust port. No need to get carried away hogging them out, all ya want to clean up the rough casting.
  • Gasket match the headers' ports too.
  • Radius and smooth the block and heads' oil drain back holes.
  • Tap and thread some oil restrictors under the heads' rocker stands to promote oiling the mains.
  • Taper the mains' oiling holes.
  • Tap the rear oil gallery ports for threaded pipe plugs instead of tap-in core plugs.

I would also smooth the block's exterior... There are usually casting sprue that can cut your hands. I used a grinder with a 36-grit flap wheel. Also knock off the hard corners/edges with a quick pass of a carbide burr.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:35 PM
7Ford6
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tml#post689056

this build or the next size up crane cam, depending on your desired cruise rpm..

343901 - Good low end torque, smooth idle, daily usage, off road,towing, economy, also mild turbocharged, 2200-2600 cruise RPM, 8.0 to 9.5 compression ratio advise

343941 - Good low and mid-range torque, good idle, daily usage and off road, towing, performance and fuel efficiency, 2600-3000 cruise RPM, 8.75 to 10.75 compression ratio advised

http://www.cranecams.com/244-245.pdf

Old 02-09-2016, 10:17 AM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Comp cams Xtreme energy line is what you need

Old 02-09-2016, 10:58 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you will notice, camshafts are much like mufflers. Many will yield you good results and the end result can be very, very subjective to personal opinion.

Most likely every one that has been mentioned will work well.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:30 PM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
extreme energy line from comp...268

Old 02-09-2016, 01:16 PM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
If you will notice, camshafts are much like mufflers. Many will yield you good results and the end result can be very, very subjective to personal opinion.

Most likely every one that has been mentioned will work well.
yeah... This is good though... Gives me a few things to consider that are within the parameters I set. I think I will end up with the Edelbrock 2106. They claim it can bump torque up over 400lbs which is probably sufficient. Hopefully with the intake and header upgrades on an otherwise stock engine this is true.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:22 PM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
Question on the Edelbrock 2106... I am planning on installing a Holley Sniper EFI on here. Edelbrocks cam says 'Computer-Controlled Compatible: No'. These carburetor replacing efi units don't seem to mention anything about special cams being required so I can only assume this is referring to systems requiring a cam position sensor.

Can anyone provide any insight on this?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Justin Jones
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crazy96863
yeah... This is good though... Gives me a few things to consider that are within the parameters I set. I think I will end up with the Edelbrock 2106. They claim it can bump torque up over 400lbs which is probably sufficient. Hopefully with the intake and header upgrades on an otherwise stock engine this is true.
Anything the Edelbrock can do, the Comp can do better. If you're really serious about this engine, get a recommendation for a custom from one of the custom cam designers. I know I'll probably get flamed for this but you could have one that will do exactly what you want it to do.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:45 PM
tabascom16
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't go any bigger than something like the Comp Cams XE256H. I have the next step up in a 408W for a Bronco with aftermarket heads, intake, rockers, etc, and even then the peak torque for the cam is above 3500 rpm and there is slight hesitation off idle until it starts getting into its power band.

High duration cams make you lose lots of low end torque and make power WAY beyond where you will normally be running cruising around town. People typically always get way to big of a cam.

I think EFI likes a larger lobe separation angle cam. Just read up on it on the internet.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:02 PM
crazy96863
Cargo Master
I am going with the Edelbrock 2106 as it seems to offer the most return for the least cost. I read up on it at the Edelbrock website and it can be swapped in to an otherwise stock engine not requiring valve springs and such. All as HIO Silver advised...

I also decided to simply rebuild myself. It's going to the machine shop here in about an hour. Everything external seems to be shot but the insides was in surprisingly good condition. So it shouldn't take too long I hope. The heads will probably need most of the attention. Will post updates as they occur.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:37 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
When you get the heads redone you want to make sure all the valve tip heights are the same. With non adjustable rail rockers it is very important. Your aftermarket cam will have a different base circle so using a stock push rod length will probably be out of the question unless you can get away with adjusting the stands height enough to fix the problem. Don't forget to add the lifters preload figure to your new push rod length when ordering new ones.

Quick Reply: F100 Camshaft Recommendations wanted