1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Because Race Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:43 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow!

Put a camper on it as a joke. Gut the camper so it's manageable. Then drive through town....

Old 03-24-2017, 11:46 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
That would be a real sleeper!

Old 03-25-2017, 12:10 AM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Can you imagine the rear door flying open and a body falling out! OH the laughs.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:06 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dclack
I don't get why this isn't working for you. I just did it from my phone but on the desktop site.
im not sure why it's not working either. It's gotta be something to do with me using the mobile site. I'll try switching to the desktop site next time.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:08 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Wow, that thing sounds and looks great Travis! I hope the maiden voyage at the track goes well.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:23 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Today we were hoping to just get the trans tuning ironed out and get the new charge cable built so the battery shut off would kill the truck. We got the battery shut off working, but ran into more issues after running the truck.

i have two 3/4" CCV hoses routed to atmosphere. After two spirited runs i parked it in the shop to play with shift points and it started dripping oil from the back of the pan and out of both ccv hoses. Not a terrible amount, but i believe i need more crankcase vent. So i spent a few hours looking for a catch can and got that ordered. I plan to go back to a single ccv and route it back to the intake after the catch can. Hopefully the turbo pulling vacuum on it will help. If not, ill add a second catch can and run the 2nd ccv to the intake as well.

Also, it has gotten more difficult to spool and stay on top of the turbo. While i was looking at the oil leak, i notice that there's a bunch of soot under the driver side of the truck and on the firewall. One of the exhaust manifold bolts broke and it's leaking like crazy out the back exhaust port. That took the wind out of my sails and i called it a day. I'm going to try to get a nut welded on the bolt and see if I can get it out of there. Hopefully it will seal up again if i can get another bolt in it. If i cant get it fixed, i dont think it will be competitive in the class i plan to run in. It will need to run close to 11.90 to be competitive and i dont think it'll do that falling off the turbo going into 3rd and again in OD.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:22 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Don't get too discouraged Travis. It's all in part of building a race car/truck. I've been down that road. It'll all come together for ya.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:01 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Don't get too discouraged Travis. It's all in part of building a race car/truck. I've been down that road. It'll all come together for ya.
I know. It'll come together eventually. Its just getting so close to the event, idk if it'll make this one. Especially since i wont have the truck for a week or two and it still wont even spool and stay spooled all the way through a run. Lol.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:36 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear you've had a small setback. I think you'll work through this okay, though. Keep your eye on the prize...

Old 03-27-2017, 09:52 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Sorry to hear you've had a small setback. I think you'll work through this okay, though. Keep your eye on the prize...
its all good. Tonight im going to try to weld a nut to the broken bolt and see if i can get it out of there. Gonna be interesting trying to fit the mig in that small space. Might even be easier to bend a half or 3/4 used welding rod and use the arc welder in there. Lol.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:33 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
its all good. Tonight im going to try to weld a nut to the broken bolt and see if i can get it out of there. Gonna be interesting trying to fit the mig in that small space. Might even be easier to bend a half or 3/4 used welding rod and use the arc welder in there. Lol.
I have had luck grabbing the stud with vice grips and turning it out. Takes a while but you only need a little bit.

Or better yet. Center punch the broken stud and use a left had drill bit you may get lucky.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:46 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nateairman
I have had luck grabbing the stud with vice grips and turning it out. Takes a while but you only need a little bit.

Or better yet. Center punch the broken stud and use a left had drill bit you may get lucky.
i thought about a left handed drill bit, but didnt have space to get the drill in there. I tried vice grips too, but couldnt fit them between the manifold and firewall. I ended up getting a friend to help me out with it and with 4 hands we were able to get a nut barely tack welded on there and the stud spun out easily. Got a new bolt in there and it's not leaking now. It runs a lot better now. This setup doesnt like any amount of drive pressure leakage. Lol.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:24 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
i thought about a left handed drill bit, but didnt have space to get the drill in there. I tried vice grips too, but couldnt fit them between the manifold and firewall. I ended up getting a friend to help me out with it and with 4 hands we were able to get a nut barely tack welded on there and the stud spun out easily. Got a new bolt in there and it's not leaking now. It runs a lot better now. This setup doesnt like any amount of drive pressure leakage. Lol.
Awesome! I love it when things sorta work out... kinda like unbolting leaf springs on a parts truck.... and have a bolt and a nut in your hands not a bunch of magma from cutting them out.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
And the truck continues to fight it's fate. I picked it up from my buddy's body shop today and moved it to another friend's place. I decided to drive it instead of trailering it. It turned out that the last trans tune i built i accidentally changed the TC lock up to never lock below a certain coolant temp and since the PCS isnt recieving coolant temp that meant the TC would never lock. Self inflicted issue that took 2 minutes with the laptop to fix.

Took it for a drive after fixing the TC lockup and it threw the belt off about 1/2 a mile down the road and i overheated it to the point that it blew coolant everywhere from the degas bottle. My alternator wasnt charging great which is why i didnt notice the voltage drop. So... I'm going to try a dual tensioner and see if that corrects that issue. The belt didn't break. It simply flew off. The alternator has rubber dust all around the pulley and the belt has some molten rubber in the grooves. So hopefully it was just slipping on the alternator and the tensioner fixes it. Find out tomorrow morning.

also, the shop that was supposed to do the cage sort of flaked out. I was supposed to deliver it tomorrow and now they dont seem to want it. So im looking for another shop to do that.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:04 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll get it eventually. Just look at how far you've come already.

Quick Reply: Because Race Truck