3 speed - No 2nd gear??

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 02:04 AM
CodyJames
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 speed - No 2nd gear??

Hi guys.
I'm new here, but I've been lurking for the past few days and have gathered loads of useful knowledge! Thank you!

Here's the deal, I just picked up a 1958 F100 with a 223 I6 and 3 speed on the column. I'm stoked! (This is my first old truck). She runs great, but I'm having a trans issue. I've searched all over, but can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

***Short version: 2nd gear feels like neutral***

Long version: 1st, 3rd, and R work great, but 2nd gear is nowhere to be found... ...I can throw the shifter in and out of '2nd' while the clutch is still engaged (motor running), and it pivots/locks into place with no grind/resistance, but no gear engagement. It's basically still in neutral.
Thinking that the linkage was binding up, I completely disconnected it from the fork/paddle sticking out of the side of the gear box, and pushed the paddle by hand as far as it would go towards 2nd. It's definitely moving freely, and travels as far up as it should. It locks into place, but still no gear.

I'm not very experienced with the inner workings of the gear box, but I'm assuming maybe something slipped out of place. Does that make sense? I'm planning on cracking it open soon, but I need a little bit of insight beforehand.

Any ideas?

--Cody

Old 02-06-2016, 12:38 PM
economan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Superduper simple little transmission,
I haven't had one for nearly 20 years as i switched over to V-8 & auto power.
But no need to have much trepidation about cracking into it.
I'm sure there must be diagrams & exploded views to be found online.
If not I'm sure someone here will be able to offer some insight.
If you are really stuck and need paper diagrams lemmee know & i can put some in the post to you as i have a factory service manual somewhere round here i can photocopy from.
Mikie
near ottawa canada
58 M-100 panel & 64 econoline pickup

Old 02-06-2016, 12:57 PM
CodyJames
New User
Thanks for the reply Mikie!
I can't seem to find a diagram online, but probably because I don't know the model name/number of the trans...
I'm gonna go pull it off the truck and take the side cover off to inspect the synchro ring. I wonder if the inside surface is worn, and it's just slipping on the outer surface of the gear cone. We'll see what happens.
--Cody

Old 02-06-2016, 02:54 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 587 Likes on 527 Posts

Well, it kind of sounds like you need to get a '58 shop manual. This pic is from the manual for a '60, don't really know if there are many differences. By looking at this pic your syptoms don't sound good but it should be kind of fun tearing into the thing and seeing what makes it tick!

Old 02-06-2016, 03:09 PM
f5fordgirl
Laughing Gas
Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts
It sounds like little teeth on second gear that the sliding collar meshes into are worn completely off.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:08 PM
CodyJames
New User
Thanks guys! I took the side off and the teeth for 2nd gear are definitely gone.
So the big question is: Where do I get a new intermediate gear? Does anyone have the part #

Old 02-06-2016, 09:23 PM
economan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
someone here must have one....
lotta the ol' riginal drivelines have been chucked out for bigger...and more modern ones.
unfortunately i gave alla my 223 'riginal stuff away many moons ago

Mikie
near ottawa canada
58 M-100 panel & 64 econoline p/u

Old 02-06-2016, 09:31 PM
CodyJames
New User
Originally Posted by economan
someone here must have one....
lotta the ol' riginal drivelines have been chucked out for bigger...and more modern ones.
unfortunately i gave alla my 223 'riginal stuff away many moons ago

Mikie
near ottawa canada
58 M-100 panel & 64 econoline p/u
Man, I'm having a tough time finding one. Now I'm questioning whether it would even be worth it.
I know eventually I'd like to get a 5 speed in there, so I'm currently trying to wrap my head around the T5 swap for an immediate upgrade.
I just wanna drive my truck already. haha

Old 02-08-2016, 04:25 PM
hardlyrider
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen the gears on eBay. I don't know the number, but if Bill (numberdummy) catches this thread, he can get it for you. You could PM him. Or, you can try
Main or www.nospartsltd.com NOS Parts Ltd is an independent parts warehouse that specializes in providing Obsolete New Old Stock Ford parts for Ford and Lincoln - Mercury cars and trucks..

If you don't find a gear and are interested in a transmission, I have the 3 speed out of my '58.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:56 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Old 02-08-2016, 09:24 PM
CodyJames
New User
Thanks guys! I actually found a 3 speed from I think a 54 f100 about 70 miles from me. Picked it up over the weekend and slid her in.
I fired it up tonight and grabbed some gears!! She shifts good! Now I gotta figure out why I have no headlights haha.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 PM
59f100mike
Freshman User
I swapped in a mustang t5 with a s10 extension housing to move the shifter forward.It is so much nicer than the stock 3sp.If you dig around online there is a lot of info on the t5 swaps but not for our trucks.It does require machining of parts.It was worth doing even though I'm changing the whole drive train now.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:57 PM
CodyJames
New User
Originally Posted by 59f100mike
I swapped in a mustang t5 with a s10 extension housing to move the shifter forward.It is so much nicer than the stock 3sp.If you dig around online there is a lot of info on the t5 swaps but not for our trucks.It does require machining of parts.It was worth doing even though I'm changing the whole drive train now.
I've read through a few write ups and discussions about the mustang T5 with S-10 tail. I've went as far as somewhat pricing out the parts list, but I keep getting stuck on the clutch bits.
From what I understand, you'd want to use a pre-94' T5 if modifying the 223 bell housing to bolt up instead of using an adapter plate, because the input shaft is already the correct length. Does this sound right? ...If you don't mind me asking, what setup did you go with? I understand I'd need to source a 'special' T/O bearing and pilot..? Just not positive about the correct year T5 (for proper input shaft length), clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, T/O bearing and all that. I'll be doing tons of research before I buy anything.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:46 PM
59f100mike
Freshman User
Pre 94 ford t5.i used the stock 59 223 pressure plate and t/o bearing.I machined an adapter to make the 59 t/o bearing work on the t5 front bearing retainer.I also machined the t5 front bearing retainer down to fit the 59 bell housing. two of the four t5 mounting bolts line up with the 59 bellhousing.You have to weld bushings into the bellhousing for the other two. the clutch disc I used was from an early 80' mustang.I think I have a picture of the bell housing somewhere.search john mummert .he offers the parts and services to do the converson but I was to cheap to pay his prices and he does it a little differently

Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 PM
CodyJames
New User
Originally Posted by 59f100mike
Pre 94 ford t5.i used the stock 59 223 pressure plate and t/o bearing.I machined an adapter to make the 59 t/o bearing work on the t5 front bearing retainer.I also machined the t5 front bearing retainer down to fit the 59 bell housing. two of the four t5 mounting bolts line up with the 59 bellhousing.You have to weld bushings into the bellhousing for the other two. the clutch disc I used was from an early 80' mustang.I think I have a picture of the bell housing somewhere.search john mummert .he offers the parts and services to do the converson but I was to cheap to pay his prices and he does it a little differently
Great info! Thanks. I looked at the Mummert conversion package as well, but I'd rather not spend more than I have to. I plan on welding up my 223 bell housing myself to save some money for IFS. I'm guessing the plan would be to shorten the T5 input shaft to basically the same length as the old 3 speed's shaft right? Or am I missing something? Trying to locate a trans right now as a start. Looks like everyone thinks their T5s are made of gold around here! haha
Did you have to shorten the drive shaft? I know you'd need a different yoke for the output shaft, but unsure about length. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: 3 speed - No 2nd gear??