6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2016 6.7 getting louder???

Old 02-07-2016, 09:58 AM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
lol i know what oil to use, i drove a diesel tractors before i rode a bike :-) my-bad for not explaining the oil i used just thought we all on the same page with 6.7 diesels take care

Old 02-08-2016, 05:38 AM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has progressively gotten louder over 29k miles as well. Not teeth rattling like a 12 valve cummins but not the quiet little purr like the first 10k miles.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:59 AM
2016F250
Junior User
Glad I came upon this threat. Last night I was driving home and pulled out onto a highway and thought "it seems louder than usual"....but didnt think much else. Then a few minutes later the regen did start up. Another 15-20 minutes I arrived at the gas station. The smell from the regen for sure lets you know its doing it. I do use the cetane booster also and have been getting around 19 mpg (mostly country highways where the limits are 45-55 mph).

I have not done an oil change yet, just rolled over 3,000 miles yesterday.

Thanks to all for the great info on here, learning quite a bit.

(Central VA area)

Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
The reason our trucks are so quiet now is because of the way the fuel is injected during the compression stroke. The high psi fuel rail and ceramic injectors allow for up to 5 separate injections per stroke which significantly quiets the overall combustion event and spreads the noise over a larger period of time.

There are times however when I swear that pilot injection turns off and the truck sounds like diesels from the old days. It seems to be just before a regen and it's only for a short time (minute or less). I have no hard data but this truck can definitely change its tune depending upon what the computer tells it to do. Just throwing this out there but if your truck's PCM is not allowing pilot injection properly, there will be lots of extra noise.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:21 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by radium
lol i know what oil to use, i drove a diesel tractors before i rode a bike :-) my-bad for not explaining the oil i used just thought we all on the same page with 6.7 diesels take care
Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
Mine has progressively gotten louder over 29k miles as well...
Originally Posted by 2016F250
Glad I came upon this threat. Last night I was driving home and pulled out onto a highway and thought "it seems louder than usual"....but didnt think much else...
Hey, folks!

Any concerning noises should be brought to the attention of your dealerships; they'll be in the best position to determine if it's normal or not. Additionally, I'm always happy to do what I can to help out. Send a PM my way with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll start researching ways to asisst.

Crystal

Old 02-11-2016, 09:40 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hey, folks!

Any concerning noises should be brought to the attention of your dealerships; they'll be in the best position to determine if it's normal or not. Additionally, I'm always happy to do what I can to help out. Send a PM my way with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll start researching ways to asisst.

Crystal
The computer controls pilot injection and indeed does shut it off at times. It is very cold here right now, and the thing is quite clattery, just the way I like it. Once it is all warmed up, it is totally smooth and too quiet. Mine is a 16.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:40 AM
baerpath
Junior User
I agree they do get louder, wife noticed she hadn't been in the truck in a couple months and brought it to my attention. No where near the 6.0 or 7.3 but a little louder but louder than when new

Old 02-12-2016, 06:59 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
That new F-150 diesel posted somewhere on the site here is way louder then my truck has ever been, hot or cold.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Pilot182c
New User
Hey Crystal, tried to pm you but not having any luck, my 2015 super duty is doing the same thing, very loud at times, was great for the first 6k miles not now! No way this is normal nor was I told to expect a loud truck after that many miles? Help please

Old 01-21-2017, 03:54 PM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thread revived!!! Its not the first time Mobil 1 has been associated with excess noise and also low cetane fuel.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:34 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I use T6. In the winter it's louder... In the summer I quiet back down. All diesels get a little louder over time. At least the past 7 of them I have owned have done that.

I also get more of a diesel rattle in the cold too. Part is cold in general and the other part is D1 fuel. I can sorta additive my way to quiet it down, but it isn't summer fuel and warm quiet.

It's not crazy loud like a deleted open exhaust truck would be. Just louder.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:29 PM
Pilot182c
New User
I have a 2015 6.7 and after 6k miles engine light came on and it started getting noisy like the older models. Dealer said it was due to "manufacturing variations" and it is normal. I'm still fighting with the service dept but have been told by a lemon law lawyer that I have a case since they now claim it's not fixable. This is not the tic noise nor the bad bucking and lose of power during regen, it's a injector issue which is what the original code was for (injector sensor malfunction) but they won't replace that sensor? Go figure. Perhaps this will help with your issue as well, good luck

Old 01-23-2017, 07:20 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I forgot all about this one since I started it I'll give you an update. 41,000 miles or around their and she's still loud as ever still getting great mileage and even after having the driver side head replaced due to jack hammering also recently turbo replacement still has the same rattle like 7.3 . I just learned to live with it and everyone who's sat in the truck with me cannot believe the sound. The last time I talked to my dealer about it he thought maybe they could change out some of the padding under the hood around the engine bay to see if that helps?? My brother who is a diesel mechanic told me some are just loud and it's a good running engine don't complain easier said than done living with it the loudest events are when it's idling I swear to god it sounds just like my old 7.3. By the way running all different oils full synthetic 5W40 Mobil one T6 and now Valvoline no difference in the sound even Ford's oil 10W30 same sound like I said I'll just live with it. One good thing is all the young kids think it's a full delete makes me laugh when I tell them all official they get underneath to look at the exhaust system looking for straight pipe.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:12 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Originally Posted by radium
I forgot all about this one since I started it I'll give you an update. 41,000 miles or around their and she's still loud as ever still getting great mileage and even after having the driver side head replaced due to jack hammering also recently turbo replacement still has the same rattle like 7.3 . I just learned to live with it and everyone who's sat in the truck with me cannot believe the sound. The last time I talked to my dealer about it he thought maybe they could change out some of the padding under the hood around the engine bay to see if that helps?? My brother who is a diesel mechanic told me some are just loud and it's a good running engine don't complain easier said than done living with it the loudest events are when it's idling I swear to god it sounds just like my old 7.3. By the way running all different oils full synthetic 5W40 Mobil one T6 and now Valvoline no difference in the sound even Ford's oil 10W30 same sound like I said I'll just live with it. One good thing is all the young kids think it's a full delete makes me laugh when I tell them all official they get underneath to look at the exhaust system looking for straight pipe.

I have a 2016 that I traded my 2011 in last year. The 2016 is differently louder than the 2011. I have around 3,000 miles on the truck.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:47 AM
treatcg
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 24K on my 2016 and I recently changed to 5W-40 synthetic from MC 10W-30 and mine seems to be louder. As others have stated it could also be the time of the year. I really don't mind it, actually sounds like a diesel now. Mine is no way annoying or loud.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:59 AM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Smile

I also traded my 2011 this fall for a new 2016. I definitely notice the engine is louder on the 16. You can't tell us much difference from inside the truck as you can outside the truck. I have had friends tell me that now they can hear me pull in the driveway where they could not with the 2011. I like it though. I used to actually kind of enjoy My 7.3 engine sound. I do enjoy the truck being very quiet inside the cab though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 6.7 getting louder???