Official Ford Forum : Ask an Engineer Weekly Q&As with Ford Engineers!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-150: Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 09:43 AM
Ford Trucks
Official Ford Trucks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150: Aluminum

Aluminum continues to be an innovation for F-Series starting with the 2015 F-150. What would you like to know about the F-150’s aluminum body from the engineers?

Old 02-05-2016, 11:08 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
It's been brought up a couple of times, but what isolation measures were taken where the aluminum touches the steel frame and suspension components? Also, what pre-paint surface prep has been done to ensure long term paint adherence and durability.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:52 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
It's been brought up a couple of times, but what isolation measures were taken where the aluminum touches the steel frame and suspension components? Also, what pre-paint surface prep has been done to ensure long term paint adherence and durability.
Also curious on changes made to the paint process over previous generation trucks.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:07 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to answer for them, but aluminum body parts, paint procedures and using dissimilar metals has been around for decades with no problems. Road tractors use aluminum cabs, steel frames and fasteners of all different types to hold them together.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:04 AM
redfury
Senior User
I think it will be interesting to see some of these trucks 3 years from now in MN after being neglected by owners that think that because they are aluminum bodies, they won't "rust". Aluminum corrodes through galvanic corrosion, as well as exposure to salt. I wonder how many owners believe they are buying these trucks not only for the weight savings, but buying a "Delorean that will never rust "...not that I've seen Ford make any claims as such.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by redfury
I think it will be interesting to see some of these trucks 3 years from now in MN after being neglected by owners that think that because they are aluminum bodies, they won't "rust". Aluminum corrodes through galvanic corrosion, as well as exposure to salt. I wonder how many owners believe they are buying these trucks not only for the weight savings, but buying a "Delorean that will never rust "...not that I've seen Ford make any claims as such.
I wonder about that lol.....

Old 02-07-2016, 03:14 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
The new trucks seem to have issues with the doors being misaligned from the factory. My doors don't line up quite right, and it seems to be a pretty widespread issue. Is the shift to aluminum responsible for this? I don't remember this being an issue with the previous generation trucks.

Originally Posted by redfury
I think it will be interesting to see some of these trucks 3 years from now in MN after being neglected by owners that think that because they are aluminum bodies, they won't "rust".
Just wait a couple years and come to Cambridge, you can look at mine.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Ford Trucks
Official Ford Trucks
Thanks everyone, we'll see what the engineers have to say.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Ford Trucks
Official Ford Trucks
Engineer Answer

Here's what the engineer had to say:
Extensive testing and validation completed on all attachment points.

Originally Posted by seventyseven250

Old 02-12-2016, 03:27 PM
      Ford Trucks
      Official Ford Trucks
      Engineer Answer

From the Engineer:
      There has been a progression over many years of the paint process. With the steel vehicles, quite a number of years ago we improved the corrosion resistance by changing the pretreatment from Iron Phosphate to Zinc Phosphate. When aluminum hoods were introduced, the systems were upgraded to a high edge e-coat (higher flouride levels). The final step was the change over of the pretreatment to zirconium oxide from zinc phosphate.

Originally Posted by Chad149
      Also curious on changes made to the paint process over previous generation trucks.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:11 PM
      Winch Me
      New User
      Traditionally, aluminum has been more difficult (and costlier) to repair. Should we expect that to be the case with the new aluminum F-150 also? Will any repair centers be able to repair, or only Ford certified repair centers?

Do the F-150 parts shortage also affect repair times?

Interested in trading in for a 2015+ model but want to know how the aluminum construction might affect repairs (I always seem to get into minor accidents).

Old 02-19-2016, 09:01 PM
      FTE Herman
      Post Fiend
      Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
      Originally Posted by Ford Trucks
      From the Engineer:
      There has been a progression over many years of the paint process. With the steel vehicles, quite a number of years ago we improved the corrosion resistance by changing the pretreatment from Iron Phosphate to Zinc Phosphate. When aluminum hoods were introduced, the systems were upgraded to a high edge e-coat (higher flouride levels). The final step was the change over of the pretreatment to zirconium oxide from zinc phosphate.
      I love it! Finally a statement from the engineers the marketing people couldn't tinker with. Post more responses like this and you'll see the level of engagement we all were hoping for.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:22 AM
      Ford Trucks
      Official Ford Trucks
      Thanks Herman!

Old 04-09-2016, 04:33 AM
      mountndreamer
      New User
      Galvanic corrosion and new water borne paint

I see in the posts here that mounts to frame etc have been coated to prevent galvanic corossion, but how well does water borne paint adhere to the aluminum in the locations that dissimilar metals are in contact? I am in the collision industry and remember the previous attempt to use water borne coatings, the coatings failed and chemical borne coatings were brought back.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:30 AM
      MeanGene1
      Junior User
      Received 1 Like on 1 Post
      Aluminum hoods for the F150 were first introduced in 1998 I think.

Quick Reply: F-150: Aluminum