6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New 450 steel wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:16 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,183 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
Would love to find 4 17" steel dually wheels reasonable. I would take the aluminums off.

Anybody know where any 17" are priced reasonably?

Check with member "hoseclamp." He got a set of steels for his 450 along with some simulators for a very good price. He's in Canada but perhaps the brand can be sourced stateside for a good number too?

Old 02-05-2016, 07:14 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Howdy Rodney!!! The commercial acct I have is through Kal Tire (Canada wide company), the wheels came from Canadian Wheel out of Surrey BC.

Home | Canadian Wheel ? Wholesale Wheels & Rims

No doubt in my mind these wheels can be found literally anywhere, my cost Cdn was roughly $1,000 for 6 aftermarket wheels and stainless simulators. Best solution for the winter here, the salt and sanding blasts the expensive OEM wheels really bad, these will look good for years with just an occasional pressure wash and quick wipe.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:28 PM
System
Prolocutor
I'll have to have you get me a set and pick them up when I visit...

Old 02-05-2016, 08:33 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey you notice the FX4 tag on there? Sweet!!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:02 PM
System
Prolocutor
You must have been influenced by Justin...

Old 02-05-2016, 09:06 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by hoseclamp

Howdy Rodney!!! The commercial acct I have is through Kal Tire (Canada wide company), the wheels came from Canadian Wheel out of Surrey BC.

Home | Canadian Wheel ? Wholesale Wheels & Rims

No doubt in my mind these wheels can be found literally anywhere, my cost Cdn was roughly $1,000 for 6 aftermarket wheels and stainless simulators. Best solution for the winter here, the salt and sanding blasts the expensive OEM wheels really bad, these will look good for years with just an occasional pressure wash and quick wipe.

Those chrome covers along with the steel wheels are EXACTLY what I've described in my earlier post. Even more so on DRW trucks is it more important to rotate your tires, failing which the front two almost always shift treads due to constant weight changes, and hence suspension geometry changes, which in turn results in horrible steering wheel vibration and feedback.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:21 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless they changed something since the 7.3, this is not true. My 2000 F-350 dually came with the aluminum rims, and I didn't like them. So I went out and bought all new steel rims for it, which bolted right on, and which can be rotated front and rear with no issue.

I make no claims regarding the newer vehicles though, as I don't own or operate any.

Originally Posted by m-chan68
This is not news. On every DRW truck that is equipped with the optional aluminum rims, the rear inner rims have always been the standard steel rims. To bring this to another dimension, the front and rear outer rims are also non-interchangeable as well. I know this is because, as a technician I've always tried to preach rotating tires on a regular basis to keep tire wear even, but this is obviously not possible on DRW trucks equipped with the aluminum rim option.

Before you ask, no you can't swap out the inner steel rims for aluminum ones either, because they are thicker and therefore not fit onto the hub.

The only way to solve this, is to have a truck with all six rims steel, and purchase a set of chrome wheel covers for the front and rear, if vanity is that important. By doing this, enables rotating all six wheels regularly in order to keep tire wear even.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:24 PM
System
Prolocutor
Oh, a bit has changed since 1988 and 2000 Russell. Just a couple things.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:45 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
Who said anything about 1988?

M-chan was talking about not being able to go from aluminum to steel rims on DRW trucks, and not being able to rotate them between front and rear. I was disputing his claim, because I own a 2000 DRW truck that I have done both of these things on.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:47 PM
System
Prolocutor
You have a 1988 truck in you signature and mentioned a 2000 truck in your post. Neither of which have anything to do with current production vehicles with aluminum rims. What the post in question was referring to was a stock configuration current generation truck and had nothing to do with replacing rims. Rotation in question was also based on current oem setup from what I read.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
I don't think you understood mchan's post. He said the aluminum are not rotatable. Steel ones are. Reread his post.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by dlibson
I don't think you understood mchan's post. He said the aluminum are not rotatable. Steel ones are. Reread his post.
You beat me to the punch. Thank you for clarifying.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:33 PM
AKHunter93
Elder User
The 1988 truck in my signature is totally irrelevant to this conversation.

Yes, I mentioned a 2000 F-350 dually because in m-chan's post he was making statements about DRW trucks. I saw nothing that suggested he was referring specifically to the current generation 6.7L Powerstroke trucks. The pertinent bit:

Originally Posted by m-chan68
On every DRW truck that is equipped with the optional aluminum rims, the rear inner rims have always been the standard steel rims. To bring this to another dimension, the front and rear outer rims are also non-interchangeable as well. I know this is because, as a technician I've always tried to preach rotating tires on a regular basis to keep tire wear even, but this is obviously not possible on DRW trucks equipped with the aluminum rim option.
"On every DRW truck... have always been standard steel rims... I've always tried to preach... not possible on DRW trucks."

His phrasing led me to believe he was talking about ALL DRW trucks, not specifically 6.7L DRW trucks. If he was, then that's my mistake. I interpreted his post as pertaining to all DRW trucks. And that's what caused me to contest it, because the aluminum rims on my truck were indeed rotated fore and aft.

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
You have a 1988 truck in you signature and mentioned a 2000 truck in your post. Neither of which have anything to do with current production vehicles with aluminum rims. What the post in question was referring to was a stock configuration current generation truck and had nothing to do with replacing rims. Rotation in question was also based on current oem setup from what I read.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:00 AM
mmm635
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by paver56
I picked up my 450 pickup on Tuesday. Lariat bronze fire. Beautiful truck. It's the first non white pickup I have bought for our company since a '95 dodge. I love the truck. Seems smoother than my '11 350 srw. Will have to get used to the duals. I think its as wide, or wider than my mack dump trucks.
Anyway, I finally got to crawl under it tonight and noticed the inner rear wheels are steel. Is that normal? It's pretty disappointing to spend 70k on a truck and not have 6 aluminum wheels.
Does your dealer actually have the equipment to balance your aluminum 19.5" wheels? This is a huge dilemma I am facing as even the largest dealer around does not have the equipment. It is disappointing to spend $70K and I have to go somewhere else and pay them to do something that should be covered by ford. On top of that, the dealership destroyed one of my wheels trying to balance it and had to replace it. Of course, I had to go to a big rig (18 wheeler) service center to get it done.

I just put on some centramatics in order to circumvent this problem in the future. Called Ford and they don't seem to care and only explanation they gave me were that dealerships are independently owned - FMC has no control. I am not gong to believe they cannot do something about it since they control their dealership status.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:15 AM
Lawrencew
Senior User
I thought

Originally Posted by Russell F Cary
The 1988 truck in my signature is totally irrelevant to this conversation.

Yes, I mentioned a 2000 F-350 dually because in m-chan's post he was making statements about DRW trucks. I saw nothing that suggested he was referring specifically to the current generation 6.7L Powerstroke trucks. The pertinent bit:

"On every DRW truck... have always been standard steel rims... I've always tried to preach... not possible on DRW trucks."

His phrasing led me to believe he was talking about ALL DRW trucks, not specifically 6.7L DRW trucks. If he was, then that's my mistake. I interpreted his post as pertaining to all DRW trucks. And that's what caused me to contest it, because the aluminum rims on my truck were indeed rotated fore and aft.
The whole site was titled 6.7 PSD

Quick Reply: New 450 steel wheels?