Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 f150 single cab not charging

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:44 PM
htownoag
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 f150 single cab not charging

Hey guys ive been working on my boss's 95f150 that we have semi-restored. I stripped it for paint we got it back and assembled everything. Installed a sound system in it. Over the weekend the son was over with his friend and was showin d truck off. They left something on and drained the battery. Battery is an optima deep cycle.

Well i went to lunch when i came back the foreman had installed an alternator on it because the battery wasnt charging.

Well the new one wasnt charging either. I unwrapped the loom carefully and saw the green wire was broken. We touched it to the positive terminal and it started charging i was lookin for the other broken end amd found it on the connector at the battery tray.

I used a butt connector and attached it how it was supposed to go. Now it is not charging.i traced the wire into the vehicle harness and i reached a stopping point there and continued on working on my 4010mule.

I took a picture of the wire in question.
It is not on the battery anymore it is connected to the connector at battery tray. That leads into the harness where the headlight and ac wires go.

Can anyone help me out. I can see signs of some1 trying to troubleshoot the electrical as some wires are stripped back @ the alternator pigtail. Guess the owner got fed up and sold it. When my boss bought for his son they never drove it or dod anything to it because it was immediatly sent to get painted. So now that it is back together we find this issue

Old 02-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by htownoag
Hey guys ive been working on my boss's 95f150 that we have semi-restored. I stripped it for paint we got it back and assembled everything. Installed a sound system in it. Over the weekend the son was over with his friend and was showin d truck off. They left something on and drained the battery. Battery is an optima deep cycle.

Well i went to lunch when i came back the foreman had installed an alternator on it because the battery wasnt charging.

Well the new one wasnt charging either. I unwrapped the loom carefully and saw the green wire was broken. We touched it to the positive terminal and it started charging i was lookin for the other broken end amd found it on the connector at the battery tray.

I used a butt connector and attached it how it was supposed to go. Now it is not charging.i traced the wire into the vehicle harness and i reached a stopping point there and continued on working on my 4010mule.

I took a picture of the wire in question.
It is not on the battery anymore it is connected to the connector at battery tray. That leads into the harness where the headlight and ac wires go.

Can anyone help me out. I can see signs of some1 trying to troubleshoot the electrical as some wires are stripped back @ the alternator pigtail. Guess the owner got fed up and sold it. When my boss bought for his son they never drove it or dod anything to it because it was immediatly sent to get painted. So now that it is back together we find this issue

I see yellow, red and black wires coming off your battery. Then that one next to the red is that green or blue? I'm not color blind just hard to tell . Any ways that wire looks to be like after market stereo wiring of some kind. So where is this mystery green wire you speak of? Oddly though that you connect broken part to battery then starts charging but when you hook it up like you think it should go then nothing.

Hopefully someone will chime in but I'm drawing a blank on this one unless I could see wiring first hand.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2016, 10:14 PM
htownoag
Senior User
On the positive battery post the green wire is attached by the blue ring terminal. The blue wire on the positive stud is for the aftermarket amp.

The green wire daisy chains into the single connector @ the alternator which comes from the main plug that goes into the voltage regulator. I followed that green wire to a connector at the battery tray then from there it disappears into the vehicle harness and i guess it goes to the computer.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:38 PM
htownoag
Senior User

I forgot i had my harness from my wrecked truck in d trunk of my car

That green wire

Old 02-04-2016, 10:41 PM
htownoag
Senior User

It is the I terminal that has me stumped connected to positive ! Battery charges. Connected at its location no charging

Old 02-05-2016, 02:43 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The green/red wire should be coming from the charge indicator in the instrument cluster.

Did you (or the PO) swap clusters, by chance?
Because there are differences across years that will cause just this problem.

Does the charge indicator on the dash light up when the key is first turned to 'run'?
Does it remain illuminated when the truck is running?

Old 02-05-2016, 07:09 AM
htownoag
Senior User
The cluster was sent out to get rebuilt. But there was always a battery charging issue.

What i found weird was that it is an xlt with no tachometer. Does that sound correct?

Both of my xlts 94 and 95 have tachs.

Perhaps PO swapped in wrong model cluster

Old 02-05-2016, 08:07 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by htownoag
The cluster was sent out to get rebuilt. But there was always a battery charging issue.
Perhaps PO swapped in wrong model cluster
Well it definitely won't charge if the cluster is not connected.

I can't answer if there was an XLT without a tach.

Maybe you can find an engineering # on the cluster or flex circuit. ???

I think there is a way to repin the connector and get it charging.
But I am not familiar enough to say for sure.

Hopefully some one more knowledgable than me will reply.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:30 AM
htownoag
Senior User
Thank you, i shall dig into it further during lunch time.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:47 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Jumping the LG-R wire to the R-LG wire in the clusters main connector of one that doesn't have a cluster installed, I believe should produce a charge condition if everything else is as it should be.
Makes up for the fact the gauge or idiot light is missing from that circuit?

Those wires would be found in the clusters Black connector C250, not the Gray connector G251

Trying it would be of course done at your own risk.

And yes I have a XLT model that does not have a tach and no reason to believe it has ever been molested in anyway.