1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Audio for the Super Duty

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Planetmail
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aftermarket Audio for the Super Duty

Enjoy my 2015 F250 XLT trim but let's face it we didn't buy the truck for the stereo. So what is being done in terms of changing out the head units, adding speakers and subs? What are people using for front separates? Where do you place the amps? What about subs...ported or sealed and sizes?

The stereo could use an upgrade, I have some 6 1/2" midbass drivers and 1" tweeters for the front, as well another set of 6 1/2" separates I'm thinking of installing. Just need to make sure the doors have enough room. Not sure about the head unit yet or the amp/sub.

Maybe the way to go is an Audison Bit One processor to retain the oem head unit.

What have others done to achieve better sound?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 575 Posts
Didn't want to get into a huge money & time project. So at the suggestion of some on the forum I put a double DIN Jensen VX7020 in. Spent a little extra for the Siriux/XM module and the harness for steering wheel controls.
I lost SYNC but pretty much only used it for Bluetooth phone calls. The Jensen has that anyway plus navigation. $350 at Crutchfield (without satellite module & steering wheel control harness) but they can be had for about $100 cheaper at other online outlets.
Not a bad self install and after about a year of use I can say that it was a pretty good choice.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:47 PM
PsycoJuana
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my 2011 F250 CC I ran a P.A.C. unit witch plugged in to the factory radio and dropped down 4 rca cables. had shop in town in stall alpine speakers front and back with a couple sealed 10" subs behind my back seat. also mounted the 2 amps and power cap back there between the subs. this way I keep the stock head unit no troubles with my steering wheel controls or sync. Not a boomer but it slams in side the cab!
PJ

Old 02-04-2016, 10:02 PM
LindenBruce
Laughing Gas
Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
I'm looking at the Kenwood DDX-393 double din unit. I don't have any factory upgraded stereo system so I don't have to worry about steering wheel controls. As far as bass, I can't seem to figure out where to put some subs. Behind the rear seat are chains, straps, tools, hitch, flares, well you get the idea.

So I'm thinking about something at the lower rear corner of the front doors. Maybe a couple of 8" woofers? IDK. And no room under the front seats either. Bruce

Old 02-04-2016, 10:06 PM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditched the OEM speakers, but wanted to keep Sync and steering wheel controls. So, I kept the Ford head unit for the time being. (A relative owns an car audio store that sells Alpine equipment, so I got things shipped to me at his cost.)

Head unit outputs go to an Audio Control LCQ-1 Equalizer/Level converter that's mounted inside of the center console. It adjusts the speaker levels to feed Amplifier pre-amp inputs, and The EQ feeds two Alpine PDX F6 600W, Amps, and a PDX-M6, 600W Mono Subwoofer Amp. (They're stackable.) Mono-amp is mounted under drivers seat, and the two other amps under passenger seat (real tight fit).

Bass is created by two 10", shallow mount Alpine SWT-10S2 Subwoofer, which are mounted behind back seat in a SuperCrew Sound Sealed Bass enclosure. Mono Amp'ed - driven in parallel. Crossover at ~160 Hz

Front door and windshield pillars have Alpine SPR-60C - 6.5" component speakers - Cross over at ~200 Hz As does the back door and back upper corners of the cab. The OEM location in the back corners of crew cab have Alpine SPR-6, 6" x 8" set up as mid-woofers from 180 Hz to 1200 Hz.

I don't shake windows when I drive by, and I'm not going to win any car audio competitions, but the sound is vastly superior to anything that comes from Ford.

Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2016, 09:17 PM
LindenBruce
Laughing Gas
Received 224 Likes on 148 Posts
Sounds good. If I didn't have all that extra stuff behind my rear seat I was going to use those same subs. But what I have back there I consider essential. So I have limited options to increase LFE. B.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:45 PM
TimWaite
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncho450
Didn't want to get into a huge money & time project. So at the suggestion of some on the forum I put a double DIN Jensen VX7020 in. Spent a little extra for the Siriux/XM module and the harness for steering wheel controls.
I lost SYNC but pretty much only used it for Bluetooth phone calls. The Jensen has that anyway plus navigation. $350 at Crutchfield (without satellite module & steering wheel control harness) but they can be had for about $100 cheaper at other online outlets.
Not a bad self install and after about a year of use I can say that it was a pretty good choice.
Put the same stereo in. I dont have sync or steering wheel controls though. I also have a portable xm that is now plugged into the head unit. It also has a backup camera feature. I also changed the 4 stock speakers with Kenwoods and added 2 fosgate boxes behind the seat. Kinda overkill in a regular cab.