1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Longevity plans for next month- some advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:46 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Longevity plans for next month- some advice please...

Guys,

After going back and forth about it for the past few months, the decision has been made to keep old green. I really like the truck and it does everything I need, so figured we would only need to invest a few months payments of a new one on it to make it go another 100k easy. It has an oil leak that needs to be resolved, so here are the plans coming for next month:

Turbo Pedestal Bolt Kit for Ford 7.3L Powerstroke (99.5-03)
Turbo / Pedestal O-rings for Ford 7.3L (94-03) - GZ-9-003
Riffraff Diesel Billet Compressor Wheel 94-03
Garrett Non-EBPV/ Blank Pedestal 99.5-03 7.3L Ford
Garrett GTP38 High Flow Outlet - Riffraff Diesel Performance
Complete CAC Intercooler Boot Kit - Ford 7.3L Powerstroke 99-03
Intercooler boot complete clamp kit for Ford 99.5-03 7.3L Powerstroke
Dorman 679-005 Dorman 679-005

Is there anything else we should consider getting done while old green is under the knife?

TIA

Old 02-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I don't know if you saw a thread I started a couple months ago when I was gearing up to do a lot of the same things you are now. Check it out at the link below. It will provide great feedback on my thoughts on the parts and other FTE members thoughts as well. I always like to learn from the mistakes of others before making them myself, so I will attempt to provide you the same wisdom.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-planning.html

Old 02-04-2016, 11:08 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sous
I don't know if you saw a thread I started a couple months ago when I was gearing up to do a lot of the same things you are now. Check it out at the link below. It will provide great feedback on my thoughts on the parts and other FTE members thoughts as well. I always like to learn from the mistakes of others before making them myself, so I will attempt to provide you the same wisdom.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-planning.html

Sure did!! Was going to send you a PM if no one chimed in here.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:25 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
David, looks like a good list to me, the only thing I would maybe add would be a large expenditure compared to the other stuff, but would give you 3 years of piece of mind. That is the HD4R100 with its 3 year unlimited mile warranty, good nationwide at any Ford dealership. I have been really longing for (almost coveting) a BTS for 8+ years, but I am leaning heavily towards the HD4R100 for those very reasons I mentioned above. How many miles are on your transmission now, and what do you do with it?

Old 02-04-2016, 11:33 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Don't see any mods in your signature or know how many miles are on your truck. here are a few you may want to consider while in the valley and wrenching on the truck

HPOP hoses
Riff Raff plenum inserts(to help seal up with new boots)
Passngr side fuel line(check for wear under clamp and cover or replace)
clean the EBP sensor line
Hutch and harpoon mods
ELC coolant after a full flush

Old 02-04-2016, 11:33 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HKusp
David, looks like a good list to me, the only thing I would maybe add would be a large expenditure compared to the other stuff, but would give you 3 years of piece of mind. That is the HD4R100 with its 3 year unlimited mile warranty, good nationwide at any Ford dealership. I have been really longing for (almost coveting) a BTS for 8+ years, but I am leaning heavily towards the HD4R100 for those very reasons I mentioned above. How many miles are on your transmission now, and what do you do with it?

Jason,

The tranny was redone not too long ago. Have a friend with a shop that takes good care of us. It's not an HD4R100 or BTS, but works and he is all over it if something goes wrong.

Old green gets ~5k miles put on it a year. it does not do much more than haul my fat *** around and a friend or two. for that reason, it just didn't sound like a good idea to take on a new vehicle payment.

Still wondering about adding the wastegate and journal bearing stuff to the list:

this one:
BigHead® Wastegate Actuator - 99.5-03 - Riffraff Diesel Performance
or this one:
http://www.dieselsite.com/19995-2003...ontroller.aspx

this one:
Garrett GTP38 Journal Bearing Rebuild Kit - Riffraff Diesel Performance
or this one:
Powerstroke 7.3L Turbo Upgraded Full Rebuild Kit (1994 - 2003) ? SP Turboost Company, LLC

think it is worth putting these on as well? if so, which one?

Old 02-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
You know my choices based on the thread above. I am 100% happy with the TM wastegate controller and the SPX full rebuild kit. I would certainly reseal/rebuild the turbo if I were you. It was not bad at all if you take your time and follow directions on SPX and RR.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:02 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
You know my choices based on the thread above. I am 100% happy with the TM wastegate controller and the SPX full rebuild kit. I would certainly reseal/rebuild the turbo if I were you. It was not bad at all if you take your time and follow directions on SPX and RR.

really leaning that way. just seems to make sense since you are already in there. ran across your list from your other thread. what made you decide to go with those instead of the ones from RR?

AllaboutMPG has me thing now about the HPOP and fuel lines. they aren't leaking, though.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:42 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I think I would go with that Dieselsite Waste gate controller and the Spturbo kit. I am a big advocate of Clay and Riff Raff, but in those 2 instances, I like the other option, all other things being equal.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:53 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Bellowed up pipes. With the turbo being removed, it may be a good time to do that, especially if the old ones are leaking.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:18 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would definitely do Riff Raff crossover kits- FRX for fuel and HPX for high pressure oil.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:38 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
You need to figure out what is right for your situation, what will need to be done in order to not repeat the same steps in the future and what is in your budget.

I originally planned and did install a HPx line from CNC, but had to take it off due to it leaking. I waited to do the FRx line though. If I decide in the future to do the HPx and FRx lines they do not require removing anything other than maybe the passenger side CAC pipe. So, figure out what parts need to be swapped or refreshed in order for you not to be sitting in your engine bay asking "why didn't I do this last time I had this thing out".

Old 02-04-2016, 03:32 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HKusp
I think I would go with that Dieselsite Waste gate controller and the Spturbo kit.
That is what Sous went with, and I do believe I will follow his lead. Thanks for the input!!

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Bellowed up pipes. With the turbo being removed, it may be a good time to do that, especially if the old ones are leaking.
They are on the list.

Originally Posted by holeshotwalt
I would definitely do Riff Raff crossover kits- FRX for fuel and HPX for high pressure oil.
old green got the HPX done many, many moon ago when the hutch/harpoon mods were done. (and ITP existed, lol)

You need to figure out what is right for your situation, what will need to be done in order to not repeat the same steps in the future and what is in your budget.

old green is basically a daily driver- 5k per year. never tows anything. just have had a few failures in the past couple of months (at the worst times of course) that had me itching to just go get a new truck.

when I came to my senses, I figured I could spend a little on this truck and probably drive it for another 10 years. 3-4 months payments on a new one will do a lot for old green.

thanks for the replies guys!!! keep em coming

Old 02-04-2016, 06:56 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
HPOP hoses
Passngr side fuel line(check for wear under clamp and cover or replace)
This is what first came to my mind. Along with heater hoses and that stupid high pressure steering hose that blows out, Starter if it's old (even though it still works a new one spins twice as fast), serpentine belt, visit a seat shop and have them touch up the foam in your seat for a much more comfortable ride, and all the usual maintenance stuff.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:28 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but what intake to handle the added air flow?

Quick Reply: Longevity plans for next month- some advice please...