Backing up in the campground

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:19 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Backing up in the campground

I know some of you are really great at backing fifth wheels. I am not. I am about average. Sometimes I look great, sometimes I look not so great. But, what my wife and I have started doing which is really helpful is using our cell phones. The radio in my truck has blue tooth and can receive calls and it has a mike so I can talk back.

So after I take a look at the spot and am ready to back in, she calls me. Then as I am backing, she can talk to me and I can talk back without the continual worry about seeing her in my mirrors.

I know it is a simple thing, but give it a try. I works pretty well.

Steve

Old 02-04-2016, 08:50 AM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I carry a couple of walkie talkies, but that's a great idea. Hands free too.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:23 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
What ever it is, you gotta have a system that works for you and your wife. I prefer my wife stay in my mirrors and use a few simple hand signals...left, right, keep coming, and when I'm getting close she shows me how much farther by holding her hands apart. I'm a low tech guy, so if my wife disappears from my sight, I stop and go find her. I'm just too afraid of hitting anybody or anthing. I make the kids stay way out in front and to the side so I can see them at all times too. My wife stays to the back and in my sight so she can look out for anyone else's kids.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:47 AM
EcoboostKev
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great idea!!! Certainly beats YELLING out the window "If you cant see my mirrors I can't see you" !!!!

Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
my wife.. is in the right seat... head back... and stay STILL,,

I do the backing by myself... and have for years.

but aligning the Satellite dish.. we use the cell phones..

Old 02-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Drivers side, passenger side, straight back and forward via 2 way radios is how we start a good camping trip.

Left, right, keep going and no radios are a sure sign of a bad start.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:12 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
LOL...you haven't met my wife. You put a communication device in her hand and she'll be planning activities, chatting with our camper neighbors, and yelling at the kids...all at the same time...over the radio while I'm backing up. Most camp grounds are so easy to maneuver that her real purpose is to watch out for pets and pedestrians. She also lets me know when to stop so the slides can open and not hit the utility post. At home I painted a black line on the concrete under my camper shed. I line the camper tires up with the line and call it good...wife is replaced with some marking paint

Old 02-07-2016, 07:43 AM
defyrftr
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am fortunate because I always camp with my son and father in law. They move manufactured homes for a living. If they can direct each other backing up 70 footers, I can trust them to help me back up my 32 footer. I just have to watch them instead of the mirrors.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:50 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
My wife and I both had over 20 years with the Fire Dept where we were both apparatus drivers, our Dept did not reverse a rig without a spotter. We had a good system there using very simple hand signals and everyone understood the concept of staying in the mirror's view. We have carried this over to our campground routine and it has served us very well.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:08 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
We use the sync in the truck and phones also. I always get out, walk the site and tell her where I intend to put the trailer. Then she calls me and I get it in place. She doesn't understand proper hand signals or that I can't see her behind the trailer, so the phone is great. We also have 2 ways in the trailer in case cell service isn't good. If we go with friends, we let the girls go for a walk and it makes life much easier.

65ford, if you've got room to maneuver you're certainly not from PA! We've been in some super tight private and state parks campgrounds here. Every other state we've visited has been much easier maneuvering.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
When we first started camping with this rig, we bought some cheap walkie talkies. They worked ok, but not that great. Clicking to talk and one way communication sucked. And they always seemed to have dead batteries. lol

Then we started using cell phones. The hands free instant two way communication worked much better. The only drawback is if you're in an area with poor (or no) cell coverage. Then you'd be outta luck using cell phones.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:56 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by '65Ford
LOL...you haven't met my wife. You put a communication device in her hand and she'll be planning activities, chatting with our camper neighbors, and yelling at the kids...all at the same time...over the radio while I'm backing up. Most camp grounds are so easy to maneuver that her real purpose is to watch out for pets and pedestrians. She also lets me know when to stop so the slides can open and not hit the utility post. At home I painted a black line on the concrete under my camper shed. I line the camper tires up with the line and call it good...wife is replaced with some marking paint
Your wife and mine must be related....

Old 02-11-2016, 06:34 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I want to thank you guys for the info above. My wife and I shouted and screamed at each other when trying to back into a spot. After that I bought Two way radios, and that didn't work. We were shouting into the sets. And finally she refused to have anything to do with us parking the camper.

After reading how some of you guys handle it. I approached her with a suggestion and she said that she thinks this will work.

1) Her on I-phone and me on Sync.

2) Her behind trailer, but able to see the rear view mirrors at all times. When not in view stopped.

3) Verbal communications
a) Toward driver side
b) Toward passenger side
c) Back
d) Forward
e) Stop
f) Done

4) No interruptions; Talking to people/ look at the flowers/ isn't that a pretty camper/ etc..

5) No shouting on either end.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:04 AM
'65Ford
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ct diesel
My wife and I shouted and screamed at each other when trying ...

LOL....You ain't alone....

Before we got married we went rafting on a "shredder". Google images for "shredder raft" and you'll see what I mean. It takes two people working/communicating together. That taught us we have different communication styles and we're still a work in progress. It's worth it though...she's a peach :-)

My dad, on the other hand, can guide me in and out of anything (steep hills, 90 degree blind turns, etc) using hand signals only. I mostly just watch him. We could be setting poles with a tractor loader, backing a 32 ft camper in a narrow driveway...you name it...men vs women communication styles I guess.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
My wife has 2 Phd's but can't do left and right. So I mark the spot where I want the back of the trailer and she puts her hand up when I get there. All she has to do is keep me in view in one of the side mirrors, works great.

Quick Reply: Backing up in the campground