Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 11-24-2014, 05:46 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

How To: Power Steering Pump Replacement

Old 05-24-2011, 11:06 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How To: Power Steering Pump Replacement

Ok I don't blame a couple of you newbies for having me write this up and add pics b/c the Haynes manual and PSP tool directing F***ing suck!

That being said remember to buy ATF Type F because that is what the OEM style uses for fluid. NOT power steering fluid. I know throws me for a loop to but that is probably the reason some of you are getting whining pumps and brown fluid... Pump seeps and someone adds power steering fluid when your not supposed to.'

Anyway, there is a Saginaw Pump that I would recommend as a replacement instead of the OEM style but I am replacing a OEM style in the pics. The saginaw style is a direct replacement and is the same steps except adding a new/different high pressure line. The benefits others have seen with the saginaw are: no leaks and no pump whinning. I also explain/show how to flush your pump and give you the part numbers for a rebuild kit that runs $10-$12 if you can't afford a new PSP. I might do a "how to" thread on rebuilding a PSP if there is enough interest.

If interesed in the Saginaw Pump: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ering-fix.html
Saginaw Pump: 20-6244
Pressure Line: Get one from a 79 F250
If you don't know if a saginaw/Cardone PSP will fit your truck or car check here: http://www.mypartsgarage.com/cardone...tured-136.html

1.) pull the crap off that is in the way: air intake, hoses, top radiator fan guard. make sure to hook your coolant reservoir hose back up to the radiator after pulling the top fan guard (#3 in pic) or it will drip the whole time your working on the PSP.
Name:  P1020305.jpg
Views: 96159
Size:  126.3 KB

2.) make a drip pan to catch the PSP's fluid when you unhook the lines. Here's mine... (you'll see it being used in step #4)
Name:  P1020306.jpg
Views: 27770
Size:  31.6 KB

3.) Remove the PSP's Pulley: you'll need the pulley removal tool. Picture the pulley on the truck (i'm just showing the tool assembly which is easier with the pulley off)
Name:  P1020310.jpg
Views: 35443
Size:  104.8 KB
Name:  P1020311.jpg
Views: 29266
Size:  98.1 KB
Name:  P1020312.jpg
Views: 29983
Size:  115.8 KB
To remove hold the box end wrench and tighten bolt with socket until the pulley pops off. You'll need to exert some grunt on this part...
Name:  P1020313.jpg
Views: 28275
Size:  90.9 KB
Kinda looks like this on the truck... you can remove the coolant hose if you want but i worked around it in order to save myself another fluid mess.
Name:  P1020308.jpg
Views: 30401
Size:  137.5 KB

4.) Disconnect Hoses: Take off low pressure and high pressure hoses. I used a 15/16in wrench for the high pressure and a slotted screw driver for the hose clamp on the low pressure line. Also look in the background of the picture; you'll see the pan from step 2 and also the PSP fluid is brown due to someone putting powersteering fluid in when the pump was already (and correctly) filled with ATF type F (IE red+lite brown=drk brwn). I am sure some of you are seeing this in your own trucks and should be doing a power steering flush. Doing a flush and adding some Barrs or Lucas will help stop pump whinning but if you have a leak I would replace or rebuild it (FYI rebuild kit: GATES Part #350450).
Name:  P1020307.jpg
Views: 67784
Size:  95.3 KB

5.) Swap Pumps: unbolt the old and bolt in the new one!
Name:  P1020314.jpg
Views: 34380
Size:  141.2 KB
Now when you realize that the old line doesn't connect to the new pump.. don't sweat it... I did it this way for a reason...
Name:  P1020315.jpg
Views: 39128
Size:  120.8 KB
The reason was to show you that you need to take the shorter fitting off and not the 15/16in one that I did. Make sure to replace that O-ring the arrow points to. there should be a new one in the PSP box. You'll notice this is the new pump and i cleaned the PSP bracket really well so if it leaks I'll know where the leak is coming from. Clean the hoses and steering box too. It will help if you have a leak later...
Name:  P1020316.jpg
Views: 44544
Size:  73.9 KB

6.)Hook Up High pressire line only: Ok all is well again. Hook up the high pressure line and notice that the low pressure is running to a 2L bottle to help flush old crap out...

7.) Put the pulley back on: use the other tool in the kit and basically revers the process to push the pulley back on. (picture is out of truck only to show assembly- you will have to do this in the truck!) A quick not is that you may have to run the assembly tools "push plate" on and off the install bolt to straighten the threads (this is b/c some previous jackarse didn't screw the bolt into the pump all the way) DON'T be the J.A. and make sure you get the bolt in all the way before you start tightening the push plate to install the pulley. You'll need to look at the toll and make sure the install bolt isn't stripped when you pick the tool up! Also you may have to back off the push plate and tighten the bolt into the pump again if you start to loosen it. Push pulley back on until it matches the other pulley's alignment.
Name:  P1020319.jpg
Views: 28131
Size:  208.6 KB

8.) Put the belt back on. Honestly if you need a pic of this...?!?!? You might need to reinstall the belt in order to hold the pulley still so you can remove the pulley install bolt and push plate.

9.) flush the system: Put the low pressure line in a 2L bottle and start your truck this will activate the pump immediatly so turn the wheel ASAP after start up (front wheels off ground). This will flush all the old crap out of the steering box and PSP. You may need 2-3 qts of ATF Type F to get the flush and fill done.
Name:  P1020321.jpg
Views: 27934
Size:  111.9 KB

10.) Hook low pressure line back up: after hooking the low pressure line back up you'll need to get the air out. refill the PSP and start your truck again turning the steering wheel all the way to the left and right a couple times checking your fluid level inbetween. make sure you are topped off with ATF in the pump to the COLD LINE!!!! this is important because if you over fill you can blow the lid off the pump or shoot it all over the under side of your hood and generally make a huge mess!

11.) Go Drink a beer if you haven't been doing so the whole time b/c your done as long as you like the results upon your test drive.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Duct Tape Racing
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very nice How-To! Rep. points to your sir.

The best part is the part where you drink beer. I think thats why i get excited about workin on my truck, its just an excuse to drink beer

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Thanks! I get asked by some of the newbies how to do stuff so much that I have started to do "How To" threads and then book marked them in my browser so I can retrieve the link when we get asked again later... That way I can post, "Check this thread out, it will tell you everything you need to know." Personally I think the Moderator needs to be adding these types of posts to the "locked READ FIRST thread..." The guys in the 80-86 thread have theirs figured out and working like that!

Anyway I hope this thread is helpful for others now and later on... I will try to get the saginaw pump part number and add it to the main post so newbies will find that easy to do as well. Does anyone know the part number for the saginaw high pressure line that you have to replace?

Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 PM
Hotshot869
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice write up my good sir! Throws me for a loop Ford uses ATF Type F, but hey, whatever works i suppose..

+rep.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
I know... I'll actually admit I didn't know that until a couple years ago when the guy at the parts store told me that's what the computer said to use when I was buying another reman'd PSP for a buddy's truck. Since then I usually do a flush and put some barrs or lucas in it to keep the whinning down. If I was made of money I would just have a couple Saginaw's from A1 sitting on the shelf waiting for their new home!

Thanks for the reps guys!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
So, from my understanding, my 92' uses ATF instead of true Powersteering Fluid? Because mine sounds like a bag of cats was thrown under the truck when I turn....If so, I'll DEFINANTLY be doing a flush.....

Also, reps man....The pics are a BIG help...

Old 05-24-2011, 01:44 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
So, from my understanding, my 92' uses ATF instead of true Powersteering Fluid? Because mine sounds like a bag of cats was thrown under the truck when I turn....If so, I'll DEFINANTLY be doing a flush.....

Also, reps man....The pics are a BIG help...
Yeah the saginaw is supposed to eliminate the "bag of cats" sound from the truck... But if you want to try the $20 fix first you should flush with "ATF Type F" and if that doesn't solve the problem use some Lucas Power Steering Treatment (or Barr's). Remember you'll have to drain some of the ATF first and then refill with the Lucas to keep the level right at the cold line!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Yeah....Hmmm....I know about the drain to add deal....

But idk...Thats another thig for another day....

Old 05-24-2011, 02:04 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Yeah... Thumper was noisey and squeaky really bad and when that was quieted by new shocks and suspension bushings all the way around, the PSP noise caught my attention so I just replaced it last wednesday. Next, I need to tear my G3 alternator back out and put the bigger pulley back on it b/c the smaller G2 pulley that I swaped onto it makes the belt squeal for 1-2 seconds everytime I start the engine. Problem is once I do that I'll have to measure for and buy a new belt...

Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Great writeup Nathan.
Thanks for doing this for everyone else.

I would Rep you if they would allow me.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:30 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Great writeup Nathan.
Thanks for doing this for everyone else.

I would Rep you if they would allow me.
No worries... You can hit me up next time!

Old 05-26-2011, 02:31 PM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Great writeup. The only thing I'd add is that when turning the steering wheel side to side to bleed the air out of the system, you really ought to have the front tires off the ground (front of the vehicle up on jackstands) to reduce the strain on the pump, especially if you're running larger tires.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:24 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
Originally Posted by White Max
9.) flush the system: Put the low pressure line in a 2L bottle and start your truck this will activate the pump immediatly so turn the wheel ASAP after start up (front wheels off ground). This will flush all the old crap out of the steering box and PSP. You may need 2-3 qts of ATF Type F to get the flush and fill done.
hmmmm????

Old 05-26-2011, 03:46 PM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Haha. Apparently "Hooked on Phonics" did NOT work for me. I totally missed that.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM
nstueve
Postmaster
well just sound it out and don't skim so fast... LOL... no worries!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To: Power Steering Pump Replacement