1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ford Script Beds

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 757 Likes on 369 Posts
Ford Script Beds

You know, you guys are terrible.
After seeing all these cool Ford Script beds, I have started looking some. Of course an 8' bed is a bit hard to find.

Well, I stumbled across this craigslist post: Model TT Ford truck bed

I emailed the guy for dimensions and here is what he said.
Oh, he has several beds...
The model T bed measures 99"x 73" and is 32" between the frame brackets. (My truck the frame rails are 32" on center, 34" outside, will this one work on my frame?)

The model A bed measures 99" x 74" . The brackets on the model a bed would have to be changed as they are not parallel.

The bed that I am sending you the pictures of could be the correct one for your truck, but it is kind of rough. It measures 93 1/2 " × 79 1/4 ", between frame rails is 33"

Here are the pictures of the last bed:

This one looks too rough for my lack of skills. It also may be a little short...
I actually want my bed a little more narrow. My front fenders measure about 74" across. So, I'm thinking that would be about the right width.

What do you guys think?
I haven't got prices on the last two yet.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:06 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
How original do you need it to be?

If you have a good bed, maybe you could just cut the Ford script out and weld it into yours.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:34 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
How original do you need it to be?

If you have a good bed, maybe you could just cut the Ford script out and weld it into yours.
Well currently I have nothing. I have been planning on making an all wood bed. But seeing the Ford Script beds looks so cool.

I just went out an measured again and the 99" bed would come out a few inches past the end of the frame. The 93.5" frame goes to the end of the frame rails which allows my "bumper" to be exposed. Shoot. It wouldn't be too bad to have the bed a little long, not sure if it is worth it or not.

I'm not too confident that the older beds would fit without moving the brackets an inch or so. It really depends on where he measured...

Old 02-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Joe, the pictured bed is identical to mine, which came off a 48 F3. The dimensions he sent you match my bed exactly.

You may recall I had to make some wood spacers to bolt the bed to my frame boards because of the strange dimension of 33" for a 34" frame width. But it fits fine.

The only real problem I see with that bed is the crossmembers all look bent. Maybe that's an optical illusion.

In this pic, you can see how the finished 2x6 frame boards are moved to the inside of the frame to mount the bed. If I had used unfinished lumber, the board width would have been correct to match the frame rail width.

And yes, my bed should be a foot longer and a few inches wider for the F4, but I like to call it my F4 Sport!

Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Thanks Joe. Do you have any up close pictures of the attachment to the frame. I had forgotten that you needed to use spacers.
For the older beds he has that are in better shape, I could possibly use something like a 4X6 to be the support for the narrower frame rails.

The one pictured may be too much for me to fix, but maybe not.
Anyone near Kansas City want to take a road trip with me/
I was actually measuring my daily driver to see if I could somehow fit one of those in the bed of that and still be safe. It would hang out about 2 feet past my lowered tailgate. hmmm....

I guess you could just heat and pound the cross members to get them straight again?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Harrier
Thanks Joe. Do you have any up close pictures of the attachment to the frame. I had forgotten that you needed to use spacers.
For the older beds he has that are in better shape, I could possibly use something like a 4X6 to be the support for the narrower frame rails.

The one pictured may be too much for me to fix, but maybe not.
Anyone near Kansas City want to take a road trip with me/
I was actually measuring my daily driver to see if I could somehow fit one of those in the bed of that and still be safe. It would hang out about 2 feet past my lowered tailgate. hmmm....

I guess you could just heat and pound the cross members to get them straight again?
I'll get some close up shots of the bed attachment for you later today. The beds are designed to fit the inside dimension of the frames. So, if my bed rails were thicker, I would not have needed the spacers. The frame boards are just moved to the inside edge of the rail instead of the outside edge, as I had pictured it would fit. I think all the frames for our era trucks were 34" frame width, so that's how all the beds would be mounted.

I think the cross members could be straightened, but I'm no metal worker. I am, however, an enabler. So there's that.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Yeah, asking questions like this is a double edged sword. I get great info, but it's also from bad enablers.

Sad thing is that I started down this path trying to be an enabler for someone else. I guy on Facebook asked about a 9 foot script bed. So, being the good enabler, I started looking. I found Stu's 8' bed, but he wised up and decided to keep it. Then I abandoned the Facebook guy and started looking for myself. Sigh.....

My wife's email is the default email in Outlook on our computer. So, when the guy replied I hear her from the other room. "If you are going to buy something on Craigslist be sure to take someone with you. You will go there and someone will steal all your money." I think that is a green light to purchase a bed, right?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:06 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
[QUOTE=Harrier;16013271 on Craigslist be sure to take someone with you. You will go there and someone will steal all your money." I think that is a green light to purchase a bed, right?[/QUOTE]

I would take that as a buy signal

Yeah, we're all enablers

Old 02-04-2016, 12:12 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Harrier Yes I heard it loud and clear!!! Besides I have found its always better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. Of course the bed may also include price of a woman's purse or pair of shoes.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, asking questions like this is a double edged sword. I get great info, but it's also from bad enablers.

Sad thing is that I started down this path trying to be an enabler for someone else. I guy on Facebook asked about a 9 foot script bed. So, being the good enabler, I started looking. I found Stu's 8' bed, but he wised up and decided to keep it. Then I abandoned the Facebook guy and started looking for myself. Sigh.....
I also happen to have a 8' Ford script bed frame if you know someone who is interested. It needs blasting and all the angle iron crossmembers replaced but the main frame and mount crossmembers are solid. I'm in Michigan though . . .

Old 02-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Joe, here's a shot of my plywood spacers I used to move the frame boards over to the inside edge so I could bolt the bed directly to the frame boards. And the space between the bed mounts is such that this is the only way I could think to make it work.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:22 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
Joe, I just read in the March/April issue of Vintage Truck a guy has a Ford script bed from a 53 F250 with frame painted black, new oak floor boards, pine side racks, correct Hardware for $800 or best offer. But he lives in VA. His number is 540-420-2747. It measures 9 x 7.

Signed, your enabling FTE Friend,
Abe

Old 02-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by abe
Joe, I just read in the March/April issue of Vintage Truck a guy has a Ford script bed from a 53 F250 with frame painted black, new oak floor boards, pine side racks, correct Hardware for $800 or best offer. But he lives in VA. His number is 540-420-2747. It measures 9 x 7.

Signed, your enabling FTE Friend,
Abe
Well, there's your bed. Virginia is a beautiful state from which to pick it up.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:42 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,446 Posts
And gas is cheap now!

Old 02-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
You guys are sick!!!
So Virginia is 14 hours from me. (Yes I checked it out)
Now, the 9 foot bed is too big for me. And it's above my price point. But, it would work great for Joe.
So here is the plan. Joe will take his bed off his truck, load it on a trailer and come to me in Missouri. Drop his bed off. Then, I can keep him company on his way to Virginia as he gets his new 9' bed. On our way back, he can just drop me off and head the rest of the way back to California.

If that falls through, I guess I should ask the guy what he wants for the newer bed....although it sounds like I can make the older, better shape beds work.....

Quick Reply: Ford Script Beds