1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1999 Ford Van E250 3/4 2WD - Stalling, and I think it is because of the wrong Trans Filter

Old 02-03-2016, 06:23 PM
kylechamb
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 Ford Van E250 3/4 2WD - Stalling, and I think it is because of the wrong Trans Filter

So I bought a Van off a friend. It was running but had been sitting for a year or less. He drove it to the mechanics and had it fully serviced including tranny and trans filter.

It drove great and we were on the highway for about 3 hours. We pulled over to get gas and I had stopped at a stop sign and it stalled. For a minute it didn't want to start. We checked all the fluids, trans fluids were good. A few minutes later it started and I drove it to the station, but again it kepting wanting to stall unless I kept the RPMs up.

I read somewhere from another thread that they had installed the wrong Trans Filter. See below if you want to read.

When I googled the part number 1-9751 the mechanic used for the trans filter it pulled up a trans filter for a 4x4 http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252160143073?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
But, when I go onto NAPAs website it doesnt state that that item is for 4x4.

Parts Geek also list the Transmissions it fits, so I am going to see if I can see what Transmission I have.

MAIN QUESTION:
Do you think this is the wrong trans filter? Would the 4x4 make a difference. Is there a way to see if the part number is wrong?

This is what I found from another thread.

- "Re: F250 stalls when placed in Reverse. Why?
I had the same problem with my F250 7.3 lately. I was not having any issues, but decided to get a trans service just because of mileage. During the service, I saw the trans magnet and there was almost nothing on it. Trans was in great shape and no concerns noted. After the service, it was running fine in drive, but in reverse the RPMs would drop real low. If I kept my foot on the brake when putting in reverse, it would drop RPM, but engage and then seem okay. If I took foot off the brake before it engaged, it would almost always stall out. Took it to Ford. Their tech sat in it, put it in reverse once, then said I needed to replace the Torque Converter. No other diagnostics. That will be $1200 thank you. I don't think so. I took it back to the trans service place and asked them to look into it. They took the pan back off and found out they installed the wrong trans filter. It was similar, but off just enough to change pressures when shifting. Don't know if they ordered wrong one, or parts house dropped off wrong one. Either way, got the correct filter put in and it runs like never before. No more low RPMs or stalling out.

It is a cheap thing to check on before a new trans, a torque converter, etc"

Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
That's the right filter. Before 1999 there was a different filter for 4x2 and 4x4, but 1999 and newer all use the 4x4 filter.

Even if it were the wrong filter that couldn't keep it from restarting.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:58 AM
kylechamb
New User
Thank you for clearing it up. I am still going to look at the trans for the part number and make sure it is the right trans filter before I take the pan off.

I didn't understand your sentence " keep it from restarting" Maybe I didn't explain correctly.

I am driving it and it drives great. In fact this morning I had no issues. But last night it would stall out when I would park. It's mainly when I shift in and out of reverse. But I give it some gas (sometimes with my left foot on the break) and put it in gear and it's good to go. When I picked it up we drove from MO to Las Vegas with no problems and no check engine light, other than sometimes stalling when we got gas. Any suggestions?

Old 02-04-2016, 12:19 PM
foompla
New User
I sometimes run into problems with the EGR hanging open after long trips. When you come to a stop, it stalls the vehicle. Easy to check.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by kylechamb
I didn't understand your sentence " keep it from restarting" Maybe I didn't explain correctly.
Right here you said it didn't want to start. To me that says it wouldn't restart after it stalled.
Originally Posted by kylechamb
For a minute it didn't want to start.