Minnesota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fordpower88

New f250 owner

Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 PM
MNBenny
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also what are peoples thoughts on Astro starters? Good Idea, bad idea? I did some searching for tires for my truck, and it looks like I will have to pay about $1000 for 4 of them. For 35" tires.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:58 PM
MNBenny
Mountain Pass
You often see owners with there trucks flying big flags in the boxes....how do they do that?

Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 AM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBenny
You know that's a good question Cory! I know underneath the steering wheel is a **** with a toggle switch. I'm not sure what it does. As for service History don't know. There were no documention with the truck. Supposedly from what the salesman told me is a good friend of his, and he's a deisel mechanic. He changed the oil about 3,000 miles ago. I asked him (the salesman) if I should have the oil changed he said no. I wouldn't worry about it right now.

So the oil was changed at roughly 118,000 miles. which means it would be due at 124,000 or so.
Follow the wires from the toggle switch and see where they go. Easiest way to find out what its for. If it were me I would change the oil now and any other fluids you want to. Then you know for sure exactly what you got and are starting fresh. The salesman can tell you whatever he wants but that doesn't make it true.

Here's a question. Does this chapter ever have get togethers at all? Just to visit with each other in person?
Yes we do. It has been a while now. You can always go to the bs thread and ask and see what interest there is and then start a thread and throw out some dates and see who can make what work. Seems like once the weather is nicer it is easier to gtg.

Also what are peoples thoughts on Astro starters? Good Idea, bad idea? I did some searching for tires for my truck, and it looks like I will have to pay about $1000 for 4 of them. For 35" tires.
I have had a couple in past vehicles and had no trouble but have heard other stories of people having issues so.........

You often see owners with there trucks flying big flags in the boxes....how do they do that?
They may stick them in the stake pocket or maybe make a bracket in the bed I suppose. I never seem them around here but maybe around you there are more people doing it.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:25 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to change the oil, filter, fuel filters, and I'd recommend also doing the t-case, transmission, and both differentials right away to make sure it's all good. Use only OE filters too. Also, oil changes every 5000 miles, fuel filters every 10000. At the most.

Also, get something to check data. You want to verify if you oil cooler is good, and be able to watch some numbers. Not sure what gauges are in your pods now...

Old 02-05-2016, 09:33 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BTW, what did you have to pay for that?

Old 02-05-2016, 10:27 AM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like Troy pretty much answered your questions. I would recommend changing all the fluids also. You never know when they were changed last and lets face it a salesman will say anything to get you to buy it. Seems like every used car or truck was owned by a mechanic according salesman. If you need a scan of it let me know and I can see if can arrange a time. I have a basic code reader and the Torque Pro app on my phone that is set up to read some of the 6.0 parameters.

If you want to arrange a GTG like Troy said throw some dates out there and see if something will work.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:31 AM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by dlibson
You need to change the oil, filter, fuel filters, and I'd recommend also doing the t-case, transmission, and both differentials right away to make sure it's all good. Use only OE filters too. Also, oil changes every 5000 miles, fuel filters every 10000. At the most.

Also, get something to check data. You want to verify if you oil cooler is good, and be able to watch some numbers. Not sure what gauges are in your pods now...
Along with what Dave has said here make sure the caps on the oil and fuel filter are Ford ones as well and not aftermarket.

Originally Posted by HP junkie
Looks like Troy pretty much answered your questions. I would recommend changing all the fluids also. You never know when they were changed last and lets face it a salesman will say anything to get you to buy it. Seems like every used car or truck was owned by a mechanic according salesman. If you need a scan of it let me know and I can see if can arrange a time. I have a basic code reader and the Torque Pro app on my phone that is set up to read some of the 6.0 parameters.

If you want to arrange a GTG like Troy said throw some dates out there and see if something will work.
Really.....a salesman will say anything to sell a car...even lie. Your kidding right?

Old 02-05-2016, 12:26 PM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
I know its hard to believe Troy but it happens.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:33 PM
MNBenny
Mountain Pass
@dave...........I paid 10,800 for it. Maybe that's not a bad on doing the oil change. I'll have to wait with the other fluids until I get paid again. From what tenvoorde has told me they would do an oil change to also.

The pods on the A-arm have fuel pressure, boost, and volts.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:38 PM
MNBenny
Mountain Pass
Hey Cory I think I woould like to take you up on that if I could. I'm around all weekend long. Don't you live in Holdingford?

Old 02-08-2016, 08:40 PM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Sorry I was a bit busy this weekend with basketball tourney. I have a another tourney on Sat but you could swing over Sunday afternoon if that works. That would be the next open time I have. I am sure your excited to get it figured out and don't want to make you wait too long.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:27 PM
MNBenny
Mountain Pass
I had a thought and I wanted to hear people's thoughts? Being that the truck is a SD. Has anyone or does anyone know of people working for a company in Indana that pulls brand new campers from the factory to dealers around the U.S.? Is there money to be had in doing that? Also would my F250 with 121,000 miles on it handle that sort of thing?

Thank you in advance

Old 02-11-2016, 10:29 PM
MNBenny
Mountain Pass
I'm not having any luck finding any Class A work where they don't want experience.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
how the frame rust?

Old 02-12-2016, 08:33 AM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

I had a thought and I wanted to hear people's thoughts? Being that the truck is a SD. Has anyone or does anyone know of people working for a company in Indana that pulls brand new campers from the factory to dealers around the U.S.? Is there money to be had in doing that? Also would my F250 with 121,000 miles on it handle that sort of thing?

Thank you in advance
I don't know anyone personally. I am sure there is some money to be made. Personally I wouldn't do it unless I had a dually. You have plenty of power and all but with pulling big fifth wheels and some of the longer travel trailers stability will be a factor with your truck in the wind and bad roads. Not that it can't be done with your truck but will be much nicer and safer with a dually IMO. You will have to research and call companies but some I know require a newer truck so yours might be too old.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New f250 owner