1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

do 1997 F250 7.3L have Inertia valves?

Old 02-02-2016, 04:22 PM
zarmo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do 1997 F250 7.3L have Inertia valves?

I have had issues with the #22 fuse blowing, till I found out thru this website about the fuel heater issue in the filter housing and have since disconnected it. and have had not other problems with the fuse blowing again. but after just a few uses of my truck since the fix, I hit a large bump in the road and my truck just died like before when I blew #22 fuse, so when I went to trouble shoot it, I found the fuse good along with all the other fuses. checked for disconnected wires related to the fuel system and found all in good working order. But now I read on this website about a fuel inertia valve. but I cannot find it. I have looked in the kick panel on the right side, under the hood. and still cannot find. so does this model have that valve? or do I have another issue I am not aware of? HELP I am broke down in my driveway.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:28 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
Have you checked your cps? Also when you unplug the heater element did you make sure that the wire is secured, because the wire can hit the block or accessories and short out

Old 02-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the "wait-to-start" light still come on?

Old 02-02-2016, 04:51 PM
zarmo
Junior User
yes the wait to start does come on for the appropriate time. and there is no smoke from the exhaust. it cranks very good.
I did tie up the heater element wire and I also wrapped it in electrical tape and zip tied to another component that has insulation around it. I checked to see if that was still in good shape and it was. besides if it did short out somewhere, it would have blown fuse #22 again and it did not blow.

to z31freakify, refresh my memory what is the CPS? I know i should know this, but I forget.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:57 PM
zarmo
Junior User
Okay, I just figured out what the CPS is, and yes it was one of the things replaced when I first had the fuse issue, before I found the fuse problem, we just assumed it was the CPS. it is a known good one. and when my cps did go out before, I had now wait to start light and no tach reading, and now I do. so I don't think it is. but for some reason I cannot communicate with my ob2 fault code reader. all I get is error, and all the fuses are good. I am getting power to the unit.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:04 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
Camshaft position sensor.(CPS)

Old 02-02-2016, 05:55 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
A generic code reader does not communicate with our trucks.

So you now have both WTS AND tach movement?

Check all the UVCH connectors. Also check the connector to the IDM.

It's possible, but not likely, that it's fuel-related. You should check for fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the FPR. Also check to see if the fuel bowl is filling.

No such valve on the passenger side. The fuel lines run down the driver's side. You were probably looking at something referencing a gasser; their fuel systems are completely different (it's a matter of engine fuel type, not model).

Old 02-02-2016, 09:46 PM
zarmo
Junior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
A generic code reader does not communicate with our trucks.

So you now have both WTS AND tach movement?

Check all the UVCH connectors. Also check the connector to the IDM.

It's possible, but not likely, that it's fuel-related. You should check for fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the FPR. Also check to see if the fuel bowl is filling.

No such valve on the passenger side. The fuel lines run down the driver's side. You were probably looking at something referencing a gasser; their fuel systems are completely different (it's a matter of engine fuel type, not model).
thanks Madpoque for the come back. first off remember you guys, you are dealing with an old guy, so I don't know what all the aberrations mean. so help an old guy out here. I figured out what WTS is. but not much else. oh yea the CTS I now remember.
so please tell me what the HVCH is and the FPR are? I know where the schrader valve is and i wil check it tomorrow.
thanks all.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
UVCH=Under valve cover harness, runs to the injectors and glow plugs 2 per side od engine
FPR= fuel pressure regulator, mounts to the side of the fuel filter bowl.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:08 PM
zarmo
Junior User
okay, thanks, I have not checked the under valve cover harness because I would think maybe one would come off but not all 4 on one bump. so that will be a last resort. I will check the schrader for fuel pressure tomorrow.
what is the IDM? and where is it.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:34 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
IDM is the injector driver module. Mounted on the inner fender, driver's side. It's a "dumb slave" to the PCM, receives signals from the PCM of when to fire which injector, and boosts the voltage to 120VDC to fire the injectors. Another possible IDM issue is water incursion. You can disconnect it, unbolt it from the inner fender, and give it a shake and listen for water sloshing in it.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:35 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
This is at the top under mods, should help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...finitions.html

Old 02-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
About the inertia valve on the fuel line, some of us have replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one and also installed an inertia switch on the wiring to the pump. That may be where you read about the inertia fuel line valve.

The only time my truck has failed to start was due to low oil level in the High Pressure Oil Pump (HPOP) reservoir. It's supposed to stay automatically full, but for some unknown reason decided to get empty. I filled it up with fresh oil and it's been fine ever since. The reservoir is located at the front of the engine between the top of the fan and the fuel filter. Easiest way for me to check the level and fill it was to remove the sensor on the top of it. The hole is kind of small and an equally small funnel helps. There is also a plug on top you can remove and fill through it.

Worth checking that oil level since it's a simple project and just might be your problem. Good luck.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:35 AM
zarmo
Junior User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
This is at the top under mods, should help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...finitions.html

Thank you for that. a big help.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 AM
zarmo
Junior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
IDM is the injector driver module. Mounted on the inner fender, driver's side. It's a "dumb slave" to the PCM, receives signals from the PCM of when to fire which injector, and boosts the voltage to 120VDC to fire the injectors. Another possible IDM issue is water incursion. You can disconnect it, unbolt it from the inner fender, and give it a shake and listen for water sloshing in it.
So going back to the original symptom. that it quit suddenly after hitting a bump in the road. would water in the IDM cause a sudden shut down and not re-start????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: do 1997 F250 7.3L have Inertia valves?