1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

do 1997 F250 7.3L have Inertia valves?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:27 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
The IPR goes into the high pressure oil pump (hpop) and that bolts onto the front cover. If you remove the IPR be real careful not to get any dirt on it!

Old 02-08-2016, 12:55 AM
zarmo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will not be the one to pull it out if it needs, I am way to disabled to be bending over this radiator any more. but if it turns out to be that. still not sure what is causing my not start conditions just yet. sure wish I could read any codes, but I guess my OBII reader will not read this truck for some reason. and I bought it specifically for this truck.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:52 PM
zarmo
Junior User
I found the IPR and am still trying to ascertain if it is loose. but I did find that the plug in is loose, but does not pull out or push in at all , just side to side.
I also found that my OBD2 reader will not read codes on this truck. according to the parts store, it is the old obd1 readers. can anyone confirm this?

Old 02-13-2016, 04:13 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It's neither. You need a device that reads our non-standard "OBD-not-really-II" protocol.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:37 PM
zarmo
Junior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
It's neither. You need a device that reads our non-standard "OBD-not-really-II" protocol.
do you have any recomendations? when I put in ford scanner I get pocket tools around $25 to $250. I allready purchased on that I was told years ago that it would work but now I find it did not. limited funds for this as well.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:40 PM
zarmo
Junior User
Originally Posted by ReBilld
It is just in front of, and a little to the driver side of the fuel bowl, down in the valley. It screws into the back of the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump). If the nut fell off, it is a bear to get back on. There isn't much room to get your hand in there. If you see that the nut has in fact fell off, use a long screw driver to push the solenoid back up toward the HPOP and see if the truck will start. Worry about getting the nut back on then.
Eureka, I found it. and it looks good as far as the nut goes. I pulled the plug on the sensor on the drivers side head. that everyone said it would default to a pressure that would allow the engine to run if it were bad. no luck still will not start. found that my reader will not work on this truck so luckily a parts person the the local O'Reillys parts store has a $1100 reader and is willing to come over tonight after work to read any codes. will advise. thanks all I am at a stand still.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:24 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
zarmo, where are you located? One of us may be close....

Old 02-15-2016, 12:07 AM
zarmo
Junior User
Originally Posted by LeoJr
zarmo, where are you located? One of us may be close....
I live in a small town 20 miles north of Eureka, CA.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I could have came and helded ya out if i was still in cali.
Wasn't too far from me.

I'[m back in atlanta now.

There are a few super duty guys out there that can probably give you a hand if need be.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:32 AM
zarmo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Talyn
I could have came and helded ya out if i was still in cali.
Wasn't too far from me.

I'[m back in atlanta now.

There are a few super duty guys out there that can probably give you a hand if need be.
Thank you Talyn, I sure could use the help. i just kills me to pay someone to work on my vehicles, but my body is giving up on me. along with my finances. I spoke to a local shop that only works on Ford trucks, they want $142.50 up front to diagnose my issues and maybe repair for that. I may have to do this. as I have given up on all I can do with no tool to read my codes.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't have any direct experience with them, but I believe that there are inexpensive"apps" available for smart phones and tablets that can read OBS Powerstroke codes. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:24 PM
zarmo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bob_T
I don't have any direct experience with them, but I believe that there are inexpensive"apps" available for smart phones and tablets that can read OBS Powerstroke codes. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.
well if that is true...I hope....I hope, I would still need a way to connect to the truck. how would that work. maybe some kind of wifi broadcast adapter. Oh if someone knows I would love to try it out.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:41 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Subscribe to Powerstroke Nation dot com . Then go to the '94.5-'97 main discussion section, and do a search on "Torque android". There's a thread about an app called Torque Pro, that runs on Android devices and communicates via a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the port under the dash. The thread is VERY long, but it contains info on how to get it to communicate with the oddball OBS protocol. I haven't followed the thread in a while, but I *THINK* they've found a way to obtain trouble codes, along with reading live data such as injection pressure, oil temp, etc.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:41 PM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Here's a link to a wireless iphone adapter and below it is a link to one for an Android device. These are just examples I found and not recommendations as I haven't used these specific ones. Maybe someone else can come up with specific recommendations.

http://www.amazon.com/ieGeek%C2%AE-Wireless-Scanner-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B00B3K2X4M http://www.amazon.com/ieGeek%C2%AE-Wireless-Scanner-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B00B3K2X4M

Amazon.com: BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices: Automotive Amazon.com: BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices: Automotive

Old 02-15-2016, 04:34 PM
zarmo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Bob_T
Here's a link to a wireless iphone adapter and below it is a link to one for an Android device. These are just examples I found and not recommendations as I haven't used these specific ones. Maybe someone else can come up with specific recommendations.

http://www.amazon.com/ieGeek%C2%AE-W.../dp/B00B3K2X4M

Amazon.com: BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices: Automotive

WOW, thank you for this. I have been researching for several hours now and I have learned a lot. and using the link sent above from madpoque, I found that the BAFX adapter will work and they linked to a website that allowed you to plug in your vehicle information to find out it it would work and what protocol being used the site is "http://obdclearinghouse.com/" go to vehicle oem data base and enter your vehicle. and I found my 97 F250 and the protocol J1850 PWM 41.6, which works with the BAFX TOOL. and then download the program called Torque for android only or the pro version for less than $5.00. it is amazing just how much information is allowed on this tool. I am ordering it via amazon for $22.99+shipping. they for some reason will not do an overnight on this. so it will be Friday before I get this. Meanwhile back at my truck it the issue of towing it into a shop anyway. I think that is the only solution for now. but I am still ordering the tool

Quick Reply: do 1997 F250 7.3L have Inertia valves?