Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 XL 302 with 5 speed

Old 02-01-2016, 06:55 AM
dstraw
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 XL 302 with 5 speed

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1996 Bronco XL with the 5.0 and a manual 5 speed. I cannot locate any production numbers on the XL model? Are these rare? Desirable? It's got just under 200K miles, but the body is in good shape. Do you think it's a good deal at $3500? Any major condition issues unique to this model?

Old 02-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I don't know about production numbers or rarity, but the xl model is the "base" meaning bottom line model. If it's an xl, it usually means manual windows/door locks, mirrors, transfer case etc. Being that it's a 1996, it has OBDII, so it follows the new emissions regulations. Basically this means if you need emissions testing, it's much faster as long as the check engine light is off. Getting codes checked on OBDII systems can be done anywhere. The only thing is you'll have a little bit more emissions components (like an extra O2 sensor), but nothing that bad really. 96 is that last year Broncos where made also.

I greatly prefer having a manual transmission and transfer case. It would be nice to be able to engage 4x4 with a button, but I hear those have some problems.

My Bronco is a 1996 xl manual with 302 and it's given me barely any problems at all. It currently has about 236k miles on it, and I put 135k on it. For Arizona prices, I would say 3500 (if the body and interior are in good shape) is an average deal, a little on the better end for you. I've seen some Broncos with over 200k and people are asking 4k to 5k and more in AZ.

If you like manual and want a Bronco, I'd say it's worth getting. Manual Broncos seem to be a little bit harder to come by. The ONLY thing I've come across with a 96 Bronco that may posed a very minimal problem with the 10 years of me owning one is that the harmonic balancers have a sensor ring on them for this year truck. They don't sell replacement balancers anywhere I've looked for this year, so in the rare case you ever need yours replaced, you'll have to send it out to be rebuilt instead. I thought about replacing mine when I did my timing chain, but opted not sending it out to get rebuilt. Mine has 236k miles on it and poses no problem for me.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:15 PM
dstraw
Senior User
Thanks Bubba!

Old 02-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Ghosteh
Freshman User
Usually a base model, but not always. I've seen XLs that had more factory options & luxury than some XLTs.

$3500 may be a good deal if the truck doesn't need a total rebuild, but for an untouched 200K mile truck, I'd say that was too high... even if the body is rust free.

I bought mine for $1500 with 110K miles, then put another $3-4K in it rebuilding steering, brakes, shocks, transfer case, hubs, tires, etc., without even touching the engine or trans.

But if you're looking at extremely nice paint & interior (doubtful for a 200K truck), that price may be a decent deal, even if you do need to go thru it mechanically. Cosmetics can be even more expensive than mechanical refreshing.

And I agree with Bubba; a manual transmission & transfer case would be more desirable to me.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:10 PM
dstraw
Senior User
It has the optional factory AC, excellent after market aluminum wheels, bucket seats and some new parts like an MSD dizzy and cat back system.....

Old 02-01-2016, 02:53 PM
dstraw
Senior User
Old 02-01-2016, 03:58 PM
D Thomas
Junior User
OJ movie is coming on tomorrow night.......just sayin

Nice ride!

Old 02-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
That does look pretty clean. I'm not really super excited about black out lights but it doesn't look bad.

One unusual thing is the side mirrors. I believe the stopped using the "steel" a-arm type side view mirrors in 92. If that is indeed a 96, the side-view mirrors must have been changed. The newer mirrors are either all black, or black with a chrome backing. They only mount closer up to the window too. Look at my signature picture for reference.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:34 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My bronco is a '96 XL, manual everything, 302, plain jane, 218,000 miles. Super reliable. If you can get the price down to

Old 02-05-2016, 10:50 AM
Ghosteh
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
One unusual thing is the side mirrors. I believe the stopped using the "steel" a-arm type side view mirrors in 92. If that is indeed a 96, the side-view mirrors must have been changed. The newer mirrors are either all black, or black with a chrome backing. They only mount closer up to the window too. Look at my signature picture for reference.
That's not correct. The a-arm type mirrors were still available up thru '96, as well as the new type. It just depended on the package & options.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Ghosteh
That's not correct. The a-arm type mirrors were still available up thru '96, as well as the new type. It just depended on the package & options.
Huh you learn something everyday then! I don't remember where I read that only 92 had them, but in my experience the only one's I've seen with those mirrors were 92s or older. I guess most people didn't want to order those mirrors then!

Old 02-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Ghosteh
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
I guess most people didn't want to order those mirrors then!
That could be! My former employer had a fleet of about 400 Broncos (plus other vehicles) from 94-96, and probably more than half had those big mirrors, but the others had the smaller ones you mention.
All those trucks were high-optioned vehicles (XL or XLT) with power windows, locks, cruise, leather wheel, ect., but had cloth seats & manual hubs. We also had 5.0 & 5.8 engines, so it was quite a mix. I have no idea why they were spec'd that way.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:54 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1996 XL 302 with 5 speed

I can't say for the bronco, but my 97 f250(obs) had the big mirrors like that. Of it was an option for the f series I would think it would be for the bronco as well. My bronco has the small black ones with chrome back, which I have to replace because my step daughter tried to climb my bronco and ripped the mirror off. She did the same thing to my obs f 250 and broke the big mirror off. And ran her bike into the side of my van and dented it......

For the op, I paid $3,800 for mine 10 years ago with less miles, fully loaded, leather, looked brand new, etc. That price isn't out of the ballpark, but I would try to talk them down a little.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Dang, I suppose Broncos go for more in Arizona then. I did get a good deal on mine at the time. It had a new 4" lift with new 33 BFGs. The transmission apparently was replaced 1k miles before buying mine too. However, if was a stock XL with bare bones everything else. It only had 101k miles though, but I spent 5000 on it. The interior was in good shape, but I swapped the entire interior out for the Eddie Bauer leather/ power a few years back.

The good thing about Arizona and nearby places is that there is never any worry of rust though! Maybe that's why they seem to go for a little more around here?

Phillips91, I'd be pretty unhappy if my trucks were getting damaged all the time! I suppose I could forgive my family... but man it would make me upset!

Old 02-06-2016, 09:42 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's been a while since I've been to Arizona, but I always tell my wife I need to hook an extra trailer up to my rig so I can bring some old cars back with me. I see a ton of 30's to 50's model cars and trucks out there in the fields and not a one of them is rusted out like stuff from the 90's is here.

As for the girl, forgiveness would be given if it was asked for. She's 11 and always says "it's just a car, get over it" when I find out she broke something. 7 more years. Not that I'm counting down or anything lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 XL 302 with 5 speed