6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR Valve Question (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 05:18 PM
Arizona97
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EGR Valve Question (with pics)

Hello Gurus, I need your opinion regarding my EGR Valve....My wife’s 2007 6.0..60K miles. Yes its hers... Wife calls me Friday morning about 1 mile from home saying she was seeing some white smoke from the exhaust, I had her turn around and return home, when she arrived there was no smoke white or otherwise. Sent her on her way.

On Saturday I pulled the EGR valve, here is what I found.

Looks a little wet in the upper chamber but dry and sooty in the bottom area with no signs of steam cleaning.

The same gooey mess inside the upper chamber of the manifold.

I cleaned up the EGR valve and manifold and reinstalled the valve. I have not seen any white smoke myself.

My question is this, how bad do you think it is?
Should I address this immediately or just soon?
She drives 15 minutes twice per day.

I am planning on a tear down to upgrade Bullet Proof EGR cooler, STC fitting, OEM Oil Cooler, standpipes, dummy plugs and clean the Turbo.

I was hoping to start on the work this spring.
Thanks for your input.
Ed

Old 01-31-2016, 07:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
There is a tsb on coking. Its been awhile and I dont recall the tsb number.
However that condition can be caused by a few things.
Poor fuel, excessive idle time, lack of reaching and maintaining operating temperature are among them.
I suggest checking the ebp tube and cleaning the iat2.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:31 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
How full of oil is the engine? Looks like oil and soot mix. Excessive blow-by or
an overfill of engine oil that is being foamed and carried out of the engine vent
into the intake.
Pull the intake elbow and have a look down into the intake and see how plugged
up the passages are. If bad you may want to think about pulling the intake and
having it cleaned out. More than likely you can wait on this till you get into the
BIG project. For now I would kist take a look and see. BUT do check the oil level
and also when it running take the oil filler cap off and place it upside down on
the pipe and it should sit and not be blown off by the gassed coming out.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

EDIT : I would go with what Cheezit said first.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:36 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The valve has been out before , the old Orings were orange right off the line, are you down in the valley of the sun? Lots of stop and go's idleing waiting for lights to turn green have a tendency to do this , do you run a fuel treatment? Unless your in the White Mountains no need for Anti gel, just a good Cetain boost, Diesel kleen Cetain , Stanadyne , or even Howes is very good products to use , I do 4 oz per every fill , it will also help with water disapation , corrosion, and a cleaning agent along with Cetain to help clean the intake for better functioning sensors and over all Engine performance.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by cheezit
There is a tsb on coking. Its been awhile and I dont recall the tsb number.
However that condition can be caused by a few things.
Poor fuel, excessive idle time, lack of reaching and maintaining operating temperature are among them.
I suggest checking the ebp tube and cleaning the iat2.
I tend to believe what I've highlighted in bold red to be the cause, given the description by the OP regarding its usage.

As the former owner of a 2007 6.0L F-250 (now owner of a 2016 6.7L F-250), driven 35 kilometers (22 miles) each way to and from work, I used to make it a point to remove the EGR valve and clean out the passages during every oil change (every 5000 kms. [3000 miles]) to avoid exactly what is pictured above. But like others have posted, using cetane booster additive along with driving it on the highway pushed under heavy load (a. k. a. LOTS of WOT runs) will reduce the likelihood of that happening.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:01 AM
Arizona97
Tuned
Hi Cheezit, thanks for the advice, I will pull the EBP tube & IAT2 and clean both, yes the truck does make a lot of short trips and it needs a long run and a new Tstat, it's on the list.
My major concern is the EGR Cooler for now, what do you think?
Ed

Old 02-01-2016, 06:07 AM
Arizona97
Tuned
Thanks Yahiko, great idea on the intake elbow I will do that as well. As for the oil level it is right on the full mark and never changes much between 5K mile oil changes with Delo 5W 40, I am not seeing any blow by as of the last time I checked.
Everyone,s input is greatly appreciated.
Ed

Old 02-01-2016, 06:22 AM
Arizona97
Tuned
04badford, that is what I thought when I pulled it, must have been pulled by the dealer at the 30K mile check up when under warranty. Yes I live in Peoria, AZ. near Sun City my wife drives the truck to and from work M-F about 15 minutes each way and shopping on Sat. Yes I have been using Lucas fuel treatment on every fill up but thinking about changing to Stanadyne.
Thanks, Ed

Old 02-01-2016, 06:29 AM
Arizona97
Tuned
m-chan68, I think you are right, i will add it to the list of things to do during my oil changes, pull it and clean it. I know it needs more highway time but time is the key word.
Thanks for your input.
Ed

Old 02-01-2016, 08:38 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm....Lucas is a Bozo no no for this type of fuel injection. I'd use the above cleaners for your fuel and Syn oil for your oil changes and Motorcraft or Racor filters only. If your going to use oil additives I recommend Archoil......it worked for me

Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 AM
mhatlen
2006 Bullet-Riddled 6.0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run Diesel Kleen or Royal Purple fuel treatment still today and it makes a huge difference in how clean the EGR is. My other truck had a EGR system and it really was super clean all the time after I started using diesel Kleen on every tank.

Try it you will be as surprised as I was.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:06 PM
Arizona97
Tuned
Per4mance, I have read several posts that say that about Lucas but still haven't seen any real data to back it up. I run Chevron Delo 400 LE 5W 40 full syn and change at 5K, also all filters are either Motorcraft or Racor (same same).
I thought Archoil was for stiction problems and I am not having any.
Thank you for your advice, keep up the good work.
Ed

Old 02-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Arizona97
Tuned
Hi mhatlen, thanks, Diesel Kleen huh, I will have to look into that as I just ran out of Lucas.
Thanks
Ed

Old 02-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Or you can just run the Ford/Motorcraft PM22 in the fuel. It does seem
to make things run cleaner. I should pul mine and clean it. I think the
last time the EGR valve was out way a year ago or a bit more.

On the short trips I will admit I do them also with one exception I take the
long way home and drive several long freeway trips every week.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 02-01-2016, 05:02 PM
Arizona97
Tuned
Thanks Sean, my wife's daily commute is what it is, short and sweet, I have had to add a larger alternator to keep the batteries up during the week plus I charge them individually on the weekend, as far as cetane boost goes she does not need any more horsepower!!! compared to my old 7.3 it is scary fast. IDK maybe I will try some diesel kleen for a while and see if it helps with coking. She absolutely will not give up that 2007 6.0 KR of hers so I am going to have to keep it running good for her, the good news she never complains when I buy tools and parts, I know the 6.0s can be somewhat Finicky compared to my okd 02 7.3 with 240K on the clock but that 7.3 runs every day with never a problem. It is really really hard to turn loose of two paid-for Superdutys.
Thanks for listening.
Ed

Quick Reply: EGR Valve Question (with pics)