2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

What does manufacturer vehicle mean on a Autocheck report?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 03:40 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
What does manufacturer vehicle mean on a Autocheck report?

I just looked at a '15 F150 Platinum that has 14k miles on it. It was manufactured on 10/10/14 and shipped to dealer.

It shows being sold on 11/12/14 with a re registration in the same state on March of '15. Then on 8/14 it shows at auto auction. (doesn't say where except the state) and 3 days later it is reported as a manufacturer vehicle at the same auction.

The report shows no lease, crashes, no info, no duplicate title record, or any other issues.

This sounds like it is a buy back but the report says that is clean. The sales person denies a buyback/lemon issue also.

Why would the truck have a manufacturers title after it apparently been sold, titled in my state, and then sent to an auction in a adjoining state after a year, with a manufacturers vehicle record?

Edit to add: This is on a Ford dealer lot and not a independent.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:33 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tell the dealer you want a VINCENT report, which should show any service visits in the vehicle's history, along with any lemon/buyback issues.

Keep in mind that the Autocheck/etc. reports aggregate data from all sorts of places. The aggregation is pretty good, but not perfect. There's always the chance of an error.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:55 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Tell the dealer you want a VINCENT report, which should show any service visits in the vehicle's history, along with any lemon/buyback issues.

Keep in mind that the Autocheck/etc. reports aggregate data from all sorts of places. The aggregation is pretty good, but not perfect. There's always the chance of an error.
That's called an OASIS report.

SMART VINCENT is rebates, incentives and coupons.

Josh

Old 01-31-2016, 10:06 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Crap, you're absolutely right. Too many terms, too much going on this evening. Thanks for correcting me

Old 01-31-2016, 10:48 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tvsjr
Crap, you're absolutely right. Too many terms, too much going on this evening. Thanks for correcting me
It's all good.

As for the OP... that's a good question.

I bought a 2004 Nissan Maxima in 2005 that was a lease return. It's Carfax had a bunch of weird stuff like that on the report, especially since it was an East Coast car (Connecticut or Maryland I believe) and made it's way from auction to auction in the span of 3-4 months all the way to Colorado.

However, with a Ford the OASIS report will show any work done at the dealer level, from oil changes to software updates to reman engines etc.

Josh

Old 02-01-2016, 04:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Is it possible that the vehicle was used by Ford as an Exec privilege or a demo like when the 2011 Ecoboost tour was taking place?

Old 02-01-2016, 08:05 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd second the OASIS report just to be sure it's all good. The salesmen wouldn't have anyway to know anything beyond the reports they are given unless they've dabbled in the service side of FMC, and most sales people never bother. Now all that being said, a plausible reason for what your seeing is as Tim suggested, an Exec car that was then sold at auction. It's more likely to me that it was a filing error by the auction company, because the notion that the car would be bought back and then resold in 3 days is unrealistic. The reports are great for getting a better understanding of what liabilities you are taking with a used vehicle, but mistakes do happen in data entry. Heck, I had a customer trade in two F550 dump trucks, one was a 2000 (my current personal truck) and the other was an '03. We had a mileage discrepancy listed on the '03 car fax that hurt it's value. What 99% happened is this. "hey Joe go up and get the miles off the dump truck for registration" and then joe goes up and being a separate mind, just grabs the miles off the wrong truck. Bam, forever there is an appearance of a odometer rollback. Since I had both trucks and saw the miles it was easy for me to understand what happened, but all everyone else has forever is blind faith of a paper and that '03 will forever be worth a little bit less. I use the reports as risk mitigation, nothing more. It's certainly reason to ask for an OASIS, but if that comes back clean I wouldn't think twice about it from there.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:20 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
Heck, I had a customer trade in two F550 dump trucks, one was a 2000 (my current personal truck) and the other was an '03. We had a mileage discrepancy listed on the '03 car fax that hurt it's value. What 99% happened is this. "hey Joe go up and get the miles off the dump truck for registration" and then joe goes up and being a separate mind, just grabs the miles off the wrong truck. Bam, forever there is an appearance of a odometer rollback.
In the computer biz, we call it "GIGO", or Garbage In, Garbage Out. All the data tracking in the world pales in the presence of entry mistakes.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
I went into the dealer this morning and asked for the Oasis. The service manager prints out the maintenance schedule. I said I wanted the maintenance history of the truck and he said it just shows two oil changes in its history. I said can I get a print out and he referred me to a salesman. I left without talking anymore.

It sounds to me like a buy back and they are not disclosing it.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:03 PM
redford
Received 1,560 Likes on 908 Posts
Sounds more like a bank repossession to me.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:54 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Sounds like you were being huffy and trying to prove something to me. Why wouldn't you talk to the salesman? If service showed you the Oasis (print out or not) and there was just two oil changes, that's all he's got. You also used the wrong wording. You should have just asked for the OASIS report, not maintenance history. OASIS is JUST ford things, and any TSBs or things. The history is what you got in the autocheck, that is any 3rd party reportings. Service wouldn't have access to the "maintenance history" and the salesguy would. Dealerships aren't always out to get you, but if you treat them like they are they will probably feel it's better not to have your business. We pick our customers as much as you pick us.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:09 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Frantz
Sounds like you were being huffy and trying to prove something to me. Why wouldn't you talk to the salesman? If service showed you the Oasis (print out or not) and there was just two oil changes, that's all he's got. You also used the wrong wording. You should have just asked for the OASIS report, not maintenance history. OASIS is JUST ford things, and any TSBs or things. The history is what you got in the autocheck, that is any 3rd party reportings. Service wouldn't have access to the "maintenance history" and the salesguy would. Dealerships aren't always out to get you, but if you treat them like they are they will probably feel it's better not to have your business. We pick our customers as much as you pick us.
I doubt you turn any sales away. I didn't get to see the maintenance history on the screen or printout. I just have to take his word eh?

So you are a dealer? Then you should be able to explain how this truck gets sold but later becomes a manufacturer vehicle.

The Autocheck clearly states no repossessions.

It doesn't really matter now as I walked away from it. There are thousands of others out there to choose from. I won't be seeing any of yours though because I can't face rejection.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
I doubt you turn any sales away.
Oh but I do! We get surveys, and a bad survey is a reduction in commission. So I'll gladly gently insult you out of my store because a $100 mini commission isn't worth losing 2% until I get my CSI back up. I posted my plausible options above, I'm sure there are others too. I could even run an OASIS for you and share it, but I'm not in the mood. Honestly, attitude will burn you in this business. We don't like being talked down to, and most sales people who have been around for more than a year know when something isn't worth their time. Sure, you'll buy from someone, but not every person is worth our time and you'll end up getting brushed at a few places till you find either a vehicle so perfect you just buy it, or someone who really needs $100 bucks. I don't think you should take their word for it, but you're telling us you used the wrong wording when making your request and then didn't take their suggestion to talk to a sales person. I am not on the forum to sell my trucks specifically, but to help folks get the best Ford trucks they can to do their jobs. What's good for Ford is good for me, and I learn quite a bit from reading other folks posts as well. While if someone contacted me to buy something I'd be happy to sell them something, I don't like selling used vehicles to anyone, one of probably the top three reasons I got into commercial sales (the other two being that I enjoy working with business folks, and there is much higher loyalty rates, so treating folks well gets actual results).

Old 02-02-2016, 04:24 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Fefanatic
I doubt you turn any sales away. I didn't get to see the maintenance history on the screen or printout. I just have to take his word eh?

So you are a dealer? Then you should be able to explain how this truck gets sold but later becomes a manufacturer vehicle.

The Autocheck clearly states no repossessions.

It doesn't really matter now as I walked away from it. There are thousands of others out there to choose from. I won't be seeing any of yours though because I can't face rejection.
Yeah, you roll up into the dealership with that sort of attitude, and you're surprised when they're immediately hostile with you...

Old 02-02-2016, 12:44 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm not sure about Ford, but the dealer I worked at, Manufacturer vehicles were those used at auto shows, given to the press, used to train mechanics on new tech and other things I would never want done with my vehicle. The vehicles had to be titled and plated to be on the road which was done through a separate business entity. When they were done being used, they were transferred back to the manufacturer & sold at auction. It is common for a vehicle to change hands several times before it is offered for sale. When I see Manufacturer on the title I walk.

Quick Reply: What does manufacturer vehicle mean on a Autocheck report?