excursion 3rd brake light - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion SPONSORED BY:

excursion 3rd brake light

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2016, 02:55 PM
Junior User

Demboyz1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
excursion 3rd brake light

Has anyone changed their 3rd brake light to an led? Im doing the led swap on all the exterior lighting but i cant seem to find a red 3rd brake light. Has anyone tried using the f250 3rd brake light? Is it a direct swap?
Old 01-31-2016, 04:43 PM
Thread Killer

mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demboyz1 View Post
Has anyone changed their 3rd brake light to an led? Im doing the led swap on all the exterior lighting but i cant seem to find a red 3rd brake light. Has anyone tried using the f250 3rd brake light? Is it a direct swap?
It is NOT a direct swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
I have a very slight vibration.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:50 PM
Junior User

Thanks @mecdac
Old 01-31-2016, 05:35 PM
Posting Guru

pirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud ofpirate4x4_camo has much to be proud of
Been awhile since I replaced mine but if I recall it is a 921 bulb, I am sure there is an endless assortment of LED replacements for 921 bulbs on line.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:39 PM
Thread Killer

mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
Elite Series Retrofit Bulb

Quote:
Old 01-31-2016, 08:38 PM
Leadfoot

Krazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputation
Krazee Matt
I have this project on the backburner in the garage. Picked up a spare third light housing for $10 off CraigsList. The plan is to use the Dremel and cut out the back wall and interior dividers, then source a 10" LED rigid case bar (as opposed to the flex strips) and mount it to the back wall. Not sure how to affix the wall to the lense, I'm leaning towards some silicone beading but I don't know if that'll hold the back wall in-line where it used to be. I have no idea if there's even a plastic welding place local that'll do a small project, and the lense seems far too brittle for that to work. Plus I don't know to what degree the heat application would cause warping or discoloration.

Main obstacle is making the LED bar plug into an existing socket, I'm not a huge fan of cutting and splicing. Not that it matters, if it goes out I'm not cutting the thing open again anyway...

In the end I forsee myself going to simple LED bulb replacements, despite them having a somewhat localized 'hot spot' where the light source would be. Which is the whole reason I wanted to stick an LED bar in there in the first place.
Stay Puft: 2001 Excursion 7.3 Lmtd 4x4 / 6637 / 38R, hi-flo outlet, delete pedestal, TurboSmart wastegate / 238-80 sticks / Gearheaded / mueckster 4R100 / 4" turbo back, dual 5" tips / RR FRx, HPX, banjo's, CVD's, boot kit / ISSPRO EV2 tri-pillar gauges, SGii / V & 2" drop kit, B-mod, 5100 Bilsteins / 35x12.50R18's on 18x10 Weld Racing Daggers
Old 01-31-2016, 09:24 PM
Junior User

jeremiah77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Look for red 194 led bulbs...that's what I used.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Junior User

Ya i was looking for a strip of leds not really looking just to replace the bulbs
Old 02-01-2016, 04:47 PM
Leadfoot

Krazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputationKrazee Matt has a superb reputation
Krazee Matt
Well I got curious and did a search, not surprised Recon came up. They advertised their third light for the SuperDuty to fit our Excursions, which is doesn't.

However I stumbled across this antiquated thread here on FTE where someone used a Recon from a 97-03 MY F-150 and it fit, just with a small gap all the way around. Tom(WE3ZS), do you remember anything else about this other than what was in the thread?

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

It also appears that IPCW has some offerings, the Recon crap popped up in there as well... http://www.carid.com/2001-ford-excur...-brake-lights/
Stay Puft: 2001 Excursion 7.3 Lmtd 4x4 / 6637 / 38R, hi-flo outlet, delete pedestal, TurboSmart wastegate / 238-80 sticks / Gearheaded / mueckster 4R100 / 4" turbo back, dual 5" tips / RR FRx, HPX, banjo's, CVD's, boot kit / ISSPRO EV2 tri-pillar gauges, SGii / V & 2" drop kit, B-mod, 5100 Bilsteins / 35x12.50R18's on 18x10 Weld Racing Daggers
Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 PM
World Famous Mod

WE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputationWE3ZS has a superb reputation
I have a third brake light assembly from an F-150 and in my opinion the fit is much too mismatched for use on an EX. I don't have a picture of it mocked up on my rig but it had too much of a gap everywhere for my eye. It's a shame too because I really wanted it to work as it's the version with the clear outer spots and red center, I wanted to load the center up with a red strip LED bar/cluster and white LEDs in the clear section to add to the reverse lighting.

Tom 2005 Excursion XLT V-10 4X4, '04 SD 18"s, Modded X/B's, 35" Nittos, 4.88s.
'08 Mirrors, Hellwig, Ultra-Gauge, Banks Headers, 5 Star Tunes, GlowShifts, Ranchos.
ASPEN GREEN (Jolly Green Giant) Grey Cloth Interior, WeatherTech Mats.
'89 SeaRay 220CC 325HP Mercruiser Alpha, Full Camper Canvas, 11' Achilles 8HP Merc.
'14 Jayco Eagle Premier 338RETS TT, Hensley Arrow, Prodigy P3, TST 507RV TPMS, 61'.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:34 PM
Posting Guru

Matt M, PA has a very good reputation on FTE.Matt M, PA has a very good reputation on FTE.Matt M, PA has a very good reputation on FTE.
When my Ex was new, I wanted to switch with an F150 light because it not only had the brake light....but also cargo area lights. I know some say they fit...but I compared them and didn't like the gaps, etc....
Old 02-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Elder User

Vince79vette is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does they 3rd light come apart easy? I wouldnt be hard to put a led strip or 2 in it
Old 02-01-2016, 06:59 PM
Leadfoot

Krazee Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince79vette View Post
Does they 3rd light come apart easy? I wouldnt be hard to put a led strip or 2 in it
Nope, its a molded monstrosity. Post about it a few posts up.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Thread Killer

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt View Post
Well I got curious and did a search...

...It also appears that IPCW has some offerings, the Recon crap popped up in there as well... 2001 Ford Excursion Custom & Factory 3rd Brake Lights ? CARiD.com
They look hideous.

Quote:
Old 02-01-2016, 11:53 PM
Elder User

Peace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to beholdPeace2Peep is a splendid one to behold
I actually contacted Recon directly, they do NOT have a replacement cover for the Excursion third brake light...BUMMER, especially since it would be such an incomplete look to do their brake light covers for the others and not be able to change this.
05 PSD Lim Ex, V's & B's, Bilstein Shocks, Harley H/L, Billet Badges, Red Head, 30mm Sway, FCDP Delete, FCDP Coolant, Stealthbox, DC Power 270 Amp Alt, XS Power D6500 Batts, F650 Dash, Focal Coax, Tracvision a7, Adj Track Bar, R/C Dual Steer Stab, 2008 Diff Cover, Mag Hytech Trans Pan, Gearhead Tunes, Soundstream 10.2" screen, ARP Studs, Isspro Gauges, Kenwood DNN990HD, Silverline 4" Exh, JL Audio Amps, BMF Novakane 22x10.5 Wheels, Toyo O.C. A/T II 325-50-22, Iron Cross Boards, Casserly 155's, PMax w/ Riff Raff Wheel