Sponsored by: Moser

Has anyone drilled their CAC yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:27 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Has anyone drilled their CAC yet?

I ran into a pretty long debate on another forum that discusses this, probably in way more detail than is needed.

It seems that Ford has addressed this on the 15/16 model trucks. I wanted to get your thoughts on this. The video is crazy as hell!

I haven't drilled mine and I've never noticed a stumbling issue at anytime of year. If I did have an issue, would it be obvious to me?

Thoughts, discussion?

Old 01-31-2016, 12:53 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, don't tell me you read the whole thread at F150forum? That's just masochistic.

Originally Posted by tseekins
If I did have an issue, would it be obvious to me?

Yes, I think it would. I had it happen once and the truck ran so poorly I pulled over to the shoulder on the freeway, and then it sorted it self and I drove on. I normally drive mixed city/highway and hammer throttle probably on a daily basis. Problem never occurred for years. Then one day I drove on cruise control for 3.5 hours in weather that was mid-30's and very damp. Boom... there it was. I never did drill the hole, though. I guess one incident in 4 years isn't enough to trip my trigger.

I did install an oil catch can. When I removed my stock intercooler there was no water inside but there was a puddle of oil. Water collection is temporary, it will eventually evaporate and clear out. Oil never goes away and has to be controlled at the source.

Worse yet is the possible loss of catalytic converter. Modern cats run so hot that unburned fuel from a misfire can light up inside the cat and may cause damage that will fail the cat in the future. Is this a good enough reason to drill the CAC? You'll have to decide for yourself. Just keep in mind the hole mod costs $0.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:28 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Oh, don't tell me you read the whole thread at F150forum? That's just masochistic.

Yes, I think it would. I had it happen once and the truck ran so poorly I pulled over to the shoulder on the freeway, and then it sorted it self and I drove on. I normally drive mixed city/highway and hammer throttle probably on a daily basis. Problem never occurred for years. Then one day I drove on cruise control for 3.5 hours in weather that was mid-30's and very damp. Boom... there it was. I never did drill the hole, though. I guess one incident in 4 years isn't enough to trip my trigger.

I did install an oil catch can. When I removed my stock intercooler there was no water inside but there was a puddle of oil. Water collection is temporary, it will eventually evaporate and clear out. Oil never goes away and has to be controlled at the source.

Worse yet is the possible loss of catalytic converter. Modern cats run so hot that unburned fuel from a misfire can light up inside the cat and may cause damage that will fail the cat in the future. Is this a good enough reason to drill the CAC? You'll have to decide for yourself. Just keep in mind the hole mod costs $0.
F150Ecoboost forum. Pretty slow but good info.

Agreed on the hole costing $0 and thanks for the feedback.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:29 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
I would say its a cheap solution to what is a non-issue for most of us.

I question the dumping the of oily water... it would be better to capture and dispose of properly.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:30 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by KJ Smith
I would say its a cheap solution to what is a non-issue for most of us.

I question the dumping the of oily water... it would be better to capture and dispose of properly.
Could you explain please?

Old 01-31-2016, 03:02 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Throw it in with you're used oil and dump at a local collection site (auto parts store).

Old 01-31-2016, 04:14 PM
KJ Smith
Laughing Gas
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
The oil gets introduced back into the system because the Govt. does not want the oil vapors released to the atmosphere.
The idea is to recirculate them back into the engine and burn them off.
They are put back into the airflow prior to the cooler.
It would see to me a bigger issue would be the oil vapors coating the inside of the CAC. That never seems to come up.

If BB doesn't want the oil vapors released. I am fairly certain they would frown on the dumping of oily water.

That video is a little over the top... just sayin.

There is a picture in the "Ecoboost over 100k" thread that I think would be closer to the norm.

BTW, oil in a CAC was an issue with the 7.3 also. Never heard of any failures because of it.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:52 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Drilled mine at 38,000 miles and I'm glad I did. My truck spit fluid for 7-10 days consistently. I can tell a bit of a difference near WOT as the truck now just pulls whereas previously it would feel like it was strangling itself or holding back a bit. I'm sure that even a bit of excess vapor would lead to this.
My truck was at the dealer two weeks later for an inspection and they made no mention of it.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:29 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Drilled mine at 38,000 miles and I'm glad I did. My truck spit fluid for 7-10 days consistently. I can tell a bit of a difference near WOT as the truck now just pulls whereas previously it would feel like it was strangling itself or holding back a bit. I'm sure that even a bit of excess vapor would lead to this.
My truck was at the dealer two weeks later for an inspection and they made no mention of it.
Did you drill the 1/16th" hole on the drivers side?

Old 02-01-2016, 06:46 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tseekins
Did you drill the 1/16th" hole on the drivers side?
Yes sir. 1/16" on the lowest spot on the front side of the driver's side. Drill the front side because the CAC is leaning forward just a bit. It helps if you unbolt the air dam to aide the drill's positioning. Let the drill do the work. Grease the crap out of the bit so it'll catch the pieces. The wall of the CAC is not very thick.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:56 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Tom brought up a good point about the drilled hole being a source of unfiltered air entering the system under no boost and vacuum conditions.

Perhaps there is a work around for that, bit with that in mind, I don't think id drill the hole unless I had a consistent problem.

I wonder if a pet-**** type drain would be better?

Or better yet, an electric valve that closes in use but opens to let it drain all night?

Old 02-01-2016, 09:04 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I'd be hesitant to drill a hole in the CAC, it's supposed to be a sealed system. A 1/16" hole isn't big but it's big enough to let dust in.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:37 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot

Old 02-01-2016, 11:18 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Pleas explain how there is no vacuum in the cac.

Does the air charge take a different path under vacuum than it does under boost?

Old 02-02-2016, 04:59 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
If a tiny loss of boost is possible then a tiny amount of vacuum could exist.

Looking at the video that I posted, even at idle the CAC was dripping water. This guy must live in an extremely humid environment for that much moisture to drain.

It's wicked humid here in Va and I haven't had any issues to date. I'm simply exploring a preventative measure. I'm sure that if Ford did something like this, they would add yet another electric valve that would cycle regularly and be subject to failure.

Why couldn't a fella drill the hole and thread a screw with the intent of opening the hole every oil change, or monthly or some other reasonable time frame?

Quick Reply: Has anyone drilled their CAC yet?