1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F250 reliability / problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:16 PM
dlauffenburger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New F250 reliability / problems ?

This post will probably draw some heated comments from thedie-hard Superduty crowd but I am hoping to get some realistic responses.

My last 4 trucks have been F150’s and I have had little tono problems with any of them that Ford did not fix under warranty, but my needshave changed and I had made up my mind to purchase a F250 CC 6.2L with 4.3 rearend. If it wasn’t for the hassle offinding a 4.30 rear end I would probably already have a new truck (that’s awhole story in itself).A couple ofweeks ago my brother bought a new Ford Flex and while he was waiting for thepaperwork to be signed he ran into the Service Manager in the smoking area andexplained what I was looking for and the issues I was having finding the truck Iwanted.The service manager lookedaround to see who was within ear shot and then quietly told my brother to tell meto stay away from the newer 6.2L gas trucks, they have been seeing more andmore of them in for major repairs.Hethen asked if I had looked at the new GMC 2500 HD, and walked away.

After my brother relayed the conversation to me, my firstthought was that he must have been a disgruntled employee because I had not noticedany large number of complaints on the couple of forums that I have been lurkingon. Well maybe it is just coincidence orI am more conscious of it, but since then I have noticed several posts aboutnewer Ford trucks with major issues and lack of support from Ford. Not all ofthe issues are 6.2L specific but are SD issues.

So my questions are:
- Has anyone noticedan increase in major repair issues with the MY 15/16 trucks now that they aregetting some miles on them?
- What changed havewere made to the 15/16 trucks that would start showing up with time/mileage?
- Has anyone noticeda decrease in Fords willingness to support their trucks after the sale?
- Has anyone lookedat the GMC 2500 HD trucks and compared them to the F250?If so what are your thoughts?
- What are the Achillesheels of the 2500 HD trucks?
- What websites wouldbe valuable to evaluate the 250 vs 2500 reliability and maintenance issues?

Sorry the post is so long but I am just trying to completemy due diligence before spending $55K on a new truck.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:34 PM
chickfisher69
Junior User
I'm also curious about the complaints. I'm going to be taking delivery of a new 250 in a couple of weeks. Sound like BS from the service manager.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:38 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
The SD 6.2 is the single most reliable/trouble free 3/4+ ton truck on the market today. GMC is still a car with a bed on it, and for some, that is what they want. In my area, logging/farm/power/construction/fleet companies have almost entirely all Ford trucks for a reason.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:50 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
40,000 miles and only oil changes.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:25 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dlauffenburger
This post will probably draw some heated comments from thedie-hard Superduty crowd but I am hoping to get some realistic responses.

My last 4 trucks have been F150’s and I have had little tono problems with any of them that Ford did not fix under warranty, but my needshave changed and I had made up my mind to purchase a F250 CC 6.2L with 4.3 rearend. If it wasn’t for the hassle offinding a 4.30 rear end I would probably already have a new truck (that’s awhole story in itself).A couple ofweeks ago my brother bought a new Ford Flex and while he was waiting for thepaperwork to be signed he ran into the Service Manager in the smoking area andexplained what I was looking for and the issues I was having finding the truck Iwanted.The service manager lookedaround to see who was within ear shot and then quietly told my brother to tell meto stay away from the newer 6.2L gas trucks, they have been seeing more andmore of them in for major repairs.Hethen asked if I had looked at the new GMC 2500 HD, and walked away.

After my brother relayed the conversation to me, my firstthought was that he must have been a disgruntled employee because I had not noticedany large number of complaints on the couple of forums that I have been lurkingon. Well maybe it is just coincidence orI am more conscious of it, but since then I have noticed several posts aboutnewer Ford trucks with major issues and lack of support from Ford. Not all ofthe issues are 6.2L specific but are SD issues.

So my questions are:
- Has anyone noticedan increase in major repair issues with the MY 15/16 trucks now that they aregetting some miles on them?
- What changed havewere made to the 15/16 trucks that would start showing up with time/mileage?
- Has anyone noticeda decrease in Fords willingness to support their trucks after the sale?
- Has anyone lookedat the GMC 2500 HD trucks and compared them to the F250?If so what are your thoughts?
- What are the Achillesheels of the 2500 HD trucks?
- What websites wouldbe valuable to evaluate the 250 vs 2500 reliability and maintenance issues?

Sorry the post is so long but I am just trying to completemy due diligence before spending $55K on a new truck.

Thanks.
What's up with removing the space between the third and fourth words of your sentences? Back to the subject, I only have 8200 miles on my 15 but it is the most solid SD I have had. The only complaint I have with it is needing to turn off advancetrack every time I start it, otherwise, this will be my last truck for the next 20 years.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:38 PM
dlauffenburger
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hoss416
What's up with removing the space between the third and fourth words of your sentences? Back to the subject, I only have 8200 miles on my 15 but it is the most solid SD I have had. The only complaint I have with it is needing to turn off advancetrack every time I start it, otherwise, this will be my last truck for the next 20 years.
Hoss,

No idea about the spacing, I cut and pasted the text from MS Word and it looked fine there.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:45 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Hoss, why do you have to turn off advance track?

Old 01-30-2016, 06:49 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by msgtord
Hoss, why do you have to turn off advance track?
I don't have to, but I like the way the truck responds from take off with it off. It seems like the advancetrac makes the truck lunge a bit from a stop and with it off it feels like a smoother acceleration, but that could be all in my head too. In bad weather I leave it on though.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:55 PM
Mtncrash1
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I traded a 2014 Silverado 6.0 for my current F250. I put 15k miles in 7 months with out any issues. By the way welcome to the site from an ex Youngsville resident.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:17 PM
51 ashton
New User
I had a 14 GMC Sierra that was terrible and traded it for a 15 superduty. 11000 miles, 1 blizzard and no issues here. This f250 is my first Ford. Ive had all the big three trucks in 3/4 ton. I had no issues with any of them.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:50 PM
MadWolf
Tuned
Originally Posted by Hoss416
I don't have to, but I like the way the truck responds from take off with it off. It seems like the advancetrac makes the truck lunge a bit from a stop and with it off it feels like a smoother acceleration, but that could be all in my head too. In bad weather I leave it on though.
It's not in your head, I do the same thing.

And about the Ford to GMC comparison.. There is none really. If You're worried about Ford screwing up an engine, Then You should REALLY worry about GMC/Chevy doing much worse. Did you see all that terrible PR they got because of those recalls?? Their sales are actually up this year, but Ford's been on a break away for the past 30.

The Ford F-series wins the sales trophy every year, often by a margin. With about 40% of the pickup market in the US overall. The rest of the pie is divided between all the other brands. The F-150 is the most sold VEHICLE(not just truck), every year, for over 30 years, in the US. It's economically unfair at this point, but the success of being on top for so long, plain and simply produces a better vehicle than the competition. That's why Ford is likely to stay on top forever too. That success money goes into everything.. infrastructure, material quality, engineering, design. They can hire and poach the industries best people, and land the best contracts too.

Even if some inflated critic jumps into a GMC and sais it's great for that months issue, It's still not a Ford.. The same way you can't turn a Hyundai into a Toyota, even if it wins a few awards once in a while..

Word of mouth from your local mechanic, or from a service manager, was your best bet back in the day, but now, you can just go online, and learn more than they know in a few minutes of reading.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:42 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
research.. lots of information available... even one of the designers of the 6.2L has posted some of the types of testing.. on the 6.2L....

same with the transmission.....

the 6.2L was designed and tested as a TRUCK engine not a car engine installed into a truck...

Sounds Like a SALESMAN was trying to Sell something HE can not find a buyer for..

FYI,,, my 2012.. 6.2L have 140,000 miles and was/is a WORK truck.. always loaded and working... trouble free (knock on wood)

Old 01-31-2016, 05:53 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,490 Likes on 1,301 Posts
My 2012 has 90k on it and other than normal PMs it's been going great couldn't ask for a better truck.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:34 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That service manager is lying to you. He should have said...This is one of the best motors out there. Only have 16k on mine and no problems at all. No complaints here!

Old 01-31-2016, 08:23 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
30k on my 2012 and the only issue that was related to the motor isn't really an issue, sometimes during cold weather starts the cold air will whine as it goes through the intake until the engine warms up. Other than that I'm in the process of getting the ignition switch replaced do to a short and had the rubber dust cover on the back of the front pinion greased because it developed a squeak.

I think you service manager is full of it, go down to the 6.2 sub forum and there are very few problems talked about, a lot different than the sub forums for the other engines.

Quick Reply: New F250 reliability / problems ?