1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F250 reliability / problems ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 10:12 AM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
4.30s will likely be special order, not a common sight on the lot. I hate the traction control system. A starting to be common issue is the harness losing connection by the parking brake. Being a truck guy rather than brand loyal I'd still buy a Ford over the others.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:19 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 939 Likes on 578 Posts
Seems odd that a service manager would steer you away from the brand. Disgruntled employee or perhaps on his way out the door to another job at another brand dealer?

Old 01-31-2016, 10:34 AM
chickfisher69
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Poncho450
Seems odd that a service manager would steer you away from the brand. Disgruntled employee or perhaps on his way out the door to another job at another brand dealer?
Thats what I thought also. After many hours of research I felt that this time it was going to be my first new ford.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:34 AM
projected
New User
Originally Posted by projectnitemare
4.30s will likely be special order, not a common sight on the lot. I hate the traction control system. A starting to be common issue is the harness losing connection by the parking brake. Being a truck guy rather than brand loyal I'd still buy a Ford over the others.
It appears Ford has addressed this issue, see post #74

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-start-5.html

It also appears current owners can relocate the PCM to a similar location as the 2016's.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:51 PM
mjmck
Senior User
My old man has a 100K 2012 6.2L, only issue so far is a rotted trans dipstick tube.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:36 PM
dlauffenburger
Senior User
Thank You.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the inputs. I have done a lot of reading on the 250 with 6.2L and was convinced it was what I wanted but just wanted to get your inputs after the service managers warnings/comments.

Thanks again.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:29 PM
Truckpro
New User
Seriously...

The Ford has a reliable engine and so does the GM Truck. Say what you want, but the Silverado is a very highly rated and awarded truck. The Ford has more sales because it is priced cheaper. Call any dealership and do your price quotes, but I am now a sales manager with one of the largest automotive groups in the US and have sold both trucks. You can even go on youtube and see comparisons that GM paid for but is done by a third party group. The GM does win in numerous ways. I will say the newer trucks Fod is producing are leaps and bounds better then they used to. They are also the most evolved out of all 3 major truck brands. For those teading that saying there are 5 truck brands, I reiterate MAJOR truck brands. Toyota and Nissan don’t compete nor can they.

Honestly, you can not go wrong with either of the choices. Any will run forever as long as you take care of them...including Hyundai. Besides, a majority of the parts in the vehicles today are shared between companies.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:56 AM
texinwa
Senior User
I can't get rid of a 6.2 engine that I bought for a project. Nobody needs one because they don't fail.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:26 AM
Truckpro
New User
That statement didn’t make any sense to me. Sorry.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:56 AM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Truckpro
The Ford has a reliable engine and so does the GM Truck. Say what you want, but the Silverado is a very highly rated and awarded truck. The Ford has more sales because it is priced cheaper. Call any dealership and do your price quotes, but I am now a sales manager with one of the largest automotive groups in the US and have sold both trucks. You can even go on youtube and see comparisons that GM paid for but is done by a third party group. The GM does win in numerous ways. I will say the newer trucks Fod is producing are leaps and bounds better then they used to. They are also the most evolved out of all 3 major truck brands. For those teading that saying there are 5 truck brands, I reiterate MAJOR truck brands. Toyota and Nissan don’t compete nor can they.

Honestly, you can not go wrong with either of the choices. Any will run forever as long as you take care of them...including Hyundai. Besides, a majority of the parts in the vehicles today are shared between companies.
disagree on you last point. The Fords are the most reliable of the Three big US trucks, but for quality, they are laughably, comically, ridiculously behind Toyota and even Nissan. Basic fact is that the three US trucks have to compete for low-bid government procurement contracts and large fleet buys and are built scraping every last penny of cost out of them.

Toyota and Nissan know they can’t compete for ‘buy America’ clause contracts, So they don’t bother cutting the same corners. You can decry them as not real trucks, but they break less and rust less, period. The Titan may not be a ‘real’ truck to you, but it still comes with a 5.0L Cummins and rigged for a 5th wheel.

dont get me wrong here, i’m a big Ford fan and I know that I need/want the stronger chassis and the solid axle front and I just like the Ford better than the other offerings. But don’t lie to yourself; Ford is far from being the best out there, and their engineers are some of the worst in the business. They do manage a decent job of overcoming their numerous failings with decent operational and styling design mixed with a metric crap load of steel and cast iron

Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Truckpro
New User

Originally Posted by FractureCritical
disagree on you last point. The Fords are the most reliable of the Three big US trucks, but for quality, they are laughably, comically, ridiculously behind Toyota and even Nissan. Basic fact is that the three US trucks have to compete for low-bid government procurement contracts and large fleet buys and are built scraping every last penny of cost out of them.

Toyota and Nissan know they can’t compete for ‘buy America’ clause contracts, So they don’t bother cutting the same corners. You can decry them as not real trucks, but they break less and rust less, period. The Titan may not be a ‘real’ truck to you, but it still comes with a 5.0L Cummins and rigged for a 5th wheel.

dont get me wrong here, i’m a big Ford fan and I know that I need/want the stronger chassis and the solid axle front and I just like the Ford better than the other offerings. But don’t lie to yourself; Ford is far from being the best out there, and their engineers are some of the worst in the business. They do manage a decent job of overcoming their numerous failings with decent operational and styling design mixed with a metric crap load of steel and cast iron

Yea, you’re wrong. Nissan makes up less then 7% of ALL truck sales and Toyota isn’t to far ahead. I am in the industry, I HAVE to study this stuff to be certified. The 5.3 from GM is the longest running 1500 series engine period untouchable. I still stand behind my statement that any of the American trucks will last you a long time. Also..Toyota is the ONLY manufacturer that has to recall EVERY old truck to COMPLETELY REPLACE the rusting out frame. You need to learn your stuff. Don’t forget Toyota is one of the most recalled vehicles on the market.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:43 AM
cjssr
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I worked in the service end of dealerships for 37 years and A Saleman including the manager trying to sell what he has instead of what you want is definitely not surprising!!

Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Truckpro
Yea, you’re wrong. Nissan makes up less then 7% of ALL truck sales and Toyota isn’t to far ahead. I am in the industry, I HAVE to study this stuff to be certified. The 5.3 from GM is the longest running 1500 series engine period untouchable. I still stand behind my statement that any of the American trucks will last you a long time. Also..Toyota is the ONLY manufacturer that has to recall EVERY old truck to COMPLETELY REPLACE the rusting out frame. You need to learn your stuff. Don’t forget Toyota is one of the most recalled vehicles on the market.
again, see above for discussion on fleet sales when comparing percentage ownership of the market, which is based HEAVILY on lowest price. I could also argue that Ford/Chevy/Ram need to slap a LOT of cash on the hood to move units where Toyota does not. Buy hey, you're in the industry, you already know that.

Yes, toyota frames rot. but they replace them. yes they recall a lot, but it's because they fix them. other makers have been less charitable. And you don't need to compare Ford to Toyota to me. I have a 2002 Tacoma with 180k miles on it and it's parked right next to my 2001 F250 with 38k miles on it. (btw, that Ford needed a new frame, too) ANYTIME you want to play compare/contrast on the two trucks, you just come by and we'll chat.

We can talk all about rotten exhaust manifold bolts, and blown 3v phasers and disappearing body mounts and broken spark plugs and rotting truck bed rails and leaking oil pans and frame rust and leaking cabs with missing rockers and rotted out brake lines and blown transmissions and plastic locking hubs and seven bolt wheels (really?!?) and blown turbo down pipes and 6.0L diesels that you can't pay people to buy on the used market.

or we can talk about how the frame on my Tacoma rotted out and Toyota replaced it for free. Oh, the spare tire hoist was recalled and they did that for free, too. Now, I do have a lot issues with how they went about replacing it, and I still have a lot of residual anger over how they handled that ordeal, but at least they did something about it.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:34 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
I have always known of the Ford - Chevy - Dodge comparison of who's bigger and badder and sort of enjoyed the Ford wannabes comments. But now we're throwing in Toyota and Datsun, er I mean Nissan, into the mix Sort of like peaches to watermelons.

So to get back on track, my '15 just passed 75K with 10k+towing my 5er and only diesel and oil so far.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Truckpro
New User
Originally Posted by FractureCritical
again, see above for discussion on fleet sales when comparing percentage ownership of the market, which is based HEAVILY on lowest price. I could also argue that Ford/Chevy/Ram need to slap a LOT of cash on the hood to move units where Toyota does not. Buy hey, you're in the industry, you already know that.

Yes, toyota frames rot. but they replace them. yes they recall a lot, but it's because they fix them. other makers have been less charitable. And you don't need to compare Ford to Toyota to me. I have a 2002 Tacoma with 180k miles on it and it's parked right next to my 2001 F250 with 38k miles on it. (btw, that Ford needed a new frame, too) ANYTIME you want to play compare/contrast on the two trucks, you just come by and we'll chat.

We can talk all about rotten exhaust manifold bolts, and blown 3v phasers and disappearing body mounts and broken spark plugs and rotting truck bed rails and leaking oil pans and frame rust and leaking cabs with missing rockers and rotted out brake lines and blown transmissions and plastic locking hubs and seven bolt wheels (really?!?) and blown turbo down pipes and 6.0L diesels that you can't pay people to buy on the used market.

or we can talk about how the frame on my Tacoma rotted out and Toyota replaced it for free. Oh, the spare tire hoist was recalled and they did that for free, too. Now, I do have a lot issues with how they went about replacing it, and I still have a lot of residual anger over how they handled that ordeal, but at least they did something about it.
i have a Toyota T-100. 112K. Also have 3 Chevys with 362K, 329K and 264K. K and N intakes has a chevy with over 1,000,000. If you want to talk about Toyota, you are in the wrong forum. You can take that hunk of tin elsewhere. Also, my numbers excluded fleet.

Quick Reply: New F250 reliability / problems ?