Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Newly installed remanufactured trans won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 12:18 PM
chainds
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newly installed remanufactured trans won't engage

I just installed a Ford remanufactured 4R100 transmission in my 99 PSD. It simply won't engage in any gear. I can change gears on the shifter and nothing happens, just a change in idle as expected. Let me list the things that I have thought of and have verified.

1. It has fluid. It came from Ford with fluid and I have checked the level. I added a quart more to compensate for the new cooler and cooler line flush.
2. I checked the fluid pressure at idle and it is at 65 psi, which makes me think the pump is functional and everything with torque converter is installed correctly.
3. It switches from 2wd to 4wd (I can hear the transfer case shift)
4. The transfer case is engaged. It won't turn while in park, but will when in drive.
5. Verified all plugs on the wiring harness where connected.
6. Adjusted and tightened shift linkage
7. The engine starts right up.

It think I should be getting something at the output shaft. Does anyone have any diagnostic suggestions or any suggestions that might be preventing this transmission from providing power to the wheels? Anything would be appreciated.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:29 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you checked for codes?
Is the overdrive light flashing?

Old 01-30-2016, 08:40 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
If you have a gauge that shows it has pressure at the test port and it won't move it was either assembled incorrectly, or they used broken parts to build it. Sorry, but I think it has to come out and go back.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:10 AM
chainds
New User
While I have rebuilt engines and have replaced both manual and automatic transmissions in the past, I tend to jump to the conclusion that I must have done something wrong. Damage to the pump seems to be the most likely assembly error, but the pressure at the test port would rule that out. I replaced the cooler and flushed the lines, so contamination seems unlikely. With everything bolted on and connectors being connected, I think there should be some power at the output shaft. With the drive shafts removed, the only think I see is a slowly rotating transfer case output shaft that can be easily stopped by hand.

I called the Ford Powertrain Assistance Center, but the call volume is high and I am waiting for a return call. I did talk to the local Ford dealer, but after describing what I am seeing all that could be heard was crickets.

Mark, even though the probability of a DOA assembly is low, I think you are correct. It needs to come out and returned. I hope the Ford Powertrain Assistance Center has some magic bullet, but I am not holding my breath. Thanks for reading my thread and for all the assistance on this and other forums.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:00 AM
chainds
New User
I just wanted to close the loop with the forum on the current status on my issue.

I worked through Ford's Power Train Assistance Center call center. They were difficult to actually talk with because the call volume was high and eventually the system would kick you off by allowing you to leave a message. I did this for three days and never got a return call. The key for me was to call them very early in the morning.

My initial contact asked me to verify that there were no DTC codes being thrown, which there were not. I was seeing a fault on the shift solenoid A (SSAF) and on the shift solenoid B (SSBF) after a couple of seconds into the scan log. The inputs to the shift solenoids looked normal on the log. Presumably, this means they were failing the self test. Ford never asked me about the DTC scan or any other error on my followup call.

My initial contact also asked me to verify the pump operation my observing the drop in fluid level when the engine was started. I tried to explain that I had pressure measurements to prove that pump was working, but they were not interested in talking about that. Sure enough, the fluid level changes with the engine running vs. not running. As soon as the tech on the followup call learned the pump is working, he decided to send out a replacement transmission. I am now waiting to get an ETA.

With respect to the shift solenoid faults, and I am totally guessing, it doesn't matter whether they are functioning or not, there should be gear engagement. Can anyone verify this guess? If there is anything to add to this thread after I install the new unit, I will add it.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:41 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for reporting back, and please do update us with what you eventually find out. In the future, I know this is going to sound funny, but bear with me. If you want faster service from Ford, or many other big name companies, you may want to consider complaining on Twitter. My brother has done it in the past with Ford regarding both his F150 and his Focus. He had issues with the dealership being less than stellar with their service and being down right rude with him regarding a loaner vehicle on a 3rd trip in to the dealer for the same issue on his focus. He complained on twitter, and within 20-30 minutes was contacted by someone in Ford customer care, with direct phone numbers. The issue then was handled very quickly.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:48 AM
chainds
New User
I installed the replacement for the bad unit and everything seems to be working fine. The second unit was missing most of the pan bolts which is really perplexing, but ford replaced them and I had them open a case with a case number so that it was documented if there are problems in the future.

I am thinking that the probability of a remanufactured transmission that is DOA is very small, but that is what happened. It is nice to have my truck on the road again...

Old 02-19-2016, 11:23 AM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

I say congrats on handling yourself very well in such a difficult and disappointing situation...not to mention finally having resolve and posting up results