1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe to drive without lock hubs?

Old 01-29-2016, 08:44 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Safe to drive without lock hubs?

So after eight years my Warn premium hubs have taken a crap and developed major play internally. After speaking to Warn warrenty department and sending videos they will replace them according to the lifetime limited warranty. Problem is they sill not send out new ones until they receive the old ones, so I was told from time i remove mine and send them back and get the new ones it will be two weeks maybe a few days more, there is no snow in the extended forcast and im wondering what damage could occur with me funning the truck everday to work etc with the stub shafts just hanging there?

Old 01-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Rongold
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HUBS

NO, You can't drive around with nothing in that hole. You will get dirt, sand, salt, and a lot of other crap in there.

SOLUTION: Ask them if you can pay for the new ones with one of your credit cards, and then when you receive them, you swap them out. You then send them your old ones, and they credit your credit card account. That's the way everyone else does it.

RON

Old 01-30-2016, 08:37 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
I have closed cell foam that i cut out in a circle that fits snugly into the hub opening, then i plan on using 2" wide electrical tape to hold it in?

Old 01-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Personally, I think that is a *really* bad idea. It's just asking for a full front end tear down and rebuild in your very near future. Just my opinion, but "Murphy" lives at my place, so no way I'd be able to get away with it.

Good luck with it anyway.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:56 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
How could it hurt? My tcase will be in 2wd so the axle shafts wont be spinning and i have brand new ujoints, axle seals, and brAnd new needle bearings holding the stub shaft level

Old 01-30-2016, 04:00 PM
Tom A
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The stub shaft won't turn when you drive, so the closed cell foam will grind itself to little pieces if it's touching the end of the stub shaft. Not to mention, there's nothing to keep the stub shaft from flopping around in there without the hub to keep it centered.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:58 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are they shipping from? I live in Vanc. WA and I know they have a plant here and a couple in Clackamas (about 15 min. south of Portland, Or). I might be able to help you out if they can do a will call.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:32 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Im in south jersey, turn around is me shipping them tomorrow after work so around 4pm Monday, then x amount of days to get to Warn. Then they must go over the hubs before they send me new ones or tell me i did something to wear them out. In either case a few more days and then shipping to get me new ones or worse case my old worn out ones back. So two weeks easy is what im looking at

Old 01-31-2016, 02:33 PM
davester250
Elder User
Yes, nothing about that process is about encouraging you to just buy the replacement parts instead of being warranty-replaced.

Old 01-31-2016, 02:45 PM
nojoke327
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just run out to the local junk yard and see if they have any hubs you could grab for cheap. Swap the out and send back the old ones

Old 01-31-2016, 07:34 PM
Tom A
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, I exploded a set of Milemarker hubs on another truck, and Milemarker sent me the replacement set, just on my promise to return the broken ones as soon as I got them (which I did). Warn undoubtedly makes a better product, but I was certainly impressed with Milemarker's customer service.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:58 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Looking at this; https://www.warn.com/corporate/assets/pdf/hubwarr.pdf. I would assume they are implying that you somehow misused the hubs. Probably a CYA thing for the CS agent you talked to. Try calling them and asking for a CS Manager. If you are still riding on the mods in your Sig, I wouldn't think they should have an issue. I would be more than willing to hit up the Clackamas center to help you out. PM me if you need any help.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:26 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
I spoke to John who is i suppose the boss in customer service, i sent him the video and first thing he said was they look bone dry? I said its cuz i removed them and parts washed them so u could see/hear the amount of slop they have. He then proceeded to explain they will not warranty the hubs till they look over the ones i send them THEN they will either replace under warranty or tell me im ducked and have to buy new ones

Old 01-31-2016, 08:28 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Nojoke im calling around tomorrow at salvage yards and i know a guy at the local ford dealer and see if he has broken hubs laying around. I also emailed John at Warn tonight and asked about me buying a new set sending mine back and then getting reimbursement when the warranty the old worn out hubs

Old 01-31-2016, 08:34 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
I had MM hubs first and they did nothing but jiggle on the hub and when i would regrease them once a year the internals were getting rusty some how? So after two years i had enough sold them and installed the Warns. Ive had four strictly off road mud trucks since i git my liciense and all had warn premiums or I installed a set. Now i BEAT THE HECK out of my play trucks! Im not gently, i hit holes wide open, i rip them through atv paths, over hills that high center the rigs and only speed gets the trucks to slid over them. I even weld the front diffs so i have a cheap spool and not once have i had a warn hub break. BUT on my daily driver the Warns just wore out...go figure

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Safe to drive without lock hubs?