Sponsored by: DP Tuner

E99 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
E99 upgrades

I have been slowly fixing different things of the truck. I think I have most of the leaks fixed and now looking to give the truck a little more power. I already rebuilt the turbo and added a wicked wheel 2, replaced all the boots. I ordered some gauges and thinking injectors, t500 hpop and fuel regulated return? In what order do you think I should do these things?

Old 01-29-2016, 05:01 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have already ordered them: gauges, T-500, regulated return, and I'll add one, the Hutch Mod definitely and then maybe the Harpoon Mod while the tank is dropped doing the Hutch.

Do the Hutch before you purchase injectors.

I you have not already ordered them, why do you think you need the T500 and injectors?

Old 01-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
I'm going to order exhaust and intake tonight. I don't think my injectors are real bad but I wanted to maybe step up to stage 2? I figured the hpop on a e99 is weak to begin with.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:43 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Stage 2, what do you mean by that, different builders mean different things when they say that.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
Yeah working on that. You have any suggestions?

Old 01-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single shots, a tuner, and a T500 will wake up an e99.
I still run the stock turbo (other than a later style wheel)

I Installed a tuner first and the stock hpop couldn't keep up with tuning demands would max out at 1500psi.
The T500 pushed 2500+ Psi in the same tune. The AC injectors were the frosting on the cake.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:11 PM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
Should I get the mbrp with a muffler or not? I don't want a super loud exhaust.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:45 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Chris Karsseboom
I figured the hpop on a e99 is weak to begin with.
Not necessarily accurate. If you wait until you can monitor ICP, IPRDC%, and FIPW, you will have a very good idea of how healthy that "supposedly" inferior 15* HPOP truely is. I have my original 15* e99 HPOP in my basement and it is healthy. However, due to tuning, it appeared to be falling flat on its face. It is now my go to spare HPOP for when/if my T500 dies and it has been installed in two other trucks while awaiting HPOP rebuilds. It will hold 2750PSI ICP all day long as long as FIPW is kept in check. So, I wasted $500 on the T500 due to bad tunes.

Yeah working on that. You have any suggestions?
If you want new or remans, P.I.S. is hard to beat.

Originally Posted by Franko72

I Installed a tuner first and the stock hpop couldn't keep up with tuning demands would max out at 1500psi.
The T500 pushed 2500+ Psi in the same tune. The AC injectors were the frosting on the cake.
There is simply more to the equation so I am not disagreeing with you at all; however, the same exact tune that made my OEM e99 15* HPOP look like it was dying, created spikes of upwards of 3600 PSI when letting off the throttle, the EGT's hot and created tons of smoke, caused the T500 to barely achieve 2600 PSI and it spiked to over 4000 PSI. Yep, the exact same tunes. I then changed tuners and now that T500 maintains 3000 PSI like a champ without the nasty spikes. It is all about timing considerations contained in FIPW, ICP, and engine RPM's.

Here is a tread that is valid today that addresses the issue:

The relation between Injection Pulsewidth and Loss of ICP - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Old 01-30-2016, 12:37 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Franko72
I still run the stock turbo (other than a later style wheel)

Still love your epic sig pic, says "open road" to me.

For the OP muffler question, there are options. Walker BTM as I am running, good flow, cheap, and not loud, but sounds like a farm implement. Other $$ options commonly recommended are Aero Turbine and FTE resonator.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:15 PM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
Ok so got the driven hutch mod kit installed along with the s&b intake and I got my 4in exhaust waiting to be installed. Now need to get the regulated return and maybe injectors.

My truck dosent sound very good. I drove with my buddy in his 7.3 and it sounds way smoother then mine. I made a short clip of what the engine sounds like and would appreciate if you could help me quiet down this truck.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:23 AM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
Does this sound like normal cackle or is this and injector job in the making?

Old 02-08-2016, 10:44 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
How many miles, at work we have a 400k+ 7.3 and sounds exactly the same as yours, this truck has lots of fumes from the crank case but no pressure, injectors are dealer refurbish, I think its that #8 special injector doing the cackle.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
How many miles, at work we have a 400k+ 7.3 and sounds exactly the same as yours, this truck has lots of fumes from the crank case but no pressure, injectors are dealer refurbish, I think its that #8 special injector doing the cackle.
Its got 250k. well see how the frx mod does this week when I get around to installing it.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:09 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Ok so got the driven hutch mod kit installed along with the s&b intake and I got my 4in exhaust waiting to be installed. Now need to get the regulated return and maybe injectors.
My truck dosent sound very good. I drove with my buddy in his 7.3 and it sounds way smoother then mine. I made a short clip of what the engine sounds like and would appreciate if you could help me quiet down this truck.
February 7, 2016 - YouTube
Does this sound like normal cackle or is this and injector job in the making?
When you installed the Hutch Mod, was the factory quick disconnect line deleted between the fuel tank and fuel pump?

If not, then that is most likely the problem. If yes, did you use the supplied worm clamps?

If they are still supplying worm gear clamps and you then used them, then that is more than likely the problem due to the fact that they don't apply enough pressure to seal very well.

High pressure fuel injection clamps are the way to go. Place two on the fuel tank side of the quick disconnect hump and one on the fuel pump side of the metal tube.

It may be too early to decide if it is injectors or not. I would get the remaining mods done prior to installing new injectors.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:16 PM
Chris Karsseboom
Senior User
Got the FRX fuel pressure reg done and it did make things quieter. Then installed the 4in exhaust and things got loud again..lol

So now I have all these other humming sounds coming from the transmission area? I have checked the wheel bearings and there didn't seem like much play in the wheel. I spun the front wheel and i didn't hear anything making noise? It seems like the humming noise is only there while in gear and not in neutral? My truck is the 6 speed

Quick Reply: E99 upgrades