1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F250 SD front end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:50 PM
tripletap3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 SD front end clunk

If this has been covered please forgive me. I did look and I cant search because I get a "503" error. I have a loud clunk coming up though the cab floor when ever I hit the smallest bump. It sounds like the front end is falling out. F250 SD 7.3 4wd 220K.No lift. This same type of noise happened about 2 months ago and I fixed it by replacing the sway bar links to the frame. After the fix and a set of new shocks and steering stabilizer the truck rode like a new one until about 2 weeks ago when this slowly started. Here what I know.
At 190K I replaced the left hub , ball joints, all seals, serviced both differentials. Currently the left hub has no play but rotates very easy.
At 205k I did the same for the right although During annual state inspection last Dec.the shop found the right bearing was bad again. I was out of town so I had them replace it. They saved it for me and it was still shiny new looking and definitely was bad. The shop also said something to my wife about the steering box being loose and they had to tighten it. I don't see anything with wrench marks though and it all looks tight now.
This past December I replaced the sway bar links, steering stabilizer, all shocks and a left front caliper that was sticking. I just checked and everything seems tight with bearing or ball joint looseness. Tie rod ends are not the greatest but not loose. Track bar appears slightly loose but I cant get it to move that much when rocking the steering wheel back and forth. I am suspecting this the most but its not loose enough to make that noise ??? Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated. Chuck.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:19 PM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tripletap3
If this has been covered please forgive me. I did look and I cant search because I get a "503" error. I have a loud clunk coming up though the cab floor when ever I hit the smallest bump. It sounds like the front end is falling out. F250 SD 7.3 4wd 220K.No lift. This same type of noise happened about 2 months ago and I fixed it by replacing the sway bar links to the frame. After the fix and a set of new shocks and steering stabilizer the truck rode like a new one until about 2 weeks ago when this slowly started. Here what I know.
At 190K I replaced the left hub , ball joints, all seals, serviced both differentials. Currently the left hub has no play but rotates very easy.
At 205k I did the same for the right although During annual state inspection last Dec.the shop found the right bearing was bad again. I was out of town so I had them replace it. They saved it for me and it was still shiny new looking and definitely was bad. The shop also said something to my wife about the steering box being loose and they had to tighten it. I don't see anything with wrench marks though and it all looks tight now.
This past December I replaced the sway bar links, steering stabilizer, all shocks and a left front caliper that was sticking. I just checked and everything seems tight with bearing or ball joint looseness. Tie rod ends are not the greatest but not loose. Track bar appears slightly loose but I cant get it to move that much when rocking the steering wheel back and forth. I am suspecting this the most but its not loose enough to make that noise ??? Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated. Chuck.
You said the tie rod ends are not the greatest. I would replace them. I'm not sure of the track bar specs. but if it's loose that will cause problems. recheck everything in front end again for any play. I would check the cab to chassis mounts too.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 PM
tripletap3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found it this weekend. The banging was coming from the top of the front shocks. When I replaced the shocks I used the metal spacer that came with the replacement shocks where the OEM didn't use a spacer. This kept the OEM convex washer from compressing the rubber.