1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Installed all new CAC boots and now the truck runs horrible? ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:09 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm thinking an EBPV that isn't happy as well. In addition to what what John mentioned - try to catch the EBP on torque pro when she's acting funny.

For those that have torque pro Does TP do a KEOR test?

Old 02-08-2016, 04:21 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Here's an older post describing those lines, connections, and some of the implications of not having them attached.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...take-tube.html

Rich- TP didn't have a KOER last time I looked

Old 02-08-2016, 04:33 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FiznUKa
Check the 42 pin connector for rubbing on the D/S valve cover. It's possible it is rubbed trough one of the wires and maybe you bumped it enough to short out a wire.
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Any chance you didnt knock out the uvc connector making act like there is no boost present? Check them and report back.
always a good idea, also try wiggling them when the symptoms are occurring to see if that helps.

On a good note, you HPOP looks great - ICP & IPR are right on target. Just need to find the low boost cause.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:34 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Can you take a pic of the MAP sensor and where the hose runs from the MAP sensor to the intake? Are there any tee's or couplers in that air line from the MAP sensor to the intake?

Old 02-08-2016, 04:35 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Received 323 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Can you take a pic of the MAP sensor and where the hose runs from the MAP sensor to the intake? Are there any tee's or couplers in that air line from the MAP sensor to the intake?
Yes I will take a pic when I get home tonight

Old 02-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Looking at the data, the fuel should be rockin', but the air... in a word... sucks. This doesn't look like an EBPV issue or else the EBP value would skyrocket in relation to MAP (I see this on a regular basis). This looks like a wastegate issue, an exhaust leak, or a turbo issue. The turbine spins freely?

Old 02-08-2016, 06:51 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

MAP hose has no tees. Is this line pressurized when I hook up the leak detector? This line had plastic protector on it and I have not started it with soapy water

Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Tugly
Looking at the data, the fuel should be rockin', but the air... in a word... sucks. This doesn't look like an EBPV issue or else the EBP value would skyrocket in relation to MAP (I see this on a regular basis). This looks like a wastegate issue, an exhaust leak, or a turbo issue. The turbine spins freely?
Turbine spins freely with no play

Old 02-08-2016, 07:05 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

Is it safe to just disconnect the MAP air hose on one end and pump some air in it to see if the hose has a leak. Will that through a code?

Old 02-08-2016, 07:22 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tugly
I hear ya Rich, we have two separate issues but both related to boost (maybe) and I guess I need to be clearer on which ones I'm referring to with the EBPV. In his description a few posts up:

"There is something funny going on with the truck, yesterday and today I went to start it when it was cold and it ran really rough didn't sound well tried to drive it just a little bit down my street and it felt like it had absolutely no boost fit and very little pick up. On both days I took it back to my house let it sit for 10 minutes and then restarted it and it ran fine. This is what I felt right after I replaced the cac boots, but it is obviously something else besides the boots because it is doing it intermittently."

Doesn't this description sound like the EBPV being engaged? or perhaps the turbo not producing boost.

Now back to the most recent graph, the boost numbers look about 5 psi too low. Is the FIPW the result from the low boost or is the low boost the result from the FIPW?

What do you think about disconnecting the wastegate (plugging the red line onto one of the turbo clamps) close the opening where the green line enters the intake and disconnecting the EBPV........

Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

I just found a leak on the air hose that goes underneath the MAP sensor, going to try a different clamp

Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by jstihl
Is it safe to just disconnect the MAP air hose on one end and pump some air in it to see if the hose has a leak. Will that through a code?
No it wont throw a code but you want to be careful not to blow high pressurized air towards the MAP sensor.

MAP hose has no tees. Is this line pressurized when I hook up the leak detector? This line had plastic protector on it and I have not started it with soapy water
This hose goes from the air intake to the MAP sensor and is what you are seeing on Torque Pro when data logging the MAP sensor. So, when you pressurize your intake with the boost tester you can actually see the PSI on the MAP sensor with the key on engine off (KOEO). You can remove the hose and test it separate just to rule it out.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:38 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I just found a leak on the air hose that goes underneath the MAP sensor, going to try a different clamp
cool, pull it out and check it by itself...

Old 02-08-2016, 08:10 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master

I didn't check the hose itself yet, but I did put a new clamp on and check for bubbles didn't seem to be any leaks. Took for a test drive and didn't notice much difference. Unfortunately my phone Bluetooth will not sink to obdlink, go figure!

Old 02-08-2016, 08:23 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I would remove the hose and check it for leaks.....she'll come right off.

Quick Reply: Installed all new CAC boots and now the truck runs horrible? ?