6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Fuel Pressure and EGT gauges.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:27 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Fuel Pressure and EGT gauges.

WHat ones seem to be the best buy.
Life and accuracy are the top tow needs on my list.
So please name names and tell the dirt of the junk ones
and and on the good ones tell why they are good.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 01-29-2016, 12:59 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
What about the Edge monitor some use?

@King-bRanch

Old 01-29-2016, 02:38 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I was thinking more a dedicated gauge. That much less candy for some little
window breaker to grab and pawn.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 01-29-2016, 06:18 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I've had nothing but great luck and service from my autometer gauges. Installed in 2006 and still going. Fuel pressure, EGT, boost, and TFT. They are more expensive for a reason: They work great.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:31 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
Isspro fuel pressure and EGT on the Edge CS.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:58 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't buy glowshift, while they do have a good warranty replacement and claim to have since updated their diesel fuel sender, i've still had 4 fail since i put them on 2 years ago. On my 5th, and it's been a good updated one. But they are the cheapest out there. ISSPRO would be my go-to

Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 AM
NotURMailman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently I saw a few threads on FTE that mentioned sending unit failures and noisy gauges with Isspro. Not personal experience, just what I've read.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NotURMailman
Recently I saw a few threads on FTE that mentioned sending unit failures and noisy gauges with Isspro. Not personal experience, just what I've read.
True in the past. But ISSPRO has upgraded their FP sending unit and the failure rate has dropped considerably. I like there programmable EV2 gauges. You can set the red warning light to go off at whatever level you choose. The software is only about $20.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:40 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
Sean, I'm running Glo Shift in 2 vehicles,they have improved them over the last year or so.I can't see spending the money for race grade gauges if your not racing.I had a issue with one of my gauges and they took care of it right away.I can't complain

Old 01-29-2016, 08:49 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I did Isspro EV2s in black face/green ligt/red needle:
ISSPRO R17044 EV2 Series Fuel Pressure Gauge at DieselManor
ISSPRO R17022 EV2 Series Pyrometer Gauge at DieselManor
I had a FP sensor die a couple years ago. Free replacement, no issues since.

I put them in the dash cover to save space (the stupid-high pressure reading was installer error, that was fixed by cutting the hole a little larger):

Old 01-29-2016, 09:56 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Yahiko
WHat ones seem to be the best buy.
Life and accuracy are the top tow needs on my list.
So please name names and tell the dirt of the junk ones
and and on the good ones tell why they are good.
I went through this struggle of deciding since October. When I first bought my 6.0L in August I assumed I would install the same gauges that I have in our 7.3L's . I purchased the standard ISSPRO 3 pillar setup for our F-250 back around 2005 and the EGT gauge lasted about 10 years. The EGT gauge started fluctuating last year then finally stopped, wasn't sure if it was the gauge or the probe. Since the probe was going to be about $50 I just decided to replace the gauge & probe with another ISSPRO since I wanted the new EV2 gauges with the programmable warning light. Plus the software enables you to modify some of the other gauge settings as well. Since I had the old amplifier style it also go rid of some of the clutter under the dash.

Later on I added the ISSPRO fuel pressure and HPOP gauges.

I have had problems with the older style fuel pressure sending unit (brass colored).

A lot of folks had problems with them going out. Sometimes within a year, sometimes a lot longer - kinda a crapshoot when it would happen. ISSPRO sent me a new one without any hassle when mine went out within a year.

Two years ago I added a ISSPRO FP & oil temp gauge to my Excursion. It has been fine. There was one time when my FP gauge was reading too high (80 psi on a 7.3L). I called ISSPRO and went through a few troubleshooting steps and voltage readings with them. Since I had an under the hood mechanical FP gauge that was reasing 65 psi we thought it was the sending unit. They were a bit surprised since they have not had nearly as many complaints/problems with the new sending unit. They sent me another one and I had it within a few days. Plugged it in and still reading high, turns out my fuel filter was getting clogged - I had recently changed it and run a prefilter but I must have picked up some crappy fuel at that almost abandoned gas station on the trip to Denver. The new style sensor was fine. I felt like an idiot to say the least....... Hats off to ISSPRO for still taking care of a customer.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:05 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
The EV2 gauges are nice and match the OEM very nicely IMO. I really like the programable warning light, especially during the winter. Helps me keep from romping on her until the oil temps are up.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:15 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
But as have come to love and learn about the 6.0L - I have decided not to do stand alone type gauges on her. There are more PID's that I would like to monitor while towing. EGT's, FP, FICM this and that, battery voltage, ECT, Oil temp, etc.....

To do this with stand alone/individual gauges was just going to cost too much for me since my budget on this project has already gone way over .

I was looking at a lot of the tablet style monitoring systems & apps. Torque Pro, CTS, Dashboss, Scan Guage, etc.....There were some great write ups on the available options here on FTE. Especially the one Rusty put together.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...eral-info.html

I thought about buying a tablet and using TorquePro or ForScan. But, I would still have to add EGT & FP somehow. This option of buying a tablet and adding two gauges was going to be $500-600 easily. Most OBDII type monitors were lacking the ability to monitor EGT's & FP. Some do have the ability to add on sensors but the cost would easily go over $500 after all was said and done.

I finally chose Dashboss. For $365 you can purchase everything needed for the 6.0L. Including EGT's and FP. This even included everything necessary to relocated the FP sending unit away from the fuel bowl. Pretty much eliminating the sending unit problem from what I have read. You can also purchase it without the FP relocation kit for $335. Plus it has the ability to datalog and read DTC's.

DashBoss PowerStroke COMBO Bundle | Dashboss - Critical Vehicle Health Monitoring

The downside is, if you don't have an iphone or ipad that will be an additional cost. Plus with a stand alone monitor like gauges, you just hop in the truck crank it up and go. No messing with powering things up or turning apps on.

Sorry for the long rant & multiple posts - this tends to happen when you over caffeinate a buffalo .....best of luck deciding, it drove me batty.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:19 AM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If you use a SCT X4, there is a EGT sensor kit for it. Just google JMS EGT kit. The first 1 i got stopped working after a month, but they sent a new amplifier box and it has been working great for the last 8 months I've had it. Cost about $160 IIRC.

I like it because i use my SCT X4 for gauges 100% of the time and didn't have to mess with any wiring, as the JMS kit gets power from the tuner. I bought a glowshift fuel pressure gauge a couple months ago, but keep putting off the install. I'm still not sure how i want to wire and mount it.

On a side note, so long as you keep your tuning reasonable and run a mild tune for towing, you dont have to worry about EGT so much on the 6.0 like you do the 7.3 or any of the cummins engines. I run SRL+ as a daily and the highest EGT i have logged is 1310f after WOT from 20-100mph uphill. On a moderate tow tune with an 11,000lb load, i never broke 1200f on a 6% grade. That was with stock exhaust. Since putting on a 4" turboback 5 or so months ago, i have yet to see over 1200f on SRL+ or over 1100f towing.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:11 AM
dr67
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I've had nothing but great luck and service from my autometer gauges. Installed in 2006 and still going. Fuel pressure, EGT, boost, and TFT. They are more expensive for a reason: They work great.
I have ran Autometer in a Dirt track race car for years. Rolled it, Crashed it, Crashed it, Rolled it, And Crashed it again and never had a Failure even under extreme conditions. Double thumbs up to Autometer.

I am kind of liking this one also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-8...5WivPj&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure and EGT gauges.