1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 F350 Platinum 6.2L and oil Leak

Old 01-28-2016, 07:11 PM
F350FordToy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 F350 Platinum 6.2L and oil Leak

Well, about a month ago, while I was on Christmas vacation visiting family, the head gasket let loose on my 6.0, so I traded a 2006 F350 KR 6.0 for a left over 2015 F350 Platinum setting on the dealers lot near my inlaws, I was not intending on getting a new truck but fell in love with the new truck and gas motor.

A habit I formed a long time ago is to put my vehicles on the lift sometime during the first 500-1000 miles and and every oil change to look underneath for any leaks. Past three trucks never had an oil leak their entire life.

So, I put it on the lift and found the front of the motor and underneath the oil pan misted with oil. Could not tell where it is coming from based on the way it was spread so I decided to change the oil and take it to my local dealer and let them add dye and look. They kept it a week and finally stated they did not see a leak but thought I spilled oil on the motor during the oil change, of course I know I did not, I pestered them until they put dye in and cleaned they area. Then I asked them to put some miles on it to find the leak. Well, about 22 miles later, they say there is no leak. Not much help so far.

I cleaned the motor and drove it for a week and it is now dripping about one drop on my drive over night. From what I can tell, it is either the very front of the oil pan or the seal behind the harmonic balancer that is leaking. It slings oil under the AC unit and PS pump. Oil has been collecting enough to drip from the transmission cooler lines but nothing above the AC and PS units.

Take it in this morning, tech looks under and agrees there is "slight" amount of oil but gives me the "some leakage is normal" statement and bring it back if it gets worst. Starting to get a little frustrated. Feel I may be getting a little bit of runaround due to the fact I did not buy it from them, although I have bought the last four cars and trucks from them and in this case I did not only due to the fact I was out of state and broke down (the other dealer did give me a smoking trade deal considering I had a head leak on the old truck or maybe not not that I have an oil leak now).

Has anybody else experienced a leak like this? What was the cause? And, how do I get the dealer to take this seriously?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:29 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
find a new dealer or call Ford and complain about lack of service. Ford might try to weasel it's way out of warranty claims but they do take things pretty seriously when someone complains about a dealer.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:43 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
No leak is ok..nada nothing..he should be fired. What friggen rock did he crawl out from.
Boy that kinda crap pisses me off.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:05 PM
davester250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like the F1 mechanic last season (or possibly the season before), saw a small puddle on the floor under the car, so he wiped it up, but didn't tell anyone and didn't look so see where the the stuff came from. Engine blows up during race. Afterwards he admits to doing this. Fired on the spot.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:24 PM
auburngrad
Senior User
Have a '15 6.2 also. No leaks on mine. Just about to crawl under to do the 10k oil change. I'll let you know if I find anything.

I second finding a second dealer or calling Ford.

I am going to have to figure something about what I thinks a paint issue when I can wash it and take pictures again. Already took it to the dealer once.

I've had good warranty service and I'm same case as you. Bought it out of town, but because none of my local dealers stocked the Gasser.

I am lucky I have 4 dealers I could swap between. But refuse to use the local. I would say if you've had a good relationship, give them another chance and get Ford service on here involved if you need.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:10 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a 2012.. with 140,000 miles.. NO LEAKS... report it to FORD.. or go to another dealer....

but Get it Fixed... its covered ...or should be... its NEW.

my opinion.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:13 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F350FordToy
...Take it in this morning, tech looks under and agrees there is "slight" amount of oil but gives me the "some leakage is normal" statement and bring it back if it gets worst. Starting to get a little frustrated....
Welcome to the forum, F350FordToy; congrats on the new rig! Let's see what I can do to turn this situation around. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal

Old 01-29-2016, 08:44 AM
mikereidjr
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
47,000 on mine no leaks-

Who in the world would say a little is ok?

Old 01-29-2016, 09:02 AM
airm4n
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't feel bad its dealers fault oil leaks are definitely not normal and it shouldn't matter if you bought from them they are getting paid for warranty work. I'd +1 to finding another dealer personally that rubbed me the wrong way.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:47 PM
F350FordToy
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordService
Welcome to the forum, F350FordToy; congrats on the new rig! Let's see what I can do to turn this situation around. What's the current mileage on your truck?

Crystal
Crystal, thanks for the offer, I stopped by my local dealer this afternoon after seeing more oil under my truck after work. Asked a different service tech to climb under and take a look, he agreed my leak is a problem and set up an appointment for Monday to drop it off (told me nobody available until then to work on it). I will give them a another chance to see if they can make it right before I ask for your involvement. Just hope it does not take them a week to actually look at it this time.

BTW-I just made it 1000 miles today.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:09 PM
F350FordToy
Senior User
Originally Posted by airm4n
Don't feel bad its dealers fault oil leaks are definitely not normal and it shouldn't matter if you bought from them they are getting paid for warranty work. I'd +1 to finding another dealer personally that rubbed me the wrong way.
You are correct that it should not matter but the service department knows my vehicles well as I use them all my maintenance work and bought my last two vehicles from them, so when I rolled in the service department first thing one of the service writers said, if you had bought it from us we do everything we can to roll out the red carpet, I replied I do not need red carpet to stand on, I need warranty work on my truck.

Unfortunately, the next dealer is about 45 minutes away, my local dealer is 5 minutes from where I live.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:13 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It shouldn't matter if you bought the truck from them or not. They are in the business of fixing Ford vehicles, regardless of where if was purchased.

The fact that the service writer even said that would justify a 45 minute drive to the other dealer in my opinion.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:56 PM
F350FordToy
Senior User
Thought I would post a few pictures.

Attached Images   
Old 01-30-2016, 06:14 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thought I would post a few pictures.
The bottom bolt looks like it has been tampered with based on the scoring of the hexhead. I just crawled under my 15 and none of my pan bolts are chewed up. Might be a starting point for you.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:06 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crystal, thanks for the offer, I stopped by my local dealer this afternoon after seeing more oil under my truck after work. Asked a different service tech to climb under and take a look, he agreed my leak is a problem and set up an appointment for Monday to drop it off (told me nobody available until then to work on it). I will give them a another chance to see if they can make it right before I ask for your involvement. Just hope it does not take them a week to actually look at it this time.

BTW-I just made it 1000 miles today.
You're welcome, F350FordToy. I'm glad the dealer will be addressing this today. I'll continue to check in here to see if you need my assistance.

Crystal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 F350 Platinum 6.2L and oil Leak