6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Warranty is out, time for a tuner.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 03:40 PM
saltbranch
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty is out, time for a tuner.....

Any suggestions regarding a tuner? I am not tech/tuner savvy on these new trucks and I have not really kept up with the technology TBH.
Here is what would like to remove or alter:
Governor-turn it off or move it up past 95 mph
Sensors for rims/tires-air pressure
Disable the parking lights coming on when door is opened
be able to dim the dash lights, I am talking about the dash lights when the headlights/running lights are off. I can dim when I have lights on.

I tow 8-12k on a regular basis and travel west Texas open highways a lot. I really have no performance complaints on my 2013 XL,CC,4x4,3.73 truck. Maybe there is room for improvement?
Thank you

Old 01-28-2016, 04:56 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Gas trucks have pretty limited tuning options verses diesels. I don't know of one that adjusts tpms on gas trucks. About any tuner with raise the speed limiter. You don't need a tuner to turn the parking lights off, there is stealth mode you can do to turn them off. I don't remember what you need to do for that but it wasn't a tuner. Same for the dash lights, I don't think a tuner can do that.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:36 PM
fishbones182
Senior User
Get the sctx4 with a 5 star tune. You can adjust the governor and you can adjust the tpms pressure settings but you can not shut it off. The tune will change your shift strategy and greatly increase your throttle response. My truck has been tuned since new 45k on the clock with no known I'll effects. You can also correct the Speedo for larger tires if you ever have the desire to.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by fishbones182
Get the sctx4 with a 5 star tune. You can adjust the governor and you can adjust the tpms pressure settings but you can not shut it off. The tune will change your shift strategy and greatly increase your throttle response. My truck has been tuned since new 45k on the clock with no known I'll effects. You can also correct the Speedo for larger tires if you ever have the desire to.
That's the route I went, you will love it. Mention this forum when you are ordering from them and they offer a small discount. http://5startuning.com/product-categ...r-programmers/

Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Is yours 2011&up? I have the same tuner from them and can't do anything with tire pressure. Myself and many others aren't able to correct the speedo with the tuner either, there's a thread floating around about that. I'll play devils advocate on this but I had nothing but trouble with tuning my truck. Some stuff was nice but some stuff made it worse, so its back to stock.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:46 PM
saltbranch
Senior User
On the TPMS, the rims I put on do not have the sensor in them. So it sounds like I am stuck with having the light on all the time?
Thanks for the info, I never heard of stealth mode. I will be searching that trick.Any other tips please share
Thank you

Old 01-29-2016, 01:30 AM
JoeyCap
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by saltbranch
Thanks for the info, I never heard of stealth mode. I will be searching that trick.Any other tips please share
Thank you
I think it's called "police mode". I saw it when the dealer hooked up their computer to my truck to turn on the LED bulb option. All they have to do is select that option when they have the computer plugged in.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:56 PM
fishbones182
Senior User
Originally Posted by projectnitemare
Is yours 2011&up? I have the same tuner from them and can't do anything with tire pressure. Myself and many others aren't able to correct the speedo with the tuner either, there's a thread floating around about that. I'll play devils advocate on this but I had nothing but trouble with tuning my truck. Some stuff was nice but some stuff made it worse, so its back to stock.
Wow I have had zero issues. Yes mine is a 2012 xlt 4x4 with the 6.2 engine. I have adjusted the tpms pressure settings so my light doesn't come on as I'm only running 50psi in my tires when I switched to a mud tire. I also corrected my Speedo when I got the larger tires and it's dead on the money now. Maybe I just got lucky. Although I wonder if it might be something to do with the sct tuner and not the truck. If you have another truck available might be worth a shot. As the canned tunes will work with the f150 as well.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:31 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thinking about getting a 5 star tuner..Sounds like you are happy with yours. Can you tell me how you ordered yours as far set up.. for towing, etc..

Old 02-01-2016, 01:59 PM
fishbones182
Senior User
I ordered straight from 5 star and run the daily tow tune the most. I also have the economy tune it's very close to stock and can't remember the third tune as I have never run it. I'm very happy with what the daily tow tune has done for me. Email 5 star they are very helpful with any questions and generally respond pretty quick.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:51 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I ordered straight from 5 star and run the daily tow tune the most. I also have the economy tune it's very close to stock and can't remember the third tune as I have never run it. I'm very happy with what the daily tow tune has done for me. Email 5 star they are very helpful with any questions and generally respond pretty quick.
Thanks for info... I will do that..

Old 02-01-2016, 06:48 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought it with 5 tunes: 87 eco, 87 perf, 87 perf/tow, 91 perf, 91 perf/tow. I did this because 91 is easy to get and is available everywhere. Then I bought 93 perf. 93 perf is awesome.

I run their 87 performance most of the time, and adjust the octane and switch to 91 perf/tow when I am hauling my camper.

Now that gas is so cheap and I can get 93 for 2.20 per gallon, I will start running the 93 perf tune. It is badass

Enjoy........

Old 02-02-2016, 08:50 PM
RT3
New User
I have been lurking on this forum for a while. I decided to join and reply on this thread. I recently purchased the sct tuner from five star and have been happy with it. On the TPMS sensors I don't have any on my wheels at all. So I always got the TPMS fault I had to clear everytime I started the truck. Well I was messing with the tuner the other day and it gives you options to change at the beginning and you can select what pressure on the TPMS you want. I selected 0 psi and it cleared the fault I've gotten everytime since I've had the truck. The little yellow low tire isn't on anymore either. Sorry for such a long post but just wanted to let y'all know.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:37 AM
fishbones182
Senior User
Originally Posted by RT3
I have been lurking on this forum for a while. I decided to join and reply on this thread. I recently purchased the sct tuner from five star and have been happy with it. On the TPMS sensors I don't have any on my wheels at all. So I always got the TPMS fault I had to clear everytime I started the truck. Well I was messing with the tuner the other day and it gives you options to change at the beginning and you can select what pressure on the TPMS you want. I selected 0 psi and it cleared the fault I've gotten everytime since I've had the truck. The little yellow low tire isn't on anymore either. Sorry for such a long post but just wanted to let y'all know.
That's awesome to hear setting it to zero will disable the dummy light and clear all error messages.