1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change frequency observation

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 08:04 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Many years ago, back when I was a kid, we had a neighbor that worked for General Electric in Cincinnati, Ohio that never changed the oil in his vehicles. Didn't believe it was necessary. He said that if we used the same oil in our cars and trucks as they used in those aircraft engines, the motors would never wear out. I don't know what brand of oil he used, but he would change the filter every 3000 miles and top off his vehicles. He swore by Hastings filters too. Like I said, this was back in the 60's and 70's. He got rid of his cars after 150,000 miles, which was saying something back then.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:16 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
I think I'm finished changing my own oil. Last month the dealer changed my oil, filter, lubed the U-joints, and rotated the tires for $39.95. That's about what it costs me to do it myself, and I still have to dispose of the old oil and filter.
I don't disagree but anytime I've been there for an oil change, which has been the few free ones after purchase, it takes about 3hrs from getting there to driving off the lot. I can find 20 minutes in a busy day for oil and other lubrication. The tire rotation is one thing that is much easier done on a lift. Although with my dually it's just side to side no front to back crisscross.

I just hate the horror stories from my friends who worked at dealers or repair shops who did oil changes. Forgot to put pan plug back in or stripped the plug. Forgot to tighten filter. Not putting oil in causing a complete failure. Car smells like some smoked a pack in it in :30. These aren't hearsay stories, it was them who did it.

But I agree that it terms of price you get a pretty good deal, as long as they actually do the other stuff. Too me it's the timeframe and trust.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:39 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Many years ago, back when I was a kid, we had a neighbor that worked for General Electric in Cincinnati, Ohio that never changed the oil in his vehicles. Didn't believe it was necessary. He said that if we used the same oil in our cars and trucks as they used in those aircraft engines, the motors would never wear out. I don't know what brand of oil he used, but he would change the filter every 3000 miles and top off his vehicles. He swore by Hastings filters too. Like I said, this was back in the 60's and 70's. He got rid of his cars after 150,000 miles, which was saying something back then.

My Gunnery Sargent had a dodge with over 200k miles on and never changed the oil, only filter and top off. The oil looked like sludge on the dipstick. That sucker did not smoke or use oil. We used to give hip a lot of crap over that since he was our maintenance chief.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:58 AM
redford
Received 1,562 Likes on 910 Posts
Originally Posted by Diamnd1
My Gunnery Sargent had a dodge with over 200k miles on and never changed the oil, only filter and top off. The oil looked like sludge on the dipstick. That sucker did not smoke or use oil. We used to give hip a lot of crap over that since he was our maintenance chief.
I used to work for an Army SFC that did the same thing. Abe would buy a new Ford pickup every 3 years, pay cash for it. No options, 6 cylinder, manual transmission. Abe did nothing but put fuel in the truck, then trade it in 3 years down the road.

Damn thing is, he never had problems with his trucks.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:02 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
I don't disagree but anytime I've been there for an oil change, which has been the few free ones after purchase, it takes about 3hrs from getting there to driving off the lot. I can find 20 minutes in a busy day for oil and other lubrication. The tire rotation is one thing that is much easier done on a lift. Although with my dually it's just side to side no front to back crisscross.

I just hate the horror stories from my friends who worked at dealers or repair shops who did oil changes. Forgot to put pan plug back in or stripped the plug. Forgot to tighten filter. Not putting oil in causing a complete failure. Car smells like some smoked a pack in it in :30. These aren't hearsay stories, it was them who did it.

But I agree that it terms of price you get a pretty good deal, as long as they actually do the other stuff. Too me it's the timeframe and trust.
You've hit on the key element. I have purchased three vehicles from this dealer and the service I've had done in the past has (as far as I can tell) been done properly. So yes, I've started to trust them to do oil changes and rotate the tires. Thinking about having them change the plugs on my Lincoln too.
I'm probably setting myself up for a fall...

Old 02-01-2016, 12:42 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
F250: 5 quarts Amsoil Signature Synthetic 5W-20 + 1 Quart Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer + Amsoil Filter changed once per year (I drive it < 10k per year, Amsoil filter and oil are claimed to be good for 1 year or 25K when using their signature series oil and filter)

Ranger: 5 quarts full synthetic 5W-30 of the Advance Auto deal of the month + 1 can 4 cylinder Restore + K&N or Purolator Premium filter changed every 5000 miles

Grand Vitara: 5 quarts full synthetic 5W-30 of the Advance Auto deal of the month + Purolator Premium filter changed every 5000 miles

I know you may not agree with the oil change interval in the F250, but I have been extremely satisfied with their products in my Ranger, Grand Vitara, and ATV. I do not see why I should not listen to their advice, especially with all of the studies and tests they have performed.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:54 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Diamnd1
I know a guy who is a maintenance man at a local brewery. He never does maintenance on any of his ATVs or vehicles. He has a Toyota that has 100,000 miles on it with the factory oil. He always says it has oil it and that is all that matters to him.

He does make one exception.... he has a Dixie Chopper mower and that gets meticulous maintenance... why the lawn mower and not his vehicles... I have no idea