1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change frequency observation

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 07:35 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Here's the thing tho. I like truck mods and lift kits and big tires and interior add ons and tuners and so on and so on.

I just think it's silly when someone gets called out for "wasting" negligible money on extra oil changes that are deemed unnecessary but not a soul cries foul when someone drops $3500 for a top notch lift kit, spends a grand on those power fold steps, getting a winch just for kicks like I did, or buys a set of factory king ranch leather seats off of eBay for $3000, etc.

Please don't see this as me telling anyone what to do. I'm stating an observation I've made about this topic and find the irony of it just a little silly. That's all. I really have no issue with mods, 55,678 mile oil changes , or anything. I'm just stating an observation.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:48 PM
Tom A
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a lift kit, bigger tires, a killer sound system, and thousands of dollars in other mods. I change my oil at 6k miles and always use full synthetic.

I have also never accused anybody of wasting money for changing their oil too often, or for outfitting their truck with more bling than I have. I know I "waste" money, but it's my hard-earned money and that's my right.

BTW, I have a truck with a Warn 12k lb. winch and, up until recently, had another with a Harbor Freight 12k. The one with the Warn sees frequent hard core offroad use, and the one with the HF didn't. There is a huge difference between the two (which is obvious if you own both), but not every vehicle needs a $1500 winch. That's why there's the $300 Harbor Freight option.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:00 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tom A
I have a lift kit, bigger tires, a killer sound system, and thousands of dollars in other mods. I change my oil at 6k miles and always use full synthetic.

I have also never accused anybody of wasting money for changing their oil too often, or for outfitting their truck with more bling than I have. I know I "waste" money, but it's my hard-earned money and that's my right.

BTW, I have a truck with a Warn 12k lb. winch and, up until recently, had another with a Harbor Freight 12k. The one with the Warn sees frequent hard core offroad use, and the one with the HF didn't. There is a huge difference between the two (which is obvious if you own both), but not every vehicle needs a $1500 winch. That's why there's the $300 Harbor Freight option.
You're making my point. It's your money and you have the right to blow it on whatever, whether it be all the add ons or oil changes. It's those people, which you aren't one of, who pick on the frequent oil changes as a waste of money when it is someone else's hard earned money.

Definitely won't see hardcore off road use. If it did I'd be right with ya with the Warn.

I only talk about "wasted" money on mods as I look back on the trucks over the years. Many, many moons ago I had a 96 f150 with near 5 grand in stereo equipment and another few thousand in stupid other "mods". I actually found myself lucky in that all that stereo stuff was stolen and my insurance company paid for every dime of it. I'd take all that dumbly spent money right now to by that 5th wheel trailer I want. Nope that money is gone with nothing to show for it.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:02 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Oil change frequency

Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
As the omniscient moderator.
Please don't give Tom a big head.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:06 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by redford

Wait. Are you telling me it isn't true?.........

Old 01-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by redford

Yeah, that never works out well. I'm not omniscient, but I can sometimes come off that way. I almost never mean to **** people off, but often I come off a bit arrogant and abrasive.

There, I can almost fit my head through the door again.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:19 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master

Hahaha

Old 01-28-2016, 09:28 PM
auburngrad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally do every 5k. Note everything from the computer, miles, hours, etc.

I did do a 1,500 change since I bought brand new and left with 9 miles, and then got on track at 5k miles.

I do it with Red Line Full Synthetic. Might be overkill, but if it's good for my sports car and the my old jobs race cars, it can handle the trucks work.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:23 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Random observation before the first cup of coffee:

I think part of this issue is what people get worked up over. I guess I'm a "punctual" person, and I tend to be pretty **** about changing things at the "correct" time, but I can't ever remember any of it without help.....

....so I write on everything. Seriously. I write mileage-in in white ink pen on my truck's air filter. I write milage on the oil bottle and set it on the shelf. I write the date-in and date-out in Sharpie on the air filter in my house. I write the date on the bottle of root killer I flush every 6 months.

I do NOT write the date on the baby for a diaper change through I have some principals, so I make sure the baby get's changed every 3000 miles like clockwork.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:31 AM
nards444
Senior User
To each his own. And people spend hundreds to put stickers and stupid lights all over their trucks.

A diesel engine does not need an oil change before 5k that's fact. But if were talking in general here are my thoughts.

Engines and oils are not like they were 30 years ago when the common theme was 3k miles of normal use. Plenty of studies that point to that, and really I have failed to find any studies that show 3k is a good idea, the only thing I have found is it gives people a piece of mind.

Then we get into cost. Most new stuff wants syn or a blend you cant buy 5 qts for much less than 20-22 bucks plus a $10 filter and add another 2-3 qts as most gas engines want 6-8 qts. So really if really your talking 35-40 bucks per change. avg mileage per year is 12k miles, which makes 4 changes at cost of 160 bucks a year for gas, double it for a diesel, if your doing it your self. Vs if you go for the 7-10k your getting 1 maybe two changes a year. One thing to factor in as well is time and gas to go to the store to get supplies, time doing it and time bringing back the oil to recycle. Whatever I do I figure my time is worth 20 bucks an hour.

But I also go to manufactures recommendations which come from engineers who generally have studies behind them and the education to make an informed call. That suits me better than what I think is good. And most manufactures put any engine in the 5-10k range now. And it makes sense as they have warranty these engines to 100k miles or whatever, that's tells me that if the interval wasn't sufficient they would lower it.

Also if you do some googling, there is some thought on changing oil to often might be bad things especially for older engines. The thought is oil takes time to break down and run through it natural course. By constantly adding new oil to an engine especially an older one, your being hard on it.

But hey do what you want, me personally I think 3k is waste of my money and time. regardless of oil change interval how many engines do you hear or see one blow internally because of oil before 100k. or even 150k.

But whats funny is ill see guys be the religious 3k type but yet they never wash the car, has dents all over etc. Again to each his own

Old 01-29-2016, 08:34 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
I don't think the one has much of anything to do with the other.
If I put a $10,000.00 light bar on the roof of my truck, and then tell you that you are wasting oil and/or money changing your oil every 500 miles, what does the one have to do with the other? Is it perhaps your perception that a light bar is a waste of money?
If you post that you change your oil every 500 miles and I post that you are wasting your time/money/oil and explain why it is a waste to change you oil that often, you are free to examine the data and arrive at your own conclusions. It doesn't matter if my truck is painted pink, has 75" tires, and a disco ball. If you want to discuss how I waste money, that's fodder for a different thread.
I think part of the problem is that folks do make and take things personal on here. I happen to spend a lot of time speaking out against programmers/tuners because I feel they significantly decrease reliability and durability. But I do like my chrome exhaust tip (which some may see as a waste).

Old 01-29-2016, 08:50 AM
nards444
Senior User
Originally Posted by wrvond
I don't think the one has much of anything to do with the other.
If I put a $10,000.00 light bar on the roof of my truck, and then tell you that you are wasting oil and/or money changing your oil every 500 miles, what does the one have to do with the other? Is it perhaps your perception that a light bar is a waste of money?
If you post that you change your oil every 500 miles and I post that you are wasting your time/money/oil and explain why it is a waste to change you oil that often, you are free to examine the data and arrive at your own conclusions. It doesn't matter if my truck is painted pink, has 75" tires, and a disco ball. If you want to discuss how I waste money, that's fodder for a different thread.
I think part of the problem is that folks do make and take things personal on here. I happen to spend a lot of time speaking out against programmers/tuners because I feel they significantly decrease reliability and durability. But I do like my chrome exhaust tip (which some may see as a waste).
Very well said. I don't care what my neighbor spends his money on really don't. I can have my opinions but everybody has them.

I belong to a lot of forums. And what I find is this, and I in no way itend to ding or poke a somebody. But a lot of people go off what they always did or what dad told them, and seems to encompass everybody but the older crowd seems to be worse with it. They do something but beyond peace of mind really do not have data to support what they do. I always encourage people take a few mins and read up on somethings, the internet is a great a tool. You may find something that you are actually doing wrong, but it might help you save time and money.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by sammy77
Do what makes you feel better about it. I change mine @ 5k miles with full synthetic oil. Always have.
That's where I'm at. I feel that for most applications 3k is too soon and is a myth perpetuated by oil change places. If I remember correctly the manual says 7,000 or 7,500 miles. But I take it in every 5k.
My 2003 Cadillac just says to go by the oil life indicator or once a year, whichever happens sooner.

Old 01-29-2016, 09:17 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Random observation before the first cup of coffee:

I think part of this issue is what people get worked up over. I guess I'm a "punctual" person, and I tend to be pretty **** about changing things at the "correct" time, but I can't ever remember any of it without help.....

....so I write on everything. Seriously. I write mileage-in in white ink pen on my truck's air filter. I write milage on the oil bottle and set it on the shelf. I write the date-in and date-out in Sharpie on the air filter in my house. I write the date on the bottle of root killer I flush every 6 months.

I do NOT write the date on the baby for a diaper change through I have some principals, so I make sure the baby get's changed every 3000 miles like clockwork.
My father is like this. Even puts the date in the battery in his smoke alarms. But that's his nature as a chemical engineer most likely. Label, label, label!! It's not a bad practice at all.

I just use an app for that. Haha!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Coachhick
Senior User
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
My father is like this. Even puts the date in the battery in his smoke alarms. But that's his nature as a chemical engineer most likely. Label, label, label!! It's not a bad practice at all.

I just use an app for that. Haha!
I prefer to guess......ahhh I guess I oughtta check the smoke detector battery/air filter/oil level. Hahaha

Quick Reply: Oil change frequency observation