Sponsored by:

Treadwright Brand Tire Reviews

Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Treadwright Brand Tire Reviews

Tire Brand Review Thread

Each of these individual threads has been developed to help answer the many, many questions people have about tires. Each thread will be added to the tech folder, which will allow for quick and easy reference for researching a specific brand and its performance on the Excursion or other large Ford machine!

This thread is to review all tires from this manufacture and only this one!

TreadWright Tires

If you want to review another brand, please find that thread (located in the Tech Folder), or talk with a moderator about starting a new brand thread to potentially be featured in the Tech Folder.

If you decide to post your reviews on your tires, please include the following:

Type/style of tire
Tire size
Current Miles on the tire
Tread left

Please then describe how the tire has worked for you. Do not forget to mention how it has been while driving in:

Rain
Snow
Mud
Dry
Pavement
Gravel
Rock Crawling

If you have had an experience, good or bad, we want you to share it!

Lastly, please tell us if you would consider buying the tire again. Why or why not?

Don’t forget photos or video of:

The general tire on your Ex
Tread design
Sidewalls
Anything else you want to show us about the tire!

Thank you for your cooperation!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 01-28-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:15 PM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
I hope they are reading....
I bought 2 for the rear of my '65 used to haul firewood. They are absolutely not safe. The sidewalls are so week it wanders dangerously. F250, 245/75/16 LR E, same size as those they replaced. I wanted them to work, they look good, but I will not use them and am waiting to see if TW makes this right.
As for cost, I've got $260 in the pair up to now, they were $99 each. Not sure I'd go this way again.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:48 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Originally Posted by PROSTOCK
I hope they are reading....
I bought 2 for the rear of my '65 used to haul firewood. They are absolutely not safe. The sidewalls are so week it wanders dangerously. F250, 245/75/16 LR E, same size as those they replaced. I wanted them to work, they look good, but I will not use them and am waiting to see if TW makes this right.
As for cost, I've got $260 in the pair up to now, they were $99 each. Not sure I'd go this way again.
When did you get them and were they the retread or the bead to bead remold?

Old 01-29-2016, 06:32 AM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Vince79vette
When did you get them and were they the retread or the bead to bead remold?
Go to their website, they clearly state bead to bead, and they are.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:11 AM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Go to their website, they clearly state bead to bead, and they are.
Reason i asked is because they were not always bead to bead from what i read earlier. I know now they are.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tires used:
Treadwright Sentinel 245/75R17 - Load Range E
Goodyear Commercial casings.

Paid US$95 each. (US$ 380 for a set of 4, plus $115 shipped to my front door.)

Bought at 175k miles; Currently on 198k miles. 23k miles on the tires.

New tie rods and an alignment shortly after installation.

Bought on 10 March 2012.

One of them failed on the highway in April, a 3x8 inch section of tread peeled off the casing. Sent them pics and a new tire was immediately sent to me free of charge and free shipping. They did not require me to send them the old tire, they told me to just throw it out. (I did not have a spare. I ordered it separately.)

The tires are a good all-terrain. They handle well on dry and wet pavement and gravel as well as mud and snow.

I have not gone rock crawling with them.

They do support heavy loads when hauling and towing, as I'd expect a Load Range E to do.

The sidewalls appear to be shaved down as part of their process to apply the new tread. I originally thought they sent me tire casings that had been driven on flat... But all six tires look the same. The sales person explained that some of the lettering on the sidewall gets shaved when they retread it.

While there was one defect in the six tires they sent me, I think they're good tires.
They stood behind their product, acknowledged the failure, and corrected the issue. Since then, I haven't had any problems.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:38 PM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Thumbs down Real unhappy with Treadwright

Well I'm not happy at all. See my previous post. After a week of nothing I inquired again and received this...."Looks like the issue is caused by you only putting 2 of our Treadwright tires in the back of your vehicle. Our rubber is a softer compound rubber that makes the tires "Tread walk" when driving on them and that is what you are feeling. Since you have a different tire tread and different compound on the front tires the feel is very high. The only thing we can do is give you a 25% discount if you are willing to purchase 2 more tires to put in the front."

It's my fault I only bought 2 tires. Really?! They admit an issue but still my fault.

My response..." Interesting that isn't mentioned on the website. So you are knowingly willing to sell tires without stating that due to their construct, your vehicle will be too dangerous to operate? That is indeed fact. 25% discount is unacceptable, a full refund is. If you are unauthorized to honor that request please forward or provide contact information to those that are.

Thank you"

Crickets...

Old 02-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by Pele
Tires used:
Treadwright Sentinel 245/75R17 - Load Range E
Goodyear Commercial casings.

Paid US$95 each. (US$ 380 for a set of 4, plus $115 shipped to my front door.)

Bought at 175k miles; Currently on 198k miles. 23k miles on the tires.

New tie rods and an alignment shortly after installation.

Bought on 10 March 2012.

One of them failed on the highway in April, a 3x8 inch section of tread peeled off the casing. Sent them pics and a new tire was immediately sent to me free of charge and free shipping. They did not require me to send them the old tire, they told me to just throw it out. (I did not have a spare. I ordered it separately.)

The tires are a good all-terrain. They handle well on dry and wet pavement and gravel as well as mud and snow.

I have not gone rock crawling with them.

They do support heavy loads when hauling and towing, as I'd expect a Load Range E to do.

The sidewalls appear to be shaved down as part of their process to apply the new tread. I originally thought they sent me tire casings that had been driven on flat... But all six tires look the same. The sales person explained that some of the lettering on the sidewall gets shaved when they retread it.

While there was one defect in the six tires they sent me, I think they're good tires.
They stood behind their product, acknowledged the failure, and corrected the issue. Since then, I haven't had any problems.
How much for mounting/balancing?

Old 02-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
I just read this too. The sizes we would normally use on our excursions

Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
How much for mounting/balancing?
Free. I had access to an automotive shop at the time. I've since lost that access and am searching for mounting and balancing machines.

Originally Posted by Vince79vette
I just read this too. The sizes we would normally use on our excursions
Those aren't the stock sizes for the Excursion.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:59 PM
Pele
Laughing Gas
Well I'm not happy at all. See my previous post. After a week of nothing I inquired again and received this...."Looks like the issue is caused by you only putting 2 of our Treadwright tires in the back of your vehicle. Our rubber is a softer compound rubber that makes the tires "Tread walk" when driving on them and that is what you are feeling. Since you have a different tire tread and different compound on the front tires the feel is very high. The only thing we can do is give you a 25% discount if you are willing to purchase 2 more tires to put in the front."

It's my fault I only bought 2 tires. Really?! They admit an issue but still my fault.

My response..." Interesting that isn't mentioned on the website. So you are knowingly willing to sell tires without stating that due to their construct, your vehicle will be too dangerous to operate? That is indeed fact. 25% discount is unacceptable, a full refund is. If you are unauthorized to honor that request please forward or provide contact information to those that are.

Thank you"

Crickets...
That doesn't make sense at all. Many vehicles run different size and compound tires front and rear.

I can imagine if you put different tires on each side, but so long as you do a complete axle, you shouldn't have problems.

What PSI were you running and how heavy a load were you hauling?

Old 02-03-2016, 09:43 PM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
That doesn't make sense at all. Many vehicles run different size and compound tires front and rear.

I can imagine if you put different tires on each side, but so long as you do a complete axle, you shouldn't have problems.

What PSI were you running and how heavy a load were you hauling?
Couldn't agree more. Normally run 65 in the rear, jacked it up to 80 with very little difference. No load. Really want them to make it right, but when they blame me for not buying 4 tires....I have no respect. And they are blowing me off. No doubt they have a decent product in some cases, but seems there are more problems then should be, but their customer service, it's off the charts terrible. I made a mistake going with them, and they couldn't care less. I'm a senior manufacturing engineer with a DJIA company, no way we would do this to our customers. That might be why we have been around so long...perhaps they wont.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Vince79vette
Elder User
Free. I had access to an automotive shop at the time. I've since lost that access and am searching for mounting and balancing machines.Those aren't the stock sizes for the Excursion.
Was thinking towards the lifted ones like 4in and up. Sorry should have said that.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Paid $582 shipped for 4 tires to my door. Was higher initially, but got Military discount. If you sign up for their newsletter they give same discount to everyone

285/75R16 Treadwright Warden
Load Range E

For a 33" tire, these Wardens are huge. Here they are compared to my 265/75R16 (32") Firestone Transforce

Side by Side (brand new spare)

Almost 2" taller overall

Took 3 weeks from point of placing order to arrive. Tires are sold almost as soon as they make them. The company has lots of business. My only real complaint at all. Company is hard to get a hold of by phone. But very active on Facebook and Messenger.

Installation:
I mounted/balanced myself on base. First time I've ever done that. Wasn't fun, but wasn't terrible either. I will pay a shop to do next time.

I did use more weights than I've seen before...but again I did it. Probably user error
Ride:
With 45-50psi in the tires, the ride is squishy and I'm not a fan. Lots of sidewall bulge. Braking was scary

I now run 62-65 psi. Ride is firm and I have no complaints. Sidewall bulge very minimal, similar to all other Load E I've ever had.

Buddy installed 35/12.5R20 Warden's on his Harley F-250 6.0. Same situation. He started at 50 psi and ended up 65 psi. Said they floated
Noise:
These are very loud tires! They are comparable to Mud Terrains. With windows up, not noticeable. Noise starts about 30 mph and I've driven up to 75 mph with them. Noise gets to a certain level and doesn't get worse.
Traction:
I think they're great. They dig into dirt/rocks/gravel pretty well. Combined with heavy weight of the Excursion and it's a good combo. I've only gotten them to spin once. It was raining and I floored it from a stop.

Like the BFG and Coopers, the tread pattern likes to pick up small rocks. So every now and then you get an annoying "click" due to rock stuck in tread.