6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Edge CTS Evolution and Towing question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 03:27 PM
OJs DNA
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge CTS Evolution and Towing question

So after my bulletproofing with two new heads, EGR and oil cooler, APR head studs and a new FICM back in October I finally got my Edge unit to monitor temps. I've got the EGT probe in there as well and I like the product so far, here is the question. Do you guys that tow and have programmers use the program for towing (in this case the CTS model is power level 2 is for towing) and if you do use that power level do you so so in coordination with the tow button engaged on the gear shift handle? I tow a 30 foot trailer with loads anywhere from 6,000 lbs to 18,000 lbs, normally with the tow mode on. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to employe this unit in conjunction with the tow mode, thanks guys.

Attached Images    
Old 01-27-2016, 04:03 PM
ccahall
New User
I have used it with the tow button engaged. makes the trans downshift to help stop. my experience though is every time i have used the tow tune on the edge evolution and towed with it, i have lost an injector. i only tow with truck on stock tune and tow haul mode on. when not towing i leave it on the extreme tune.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:13 PM
OJs DNA
Junior User
Originally Posted by ccahall
my experience though is every time i have used the tow tune on the edge evolution and towed with it, i have lost an injector.
GULP Thanks for the feedback, I know many here only use the tow mode and not programs while hauling, good info. I just need more HP/Torque when going up grades. Maybe the lesson is only use the CTS tune during those times only.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The problem is when you change tunes the tranny is not having time to relearn, switching back and forth is not good for the transmission. Do you have the blue spring upgrade and can you monitor fuel pressure? A lot of people will tell you that is not a good tuning option due to the damepage to the transmission from shifting on the fly. Why not leave it on one setting all the time, give it a chance to learn the shifting, then leave it alone.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:31 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
A lot of people will tell you that is not a good tuning option due to the damepage to the transmission from shifting on the fly.
The Evo does NOT shift on the fly, that's the Juice with Attitude. I would think that stopping while towing, changing the tune, pulling up a grade, stopping, loading stock file, repeat, is a generally bad idea because holy crap that's a lot of stoping and swaping, but the Edge Evo is NOT a trans killer tuner.

Originally Posted by Manual for Edge Evo 85400
CAUTION: Programming requires that the vehicle be parked and not
moving. As such, make sure to park away from traffic or areas where
the vehicle may impede access or exit. Programming will take several
minutes and the vehicle can’t be started during this process.
http://edgeproducts.com/installation...8039_REV00.pdf

Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 AM
OJs DNA
Junior User
I do not have the blue spring upgrade, I'll dig into it and see what the benefit is. And yes, leaving the tune in program 2 and running the truck is what I plan to do, my comment was based on the 'I ruin a fuel injector every time I use the tow mode' comment earlier in the thread. Going back and forth was not the plan at all. I appreciate the real life feedback guys, much appreciated.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:53 AM
NotURMailman
Senior User
Originally Posted by OJs DNA
I do not have the blue spring upgrade, I'll dig into it and see what the benefit is.
The benefit is higher fuel pressure, particularly during WOT, high engine loads, and heavy acceleration. Fuel pressure can drop substantially during these conditions. The original spring that came in the truck was not sufficient to keep pressures up during these times. Low fuel pressure can cause injector damage. This I not an aftermarket upgrade, it is an update from Ford.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:44 PM
OJs DNA
Junior User
Ha Ha - on a recent trip hauling about 14,000 lbs I noticed that she would hesitate, kinda stumble after running real smooth just a few seconds before and I thought it was maybe an injector. I would bring the speed down and get going again and it was gone, then later on while WOT I would notice it again, I can see how low fuel pressure could have caused what I experienced.