1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Gauges haywire

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:37 AM
Butch5
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges haywire

Hello,

I was driving at highway speed when there was a bang, like a hard shift, and i lost all electric power. briefly. The power came back on and then went off again. It came back on again as I pulled over. I shut the van off and tried to restart it. Nothing. I got out and checked the battery. I wiggled the cable etc. I went back in and initially had full lights but then the lights dimmed. The truck did start however, the lights remained dim. I cleaned both cables and reconnected the cable ends and clean the terminals. The van started right up but lights still remained dim. I tried to drive it and the gauges are all over the place. The speedometer does not register and the van shifts erratically. Sometimes it will rev high before shifting and then shift hard into gear. I read in another thread where this might be cause by the vehicle speed sensor so I replaced it, however, the issue still remains. Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2016, 11:37 AM
Butch5
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Butch5
Hello,

I was driving at highway speed when there was a bang, like a hard shift, and i lost all electric power. briefly. The power came back on and then went off again. It came back on again as I pulled over. I shut the van off and tried to restart it. Nothing. I got out and checked the battery. I wiggled the cable etc. I went back in and initially had full lights but then the lights dimmed. The truck did start however, the lights remained dim. I cleaned both cables and reconnected the cable ends and clean the terminals. The van started right up but lights still remained dim. I tried to drive it and the gauges are all over the place. The speedometer does not register and the van shifts erratically. Sometimes it will rev high before shifting and then shift hard into gear. I read in another thread where this might be cause by the vehicle speed sensor so I replaced it, however, the issue still remains. Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?

Thanks!
Got it figured out. It was broken ground wire.