Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 f150 E4OD tourque converter locking up too soon.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:01 PM
POLARISrider500
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 f150 E4OD tourque converter locking up too soon.

my 1993 f150 351 has been locking up the trans going around 30 to 40 after a deceleration and some times it will lock up accelerating in and out starting at about 38 to 40 for a few seconds. I also have a shudder too when i accelerate especially the first gear. CANNOT be the tires being unbalanced.... its always shuddered a little about 30 to 45 when i first got it about at 48000 miles, now has 58000 miles. And not a misfire...

Old 01-26-2016, 09:23 PM
stak
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know this will sound strange but have you replaced the tail light bulbs with LED bulbs? or have you had a issue with tail lights not working? several years ago i had a 92 F150 4.9 with E4OD. i built a flat bed on it and installed LED tail lights. as soon as i did that i had the same trans problem as you. it was purely by chance that i found the cause when i had to replace the lights with incandescent bulbs and when i drove it next it drove like new. i am not sure how the system works. but i do know if there is not enough resistance in the tail lights it affects the transmission.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 PM
POLARISrider500
Junior User
Thanks this makes sence but i check my STOCK lights regularly and they are not burnt out. you can blow out the transmission by leaving the 4 way flashers on

Old 01-26-2016, 09:51 PM
POLARISrider500
Junior User
Id like to have the AOD from my old truck into this truck, no problems with that one with 250000miles on it

Old 01-27-2016, 05:22 AM
stak
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think i would do a full fluid and filter change on the transmission.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 AM
POLARISrider500
Junior User
the shuuder was my drive shaft and my front seal has always leaked and i was in the cold fluid level when the transmission was warm. took out the rear drive shaft and put it in 4x4 and the shudder was gone, rear joint is shot but i checked a while a go while i had the same vibration and all joints checked out good. going to replace the joint and if the shake is still there, i will replace the front one even tho it is good and send the shaft in to get balanced., has a newer carrier bearing and a middle u joint.
my qusetion is now, could low fluid cause the tranny to lock up at that low of a speed? I use motorcraft LV transmission fluid and will not add any additives, i do no believe in mechanic in a bottle...

Old 01-27-2016, 11:16 AM
POLARISrider500
Junior User
i recently got a flush with new filter and pan gasket, used motorcraft LV with the flush about 3000 miles ago

Old 01-27-2016, 11:49 AM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You are using the wrong transmission fluid, E4OD takes Mercon V

Motorcraft® MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

• Premium-quality ATF for Ford and Lincoln transmissions
  • Provides excellent performance in electronically controlled automatic transmissions
  • Manufactured with high-viscosity index, premium-quality, hydroprocessed base oils and specially designed performance additives
  • Provides excellent shifting characteristics at high and low ambient temperatures, and guards against transmission shudder
  • Offers excellent thermal, oxidation and shear stability, as well as good low-temperature fluidity
  • Provides wear protection and inhibits the formation of gum, sludge, lacquer and foam
  • Helps prevent rust and corrosion
  • Dyed red for easy leak detection
  • Not for use in applications where MERCON® V, MERCON® SP, Continuously Variable Chain Type Transmission Fluid, Motorcraft® Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid, FNR5 Automatic Transmission Fluid or Type F Automatic Transmission Fluid is recommended
  • Not for use in transfer cases
  • Recommended by Ford Motor Company
  • Available in cases of 12 one-quart bottles

Old 01-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Toplait
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I been using that Vavoline Max Life Full synthetic Multi Vehicle ATF // Mercon LV for about 2 years now. Should I drain that out? Just curious....

Old 01-27-2016, 12:05 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Toplait
I been using that Vavoline Max Life Full synthetic Multi Vehicle ATF // Mercon LV for about 2 years now. Should I drain that out? Just curious....
Probably should see if Mark comments to that but I wouldn't run anything in either of mine but Mercon V.

Using the specified fluid, there has to be a reason for it or it'd all be the same formulation and marketed for use in all transmissions, regardless of type or manufacture.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:11 PM
POLARISrider500
Junior User
Its basically synthetic mercon 5, i know a mechanic thats been using mercon lv in all vehcles even gm and they all have been awesome.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:23 PM
Toplait
More Turbo
I think I have the same problem with mine. It has that slip feel when its cold but once it gets up to about 70-80 degrees it seems to all ways be locked.

I could never figure the issue out. Been like that for about 10 years now. Hard to explain. No codes...All lights work. I never have driven another vehicle with a E4OD in it so not sure how it is suppose to perform. I guess I need to watch some videos on You-Tube.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:51 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One of the major contributors of shudder in these transmissions is incorrect fluid. You're using the wrong fluid. If LV was "basically synthetic Mercon V", it'd say as such, and it'd say it was compatible with Mercon V vehicles. Ford specifically says not to use it in vehicles that require Mercon V.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Toplait
More Turbo
http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Valvoline letter
THOMAS R. SMITH

Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
February 10, 2009
To Whom It May Concern:
MaxLife ATF is a full synthetic automatic transmission fluid designed to meet the needs of the broadest range of
transmission designs. MaxLife ATF recommendations are based on a combination of formal OEM approvals,
field testing and laboratory testing.
Valvoline MaxLife ATF carries the following formal OEM approvals:
Voith H55.6335.33 (G607)

Allison C-4

Volvo STD 1273.41 (Pending)

Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions calling for the above specifications is fully supported by the by both
Valvoline and the respective transmission/vehicle manufacturer.

Valvoline recommends MaxLife ATF in a broad range of transmissions beyond those for which we have formal OEM approval. The list below is just a sample of applications where Valvoline supports the use of MaxLife ATF. Valvoline has conducted in-house testing, independent lab testing and field-testing to support MaxLife ATF performance in these transmissions; however, it is important to note that the respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MaxLife ATF in these applications.
Allison TES 389

Allison TES 295 (extended drain with appropriate used oil sampling)

Audi G-052-025-A2, G-052-162-A1

BMW LT71141 or LA2634 fluids

Ford MERCON®

Ford FNR5

Ford MERCON® V

Ford MERCON® SP

MERCON® LV

GM 9986195

GM DEXRON® II, III and VI

Honda/Acura ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs)

Hyundai

JWS 3309

KIA SP-II and SP-III Fluids

KIA Red 1

MAN 399 Type F

Mazda M-V

Mercedes Benz Sheet 236.x (except 236.12 and 236.20)

Mercedes Benz NAG-1

MOPAR AS68RC ATF

Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II or SP-III

Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K, and Matic-S

Subaru ATF

Subaru ATF-HP

Toyota / Lexus Type T, T-III or T-IV

Toyota WS

Voith H55.6336.33 (G1363)

Volvo 1161521 and 1161540

VW TL52162

ZF TE-ML-14B, 16L and 17C

ATF 3403 M115
Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MaxLife ATF. Use of MaxLife ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle’s warranty. Vehicle manufacturers are restricted by federal law from including the requirement of the use of a specific brand or trade name of product or service as a condition of their warranty. The following is an extract from the Federal Trade Commission’s web site on interpretation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions. In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in
effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.\

Valvoline has conducted extensive testing and has a long history of successful use of MaxLife ATF in a broad range of applications.
In the unlikely event that you or your customer experiences any transmission damage while using MaxLife ATF in a Valvoline recommended application, please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL for assistance.

While MaxLife ATF is designed to meet the special needs of higher mileage transmissions, new transmissions can also benefit from its enhanced oxidation protection, shear stability, seal compatibility, wear protection and antishudder protection. Many consumers have chosen to take advantage of this level of performance in newer transmissions.

Valvoline currently does not recommend MaxLife ATF where certain specific low viscosity ATFs are called for.These include Mercedes Benz NAG-2, ZF Lifeguard 6 and 6 Plus, and AUDI G055-162-A6 and G055-005-A2 applications. Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in most continuously variable transmissions (CVTs) unless specifically noted nor in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F fluids are recommended.

Sincerely,

QuickTime™ and a
TIFF (Uncompressed) decompressor
are needed to see this picture.
Thom Smith
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
Ashland Consumer Markets

Old 01-27-2016, 06:00 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,151 Likes on 910 Posts
It looks like Valvoline is trying to make a universal transmission fluid. My take on anything "universal": It's equally bad at everything.

I would not use it in any of my vehicles regardless of what the marketing hype states.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 f150 E4OD tourque converter locking up too soon.