6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 06:02 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Many of us over the years have learned to watch him for comic relief.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:44 AM
ginomachino
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill is pretty versed, and after watching his videos I was very nervous about the purchase I have made. However, if you watch enough of his videos, including the "harley revival" and other videos that are loaded with car salesman tactics, you might realize his head might be much bigger than what he wants you to believe.

It is clear that he has great knowledge of ford diesel engines, but I think he uses that knowledge to 1st help himself. JMO

Old 01-28-2016, 06:46 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I take much of what he says with a grain of salt.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:36 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Oh geez

Why do we do this???

EVERY engine has its down falls, some more than others (or so we think).

I just wish that when people make claims about reliability and how many miles they will last, that they would just state the facts of what would need to be done make these trucks last the longest. No one can give an honest answer as to how many miles ANY of the trucks will last. Its all speculation!!!

One guy gets 20K miles on one Ford truck, while another guy gets 800K miles on the same make and model.

When the purchase is made, research what you can do to make it last.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:39 AM
masonlift
Mountain Pass
Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
09 F550 with full emissions and almost 4500 hours and 80000 kms on the engine.as of now has had no engine issues what so ever

Old 02-18-2016, 07:48 AM
MitchPeters
More Turbo
We have 1 2008 F450 and 2 2008 F550's All 3 have had the front cover replaced, 1 set of heads, 2 sets of EGR coolers and 1 engine replaced. All under 150K miles. Engine pulls great but is not durable! The rest of the trucks are great. Good brakes, interior etc. They have enclosed utility bodies and pull skid loaders and 50 series mini excavators daily. Sad that only the engine is not reliable.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Tawn
Senior User
I have been getting more and more nervous as I approached 125K on a Job 2 2008 6.4L. Last night I traded it in on a 2016 F-250 Lariat Crewcab 4X4 with the 6.2L gas engine.

I sold the boat that I used to tow and no longer have any heavy towing needs. Additionally, I no longer desire to pay for the maintenance of a diesel or wait for the Prius's to finish gassing up at the few diesel pumps I have on my drive to & from work.

I loved my 6.4L 08 F-250 supercab Lariat to death. It is still a gorgeous truck, drives wonderfully and it never really gave me any significant problems but I couldn't help but feel it was a matter of time before something very expensive let go.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:54 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Tawn
I have been getting more and more nervous as I approached 125K on a Job 2 2008 6.4L. Last night I traded it in on a 2016 F-250 Lariat Crewcab 4X4 with the 6.2L gas engine.

I sold the boat that I used to tow and no longer have any heavy towing needs. Additionally, I no longer desire to pay for the maintenance of a diesel or wait for the Prius's to finish gassing up at the few diesel pumps I have on my drive to & from work.

I loved my 08 F-250 supercab Lariat to death. It is still a gorgeous truck, drives wonderfully and it never really gave me any significant problems but I couldn't help but feel it was a matter of time before something very expensive let go.
Yes...its a crap shoot ....every time we turn the key...is this going to be the day.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:50 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
120k on a job 1 2008... Truck runs like a top. I normally have more to say on the matter but dave pretty much summed it up like 2 weeks ago when he posted on here.

Ohh yah... If you are deleted and running more than a tow tune and something goes boom... Please don't blame the motor. With stock or a tow hp level you should get many, many miles out of your truck provided you stick to a strict maintenance schedule.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:58 AM
jaynik123
Junior User
Not quite sure what to expect.

Hello, I am new, and extremely happy to find this place since I bought my 2008 f350 SD with the 6.4. Its at 172k and runs like a champ. No deletes or mods. Did my research and found the first owner who owned his own construction company and the truck was driving aprox 25k pr year with no issues. I have had 3 garages go thru this truck to satisfy me and they all give it a clean bill of health. As well as they all seem very surprised at how good it checks out. I have heard all about the benefits of the deletes and tunes, but I question the benefits of that. I understand the engine will breathe better which is always good, However I only drive my personal vehicle less that 5k pr year (i am a OTR truck driver) and when I do I haul a 30ft camper aprox 500 mi round trip on vacation. Which the first trip with the 6.4 is coming up. Now I am no expert by any means, but think i have a good concept of common sense. Buying a used vehicle you always take a chance. Buying ANY diesel truck, you need to have deep pockets should something happen, New or Used. I am a firm believer in preventive maintenance as well as quality products. We all know that any and all of this emission crap is just that. Crap. However I also believe that if its not broke don't fix it either. So now I am torn, I have a high mileage truck as most of you do, I am not having any issues at all, I drive aprox 5k pr year, and would estimate that maybe 1k of that will be hauling a 8k camper. So should I delete? or should i leave well enough alone? My mechanic who is a firm believer in the deletes and tunes even suggested to me if that is all I am doing not to mess with the truck, but keep religious maintenance on it. He could not justify me spending the 3 grand it will take to do all the deletes and tune.

So my question like the first guy, with 172k on mine with no issues, what is the life span I can expect? should I delete and if so what benefits would I get, would it make it last longer, what kind of MPG would i see? I know power will increase but I came out of a 1999 Dodge 1500 with a 5.2 so as of right now with the power i have i am very pleased.

I know everyone has their opinions, and preferences on what is best. All i can say is if its broke and cannot or do not want to fix it, then cut your losses, but if you can swing it and want to keep it, just make sure you do your research and get a good trusted person to do your rebuild.

I know I wasn't much help, but thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:09 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
this is one of those subjects where everyone is correct and everyone is wrong....unless they understand your driving habits.....which is still vague.

the deletes, tunes, dpf, straight pipe, egr blocking plates, caping of the "hot air behind the engine scoop", etc and other "try to get back to the "7.3 era" are all based on ways to undermine the manufactures attempts to heat up the cumbustion process and recirculate percent of possible unburnt, but extremely hot exhuast gasses back into your engine. reducing the heat and the amount of underdesigned failure points . and by doing so have proven to make the engine more reliable. but not compliant with mandated emissions goals.

so back to you...do you need these things...probally yes....especially if your day to day driving is so short that normal engine temps are never reached, and your in a lot of stop and go traffic.

some folks drive medium to long distances with good fuel , keep up their maint, and never have a problem.

the cards are stacked against you espeically if your in an area that only sells straight low sulphur #2 diesel. if you can get to a regular supply of B5 diesel, you wont need any additives.

check your water drain often and make sure you only use motorcraft supplies when servicing to include ford coolant , gearbox additives.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:40 PM
jaynik123
Junior User
Thanks speakerfritz. Maybe i can be a bit more detailed, I live 2 miles from work and work 3 days a week therefore 12-13 miles in a work week, temps i doubt are reached like they should on those days, as i work 12 hr shifts. I do let it idle aprox 3-5 min before driving due to the recomendation of letting the twin turbo get oil to it before hitting the highway. I do however take it out once a week on my day off to check on my parents who are 80 and then the long way home via interstate, so it gets about an additional 20 miles there. Nothing more unless kids or grandkids need something or I go to eat with my grandson at school.

as far as service, I have only had the truck since dec of 2015 and only put 2k on it and planned on a 5k service schedule with fuel filters being at 10k. USLD is very much available in north carolina, and I do use power services additive as well as lucas, same as I use in my OTR truck.

Actually check the water seperator once a week. Yea i know overkill.

Here is what I have noticed and keep in mind this is my very first diesel with all the dpf stuff. I am noticing it regens about every 100 miles. Is that normal since how little i drive? I also notice that my research holds true on regens, that if its in cleaning mode get it on the interstate and cruise at 60mph or more to keep the RPMs above 1500, will help it clean things out and speed the process up. Takes about 10 miles i am noticing.

So how often should it regen and how long should it take? Is it doing what its designed to do?

My mechanic was one of fords seinor powerstroke techs before opening his own shop dedicated to powerstrokes, and buying all ford equipment. Now he swears by the deletes but he also isnt a money cheat as most mechanics are, He told me honestly unless i just wanted to spend the money for the deletes, I really didnt need to do them for a few reasons, one if i take it out once a week and run it good I would be fine to keep it from sooting up, the other is our state is starting to push that EPA thing checking in certian counties already. So I am thinking maybe I should leave well enough alone, since if i take it off and they crack down on it, I will have to put it all back on.

I am no fan of the cats dpfs or any of that crap, however this thing is running perfect and has tons of power for what i use it for.

Also as it sets i am getting 14-16MPG around town and 22-27mpg highway empty. Quite honestly thats better than my 99 dodge 1500 quad cab 4x4 with the 5.2 (318) which even with a jet chip only got 14-16 at best no matter what it did.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:45 PM
nautiqueman
New User
Well I will be the test case for the 2008 6.4 in my F350. The engine went down on the interstate at 78K miles. I am replacing with a remanded engine and deleting the EGR AND DPF. Adding a AIRDOG fuel filter and a chip tuner. Hopefully this will get me 300K miles.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:59 PM
jaynik123
Junior User
Hello everyone, I have been searching this forum reading anything I can find on the 6.4 and have read just about every nightmare story about it. And a few good. As I said before i have a 2008 6.4 with 172k on it and runs like a dream, so i am wondering if I just got lucky.

One thing that crosses my mind when reading all these nightmare stories is what service interval were they following, the 10k for normal use or 5k for severe. I would assume most follow the normal 10k which if so Ford set this engine up for failure right from the start. No one ever states what went wrong, what if any warning signs they got, and from what i can tell it didn't matter weather the truck was deleted and tuned or left stock. Most engine failures are failing as early as 75k and up to 140k.

Here is what i am thinking and i am no expert but just a normal fella like the rest of you so any of your thoughts on it i invite. The regen process usually happens every 100-600 miles, and of course with the process there is fuel washdown into the oil. Now over a period of 10k between service intervals thats going to thin the oil down to almost water. That being said its doesn't suprise me that the engines are falling like flies. I mean these are diesels, suppose to last 300k or more.

The one I have i was lucky enough to find the first owners info and called and spoke with him. He serviced it like clockwork every 5k no question. Never had a moments issue out of it and wish he kept it but wanted a newer 2013 which according to him he got rid of in 2015 for a chevy and traded the one I have in on that. Hes a business owner and has a fleet of trucks but the one I have was his personal one.

Now I have read that Dodge and Chevy are having the same issue as the Ford does with the regen and fuel washdown problem. The few good stories I have heard from anyone with any make are the ones who service them with the severe old school schedule. Does this hold any water? I am very curious to find out from all the ones who have had one fail what happend and what the service interval was. Maybe there is something to this and maybe not but its something to wonder about.

All I know is I will continue the same as the first owners service on it as well and thank God for blessing me with good fortune and hope it last for a long long time. I will love to post here someday that mine made it to 300k. And yes its stock, non deleted and will prob stay that way. I don't drive it very much since i drive a big truck for a living.

Also one more question, how can I tell if I have a job 1 truck or a job 2?

Thanks

Update 3/22/16

I just found out I have a Job 3 truck. not sure if that is good but sounds like it may be.

Last edited by jaynik123; 03-22-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: updating info
Old 03-31-2016, 10:30 AM
95Fummins
New User
my folks have an 08 6.4. regularly tow a 13k+ camper and its been all over the states loaded and unloaded. it has about 150k miles on it, only issue has been the crap DPF. deleted it and put a tuner on. no other repairs or issues have been noted. flush your fluids, change your oil, and about once a week floor it (these motors like to be strung out occasionally). the 6.4 is a good motor of you're a good owner.

Quick Reply: 6.4 Longevity