6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Seeking Help with a Smoke Issue

Old 02-05-2016, 03:47 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by StarfishFD
Could you go into a little more detail about this idea...⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

I've been driving her around. And it's not too bad on a straight road..
But when I hit a hill, or put any kind of load on the engine. She smokes like a Choo Choo....😤

Maybe it is the turbo..... 🤔
Both engines smoking is possible but seems unlikely. I was thinking on where oil could have stayed on the truck. Sounds like you've been through the cold side air stuff and the exhaust also. I agree an injector sounds likely but you need some diag equipment to narrow down which one (s). Fuel or oil contamination is an outside posibility.

A couple of years ago, I put a small bottle of ZDDP in my oil. The exhaust smell was terrible and as you described-eye burning. It smoked a little, mostly cold, and you could smell it inside a car a couple vehicles behind it at a stoplight. It lingered a little into the next oil change even.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:40 PM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
You may not have the same issue, but it's worth checking.

The truck showed no faults. Every thing looked good and I even pulled the turbo since looking in the down pipe showed a hint, but not what should have been expected considering the smoke I was generating. It wasn't just at starting, which was very light, but after driving being at a stop sign or light would be embarrassing.

AE showed nothing due to compensated control. IDS hot both comp'd and uncomp'd showed minimal variation. It wasn't until I did dead cold that number 7 showed it wasn't contributing as much. And it was a moderate drop. I changed it out not really sure that was the true problem child. But as soon as it was changed all trace of smoke stopped.

I've had a little start up smoke this winter and a quick IDS check indicated two injectors, #3 and #5 are down a little, but I need an opportunity to do proper cold and hot checks to investigate this more.
It does sound similar... Except mine get worse the hotter the engine gets...
Took it for a ride yesterday, with about 1/2 ton of wood in the back. It starts fine, then as its warming up, it emits a very light haze.. A clearish to very light color.. As I accelerate it turns to a blueish color. And once I accelerate hard or go up any kind of hill, it's rolling blue.....

Come to a stop, it lightens up, still blue and then starts to lose color, but never completely stops.

Then repeats itself as you continue driving....

Do you think I could figure this out using AE, or do I have to take it to someone with IDS???

Old 02-05-2016, 05:44 PM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Both engines smoking is possible but seems unlikely. I was thinking on where oil could have stayed on the truck. Sounds like you've been through the cold side air stuff and the exhaust also. I agree an injector sounds likely but you need some diag equipment to narrow down which one (s). Fuel or oil contamination is an outside posibility.

A couple of years ago, I put a small bottle of ZDDP in my oil. The exhaust smell was terrible and as you described-eye burning. It smoked a little, mostly cold, and you could smell it inside a car a couple vehicles behind it at a stoplight. It lingered a little into the next oil change even.

Thanks for getting back to me on this.... As far as diag equipment, do u have anything in mind I could check with AE...

I made a chart, of my truck and the non smoking one. All 500 some pid's that AE can see. And compared them side by side. Some minor differences. But nothing that really jumped out.... Any thoughts?

For whatever reason, my smoke is normal cold and gets worse as she heats up....

Old 02-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Just contribution/balance. I've read AE has that function and works well at idle but has issues displaying the trace as RPM's increase though. Fords IDS is the best tool for that. Does the engine have excessive blow by? You would be checking for air/smoke coming out of the oil fill cap with engine running and warm. Basic rule of thumb, if you flip the cap over and set it on top of the fill pipe it shouldn't be blown off.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:50 PM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
I haven't flipped the cap over and checked. Will try that tomorrow. But I did reroute the ccv, to no avail...

Any idea what the fuel pulse width reading is supposed to be? It's one of the readings I have a discrepancy on between the two trucks.

Also, every so often my IAT2 reading will be lower than my IAT reading...

Also discrepancy in the Mass fuel desired readings

And volume fuel desired

I realize it's two different trucks, but both 04s. One smokes and one doesn't....

Old 02-05-2016, 07:23 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,403 Posts
I picked up IDS rather then trying to deal with AE anymore. But .... my understanding is you can utilize AE looking at some fuel PIDs, but I never tried it. I think NAPA may have a video or posting that goes through the check.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 PM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
I picked up IDS rather then trying to deal with AE anymore. But .... my understanding is you can utilize AE looking at some fuel PIDs, but I never tried it. I think NAPA may have a video or posting that goes through the check.

Good to know,ty. I'll see if I can find that video.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by StarfishFD
I haven't flipped the cap over and checked. Will try that tomorrow. But I did reroute the ccv, to no avail...

Any idea what the fuel pulse width reading is supposed to be? It's one of the readings I have a discrepancy on between the two trucks.

Also, every so often my IAT2 reading will be lower than my IAT reading...

Also discrepancy in the Mass fuel desired readings

And volume fuel desired

I realize it's two different trucks, but both 04s. One smokes and one doesn't....
I've just been over this on my own truck so I have the notes right here

With factory software, the range is 400us (microseconds) to 5.8ms (milliseconds). It's common to see the full pulse of 5.8ms on a cold start and around 800us at warm idle. If I remember correctly, there is only one reading, with the tools I have I cant see each individual injector.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:38 AM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
I've just been over this on my own truck so I have the notes right here

With factory software, the range is 400us (microseconds) to 5.8ms (milliseconds). It's common to see the full pulse of 5.8ms on a cold start and around 800us at warm idle. If I remember correctly, there is only one reading, with the tools I have I cant see each individual injector.
So when trucks are up to temp, the non smokers pulse is 944 while the smoker ranges from 1168-1320....

Again, both are 2004s

Old 02-06-2016, 09:05 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could drive the truck,, and disable each injector while driving. When the smoke stops,,, there ya go. This is assuming that fuel is the smoke tho. I normally see white smoke with failed turbos,, and blue with injectors.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:16 AM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by run6.0run
You could drive the truck,, and disable each injector while driving. When the smoke stops,,, there ya go. This is assuming that fuel is the smoke tho. I normally see white smoke with failed turbos,, and blue with injectors.
I tried that at idle... Still smoked. Would it make a difference doing it while driving?

And isn't that the other way around, blue for turbo and white for injector?

Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 AM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm with Anthony on this one, I think you have a cylinder washing out . You need to get a IDS on there and find the culprits

Old 02-06-2016, 09:31 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Not in my experience

This was when I sheared the shaft on my turbo pulling vail pass

Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Fast forward this video to 2:45

That was a cracked injector tip. I didn't focus on the color of smoke tho.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:59 AM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
That's an awesome video. I hope everything turned out ok with that truck...

Mine is nothing like that, however. At idle you can barely see it, no dtc's. I don't have IDS, but AE power balance looks normal. I realize there is a compensation factor.

I have had the injectors out, since they were installed. I re-ringed them and wanted to make sure no xtra crush washers left in the cups.

Do you have any thoughts on my pulse width readings? Or any of the other readings that seem to be off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seeking Help with a Smoke Issue