6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Seeking Help with a Smoke Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:46 PM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking Help with a Smoke Issue

There's no way to make this into a short story, it's a long one...

Bought an 04 F-350 6.0 w/ 230k. Truck was advertised with some minor problems. And of course there were many unadvertised ones as well.

When I bought it, it had a miss and would barely run. The radiator was cracked and there was oil in the coolant. The fuel was also contaminated with some sort of red oily substance that smelled horrible.

Got all that sorted out, 8 reman injectors, new oil cooler and egr cooler delete. New radiator and fan clutch.. Blue spring upgrade, dropped fuel tank, drained and cleaned. Blew out fuel lines.

All parts from Ford

Trucks Starts, idles and runs beautifully...

There have been many other parts replaced along the way, more than I can remember. If it was questionable and a pita to get to, it got replaced. I plan on keeping it for a long time.

I can't get rid of the smoking issue.

Best I can describe it, it's greyish at idle. No sweet smell whatsoever.
It's eye burning, like its running lean...

Unlike most smoking issues, it's gets worse as it warms up.
Turns blue when you put a load on the motor.
Not bright blue, but has a blueish tint
It's not light either, it's rolling blue and doesn't clear up
Makes the truck almost undriveable.
When you park it and let it idle, the blue will disappear out of it, but it still stinks

I have swapped in two, known to be good, turbos and no change
Even put my turbo on friends truck and no smoke

I have AE and been trying to figure this out, but haven't hit it yet

Any help would be greatly appreciated

There is currently one dtc, p0480. For the fan control circuit which I have narrowed down to the main engine harness. This code comes and goes

Old 01-26-2016, 11:03 PM
billbot
More Turbo
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Have you checked compression, or maybe a leakdown test? How about the oil level, do you have to add oil?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:13 AM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Thanks for response.... I did check comp, while the numbers were good, they were all over the place. Removal of heads revealed one head gasket had been recently replaced, I doubt the head was sent out, and the other gasket was older. Also found damage to the top of # 5 piston, like an injector tip bounced around in there. Back side of head showed no signs of damage on # 5.

Instead of costly rebuild, I was able to acquire a known good running engine..
Swapped it in. Truck does the same exact thing as before... Unbelievable...

I did keep some of the pieces from the original engine... All the new stuff, the oil cooler egr delete and the injectors.....

Old 01-27-2016, 09:36 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Is it the same turbo from one engine to the other?

Old 01-27-2016, 09:57 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Same sensors? iat2, MAP, !AF, EBP? Clean these sensors, then run relearn? I would check the harness at all these points and be sure there is no issues with wiring? FICM voltage, main and amplified power? FICM plugs fully seated and zap strapped down?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:03 AM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jmoen7
Is it the same turbo from one engine to the other?
I have tried a total of 3 different turbos, none of which cause this issue on any over truck....

That was my first thought as well, checked down pipe each time. No oil

Old 01-27-2016, 10:11 AM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Same sensors? iat2, MAP, !AF, EBP? Clean these sensors, then run relearn? I would check the harness at all these points and be sure there is no issues with wiring? FICM voltage, main and amplified power? FICM plugs fully seated and zap strapped down?
I have tried with the original intake manifold and with the one that came with used engine... I tried another IAT/maf and EBP. Can't remember if I tried map..
Can I run relearn with AE? If so, could you please tell me how..

Ficm voltage is good, doesn't drop below 48v at any point. And batteries are brand new from ford as well..

I'm sure there's a wiring harness issue, it's also causing my p0480 for the fan. Going to replace main harness and Ficm harness. Clips on Ficm harness are not in good shape. Does zip tieing them on hold them in place better?

Fwiw, I have also swapped in a good ECU/pcm with no luck.

Two other issues I can see using AE, are cmp ckp sync bounces back and fourth non stop , where as on the non smoking truck it goes back and fourth but not quite as fast.

And IAT2 v is in the yellow for some reason.....

Thanks guys so far for all your help, keep it coming. I want to get her fixed!

Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 AM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Long shot, but were both motors maybe burning oil? Would be very unlucky. Any compression numbers? If it was blueish when cold, it's not much of a concern as nothing seals well when cold... but worse when warming up is a bit odd. Blue ....i do assume oil, fuel is grey/black/white at whatever concentration.

People do ziptie the ficm connectors, helps alot when broken or deteriorating.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:58 AM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jmoen7
Long shot, but were both motors maybe burning oil? Would be very unlucky. Any compression numbers? If it was blueish when cold, it's not much of a concern as nothing seals well when cold... but worse when warming up is a bit odd. Blue ....i do assume oil, fuel is grey/black/white at whatever concentration.

People do ziptie the ficm connectors, helps alot when broken or deteriorating.
Thought about both being bad. First one, I dunno. Bought it as is. 2nd one I saw run, it was clean....

Didn't do compression on 2nd motor. Runs excellent, pulls very well.

No blue when cold... Only when hot and accelerating. Light blue, but heavy...
Idle it's greyish.

I'm going to replace engine harness and ficm harness.
Buzz test is good, power balance looks normal. No spikes.

Relearn sensors? How? I can do it with Vcds on my Tdi. Not sure with AE

Old 01-27-2016, 12:06 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
I thought all sensors relearned with batteries unplugged 10 mins or so. can be proven wrong Just check for blowby on the 2nd one, just for fun. No oil loss over time? or havent driven enough to know? Never seen a post of this kind, or experienced it myself so i'm out of ideas other than the usuals for blue smoke. could be more than one problem with constant grey smoke at idle

Old 01-27-2016, 01:20 PM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Any thoughts on the cmp ckp sync bouncing back and fourth? I've read so many different opinions on that.

Reman injectors are from Ford, ever see a bad reman one?
Guess anything is possible

Almost like she's just over fueling, for whatever reason.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:05 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the truck have stock exhaust? Cat n muffler still installed? If the previous engine was coating the exhaust,, it will take a lil drive to clear it. How far have you driven the replacement engine.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:13 AM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by run6.0run
Does the truck have stock exhaust? Cat n muffler still installed? If the previous engine was coating the exhaust,, it will take a lil drive to clear it. How far have you driven the replacement engine.
Yes all stock. Cat and muffler are there. Cat is hollow. I pulled it all down to make sure not oil soaked...

Haven't driven it many miles, but lots of fun time. Each time rolls blue, calms down at idle.

Best observation I can make is, it's eye burning... Seems lean

Old 01-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 134 Likes on 79 Posts
As I was reading, I was thinking puddling in the exhaust also but it seems you've eliminated that.. How about puddling in the intercooler maybe?

Old 01-28-2016, 06:52 PM
StarfishFD
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
As I was reading, I was thinking puddling in the exhaust also but it seems you've eliminated that.. How about puddling in the intercooler maybe?
This past week I replaced the fan clutch... I removed the rad to make it easier. While I had it out, I also removed the IC.. Left it tipped side ways for a while, I was hoping for some oil to pour out from a previously blown turbo or something...

To no avail...

Additional notes on truck.
When she first fires up, it's a normal exhaust smell for about 10 seconds or so. After that is when the unpleasantness starts...

Does anyone know if these injectors can fail in a way where the hp oil can be forced out through the nozzle with the fuel???
It's one of the few parts that were in both motors
In an effort to save a few $, i declined the injectors that were in the replacement motor... Never thought I would need them, being that I just bought 8 remans from Ford.....

Another big Thanks you to everyone who's helped and is still helping me with this.... I ordered main engine harness and Ficm harness today. Will be in tomorrow....

Quick Reply: Seeking Help with a Smoke Issue