1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Operation: Quiet the cab and Bump up the tunes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 11:39 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Operation: Quiet the cab and Bump up the tunes

Something ive been wanting to do for a while, but since im going to be driving 5400 miles in 2 weeks in april, figured id get this project rolling. I wanted to sound deaden the cab, and then add a 4 channel amp to run all my speakers.

Sound deadening:
I got most of my information for this project from one of my good friends, who used this product in his CCLB 6.0 (with much more coverage) and it is extremely quiet in his truck. Its crazy. The product is from Raam Audio, and there are 2 steps. The first piece is called Raam Mat, similar to dynamat. This only requires 50-60% coverage to be effective, and you want to focus it on thin areas that are prone to resonate. If you read their how-to on their site, the owner mentions in pickup trucks you really dont need to do the floor, just doing the doors and the rear cab wall is most important, so thats exactly what i did. I entirely coated the rear cab wall, and got as much on the outer door skin as i could. Its just peel and stick, and super sticky so make sure you place it right the first time as its hard to remove without ruining the piece.

What you see on the left is the raam mat. On the right is the second step, which is called ensolite. Ensolite is a thin, super flexible foam type material (its peel and stick which is nice). This product is designed to break up sounds such as road noise and tire hum. You want to aim for 100% coverage with this product. On the rear cab wall, i just went right over the Raam mat. On the doors, i put it right behind the door panel.

I did all 4 doors, and the rear cab wall and definitely noticed a big difference. Much quieter, and when you tap on the doors you can tell how much more of a "thud" the sound is vs. a ping.

This is the kit i bought, i did everything i said, and still have 4 pieces of raam mat left (i think they are 2' x 1') and a couple sq ft of the ensolite left. ---- Package # 1 -------- 20 Sheets of RAAMmat BXT II (37.5 sq ft) and 3 yards of Ensolite IUO Peel and Stick Foam (41.625 sq ft) - RAAMaudio Inc.

In the future, i think i want to pull the front seats and try to line right under the front of the carpet and on the trans tunnel. I think that would help with some noise. Doing the firewall would be great, but i dont see how i can get any coverage there without it being a total pain.

Audio:
My truck came with a 10" kicker sub (that used to be behind the seats when i had buckets/console, but is now in back seat because i swapped to a bench) and amp, which works and sounds great to me so i saw no reason to change it. I did see a need to change how it was just sliding around behind the seat not secured to anything, and being an electrician, the messy wiring was driving me nuts. My buddy way into car audio also suggested it would be a huge upgrade to amplify the speakers, so i began my research into that. I got lucky and another good friend gave me his old 4 channel amp, not the highest wattage but it'll do. Im not aiming for an extreme build here.

Before:

My first step was figuring out where i wanted to mount the amps. I decided to remove the luggage rack under the rear seat that i never used anyways, and build it there. My dad and uncle gave me a hand with this, and i think the rack turned out pretty good. I noticed i didnt have much room for air flow if i just made it 1 flat piece, so i decided to step it down as on the left side of the cab, the floor steps down from the middle. I put the 4 channel amp on the step down as it gets warmer than the amp for the sub.

Air space:

before carpet:

I ended up putting a lip on the front, as to increase protection from kicks/people/stuff in the back seat. I also lined it with black carpet, and had some aluminum 90* stock here so i decided to use that as some trim for the front. I think it came out pretty cool

Working on the wiring. I originally just had 1 - 8ga feeding the single amp. I now ran 1 - 4ga from the battery to feed a distribution block, and then it splits off with an 8ga to hit each amp. Same size wiring for the grounding as well. Instead of using the existing speaker wiring, i decided to run new 14ga speaker wire to each speaker. The left rear speaker got 18ga because 1. i ran out of 14ga lol and 2. it is the shortest run so it shouldn't be an issue. I needed to run 2 sets of RCAs from the head unit (along with the existing 1 set for the sub amp) for the sets of speakers.

And pretty much squared away in the truck

I would change a few things if i did it again, and it took a lot of thought how i wanted to run wiring so none of them crossed on the rack, but still ended up with it a few times sadly. All the wiring is concealed, and they come out in this little slit i cut in the carpet on the far side of the rack

Lastly, i have a previously installed Pioneer touchscreen head unit, and a front set of 75RMS ea Alpine 6x8s and a rear set of 60 RMS ea Pioneer 6x8 speakers. Very happy with the performance of each.

Overall, definitely a huge improvement in having a quieter cab, and much better sounding music. I have to have my buddy tune in the amp for me as i am still not sure about that. My next step is to make a new box so i can get the sub out of the back floor and behind the seat. Been posting this all step by step over in the 6.0 forum, but wanted to get it in one place to give people some ideas!

Old 01-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks good so far I'm about to start a little audio project of my own. I think I've got my amp rack figured out. I'm gonna put it behind the seat too. But I'm only going to have 1 amp. I want to get the box behind the seat figured out without having to move the seat forward or anything like that. I'm gonna start with the one 10" I already have and build a box for it and see how it sounds. I wasn't real impressed with it in my old truck but I don't think the box it was in was helping.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:21 PM
Bugzilla46310
Laughing Gas
Received 280 Likes on 151 Posts
More interested in the sound deadening. Where did you buy it and about how much did it cost? Thanks

Old 01-24-2016, 03:05 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by Mike189677
Looks good so far I'm about to start a little audio project of my own. I think I've got my amp rack figured out. I'm gonna put it behind the seat too. But I'm only going to have 1 amp. I want to get the box behind the seat figured out without having to move the seat forward or anything like that. I'm gonna start with the one 10" I already have and build a box for it and see how it sounds. I wasn't real impressed with it in my old truck but I don't think the box it was in was helping.
Should have room to put in a box behind seat without doing anything to the seat, im not going to move mine. This guy came highly recommended to me for the best super duty boxes... said $259 shipped BoxWorX

Think im just gonna build my own though. My friends gonna help me draw one up on CAD and make sure we have the right air space

And the link for the sound deadening product is right below the youtube video. I purchased their smaller package which is 37 sq ft of raam mat and 42 sq ft of ensolite (something like that) and i think it was around $190 shipped

Old 01-24-2016, 04:31 PM
4x4pwr
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice job! I just finished fat matting all my door panels and then used 8lb carpet pad on the inside of the door panel covers. I imagine it should make a huge difference. Lowes has 8lb carpet pad for like $36. My front door panel covers already had a similar padding so I left it. But the rear doors had nothing. I still have yet to do the back of my cab wall... Really don't want to pull up the carpet to get to it.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:33 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

You dont need to pull the carpet, just the carpet on the rear wall. Its very easy, on mine its just 4 christmas tree pins and 2 bolts which secure some sort of brackets on the back wall. You can have it out in 3 minutes

Old 01-24-2016, 11:32 PM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to Jack the op's thread, but have any of you got a sub mounted in your super cab trucks, without it being in the way of the seat function .
Mine is a 99 , so it is a single bottom, and the single back.
I want the extra sound quality, without interference with leg room and seat function.

I carry my grandchildren and 2 Sharpei .
The dogs ride every day, kiddos only occasionally.
Thank you .
Op, looks really nice.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:46 AM
JoeyCap
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did Dynamat in my truck also. I've never heard of the product you used, but it looks pretty good with the double layers. I just did all four door panels, and it made a huge difference! Since I upgraded the speakers, they were rattling the door panels pretty bad. The dynamat eliminated the rattle and definitely gave me a much quieter ride.