Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Glo plug system vs non, Advabages Disadvatages

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 01:17 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just to clear things up a bit, the grid heaters on a Cummins are for emissions control only. Non highway applications either don't have any start assist at all, or have ether injection in cold weather applications, same as a good ol DT 466...
The trick to getting my Dodge to start at 30 below is you forget to plug it in is unplug the grids so there is enough battery to spin it over, and you only have one shot then, just a single G31 in it...

The rules of using ether are simple. Never spray if the engine isn't cranking. Use only enough to make it catch after you start spraying. Spray into the air stream going into the filter, never directly into the intake.
It is a simple science, but many get it very wrong.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:56 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
nope, not true. the ZD-9 was deposited in Rudolph's rear end. then when one of the other reindeer would sing "light my fire" one of the elves would hit the glow plug button in the sled and wake his butt up!!

it was horrible. it was colder than a witch's left.....you know what.
the reindeer just would not get started, and the damn temp hire elves decided it would be a good idea to use ether to "fire them up".

but they used too much, and put the reindeer to sleep. then the nightmares started.
reindeer flopping all over the place, elves freaking out and running all over the place.

then the reindeer and elves got really scared when they started bumping into each other and lost bowel control.
before we could get everyone back under control, there was reindeer and elf excrement everywhere.

the maintenance men still refuse to go into the barn.

Smart man, he doesn't pay attention to mainstream garbage on film at all, Krampus is an old German legendary Reindeer monster who is supposed to be like the alter ego of Santa who hauls bad children to hell.

Legend has it one of the Reindeer and I believe it was Vixen would not get out of bed to pull the sled so Santa stuck a hair dryer up it's a$$ then injected a shot of ether and Kaablewie Krampus was born.

It was a 2015 movie for XMAS on the big screen.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:14 AM
fsmyth
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 82F100SWB
Just to clear things up a bit, the grid heaters on a Cummins are for emissions control only. Non highway applications either don't have any start assist at all, or have ether injection in cold weather applications, same as a good ol DT 466...
The trick to getting my Dodge to start at 30 below is you forget to plug it in is unplug the grids so there is enough battery to spin it over, and you only have one shot then, just a single G31 in it...

The rules of using ether are simple. Never spray if the engine isn't cranking. Use only enough to make it catch after you start spraying. Spray into the air stream going into the filter, never directly into the intake.
Doesn't seem to do any good to preach proper application.
Been doing it for years, and no one seems to listen.
Personally, I will continue to use it as NECESSARY, and
have not broken/damaged an engine in 40 years.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:22 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Theyre even simpler than that, dont use too much. End of rules.
If you have glow plugs make sure theyre disconnected. IMHO, that is the only way you are going to hurt something.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:05 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is pretty sound. Like Hairy said, don't use too much-- and these are excellent rules to keep extra air moving to thin out the spray.
Personally any time I spray into the intake itself it's prone to pre-detonation. OR its such a small spray that it doesn't help much. (I exclusively use ether to re-prime from air intrusion to help save batteries and speed up the process)
Spray into the cold air intake, no issues at all. Into the intake throat itself, pinging and scary-ness.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:15 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non highway applications either don't have any start assist at all, or have ether injection in cold weather applications, same as a good ol DT 466...
Well, highway applications were like that too. At my old job we had a '97 F800 flatbed truck with a 160 hp 5.9 Cummins in it, the only "starting aid" it had was some sort of ether injection system that you mounted an aerosol can in, except we never used it.

That thing was a pain to start in the winter...

Old 01-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
On mine I just give the air cleaner a shot through the canister and the truck lights rights up.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:55 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will not spray the filter as this makes a terrible fire hazard.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:51 AM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by speedwrench72
I will not spray the filter as this makes a terrible fire hazard.
If it backfires through the intake it can lite the filter ?

Old 01-28-2016, 09:17 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
yup, sure can. there is a thread in another forum about what happens when you shoot ether into the intake. he was in a hurry to fire it because flood waters were rising. the engine popped back and blew the airbox into a zillion little pieces.
i tried looking for it to show pics of the carnage but can't remember where i saw it

Old 01-28-2016, 11:31 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Over in the PSD section here on FTE - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...low-plugs.html . But it's not a backfire. It's the GP itself igniting the starting fluid.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:45 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
yea, that's the one. i just could not remember where it was.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:57 AM
irhunter
Laughing Gas
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Just to clear things up a bit, the grid heaters on a Cummins are for emissions control only. Non highway applications either don't have any start assist at all, or have ether injection in cold weather applications, same as a good ol DT 466....
The fact that some 6BT applications don't have grid heaters does not mean the heaters don't help a lot in cold starts. At least my 1989 6BT starts way easier with the grid heaters running.

My understanding was indirect motors tended to need either plugs or ether...that grid heaters were not effective enough for really cold cold starts.

Roy

Old 01-28-2016, 02:21 PM
speedwrench72
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we had a early psd a work and it was clapped out and very hard to start I told them it needed gps they said it wasn't bla bla so I watched as they blew up the air box buy spraying ether in the air box in stead of removing the air filter ect.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:17 PM
Realslowww
Posting Guru
I spray for less than a second and then wait about 20 seconds before cranking

Quick Reply: Glo plug system vs non, Advabages Disadvatages