2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Anyone experience doors not latching when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 09:07 AM
Desmoface
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone experience doors not latching when cold?

Hello everyone,

I have a 2015 F-150 supercab, 2 months old with about 1600 miles that has a finicky driver's side door. Whenever it's cold out, we're talking 20 F and below, the door will not latch when closed. I took it back to the dealership who said the door was not properly aligned - they sent it to the body shop who re-aligned the door. They said that should fix it.

Well, it didn't. When it gets cold (NE Ohio) the door still won't latch. I did learn that by locking the door, it would latch, but as soon as I unlocked the door it would unlatch.

I figured as long as locking the door works, I'll let the dealership mess with it the next time I bring it in for an oil change. Well, yesterday morning it wouldn't even lock, so I had to drive to work while holding my door closed, LOL. I mean, I couldn't even push the lock down, it was stuck solid. So I contacted my dealer, they said to bring it in Saturday. So, driving home from work, again I had to hold the door closed; I said, "screw this," I called the dealer and said, I'm bringing this in so you can see it - as soon as I pulled in the dealership and got out of the truck, of course, it latched.

It's obviously temperature related and with all the electronics, it's likely a servo motor or some type of electrical contact that's preventing the door from latching. The sales writer explained that he didn't have any mechanics there but he would have one of their lube guys spray the latch with some lubricant and I could keep my Saturday appointment if the problem persists...Well, this morning it was right around 20 F so it worked...

Ironically, the service writer says, "well, it's cold out, it's probably frozen." I said, "I spent 8 years in Northern Maine while in the military and I grew up in NE Ohio, I never had a door freeze." This is a truck, marketed as a working truck, I suspect lots of them will spend a considerable amount of time sitting outside in very cold weather - at nearly $50k I expect the doors to latch when it get's cold. Ironically we are having a mild winter, I hate to see what happens when it gets really cold.

Anyway, enough venting, LOL; has anyone else heard of any similar issues? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve

Old 01-21-2016, 09:33 AM
1NiceHarley
Senior User
There are a couple threads about that recently. And a TSB out in the TSB list. I'll see if I can find and link for you.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
tsb15-0052.pdf (252.7 KB, 140 views)
Old 01-21-2016, 09:33 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
Old 01-21-2016, 01:45 PM
Desmoface
Freshman User
Hey everybody, thanks for all of the info. I don't know when my vehicle was built but I suspect after 3/15 (the tsb is only for vehicles built before 3/15), but it's exhibiting the same exact symptoms described in the tsb.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:01 PM
jscozz
Senior User
Don't believe for a second that they fixed it on vehicles built after 3/15. From what I am reading, there is NO fix yet at all.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:15 PM
ssandirene
Senior User
Welcome to the screwed up door club, it is related to temperature,
My dealer can't fix mine.
Wonder if we can use the lemon law?

Old 01-22-2016, 06:41 AM
Desmoface
Freshman User
Ohio:
Q: How many attempts must be made to repair a vehicle before it can be considered a lemon?
A: Before a vehicle can be considered a "lemon," there must be a manufacturer's defect that "substantially impairs" its use, value or safety. If one or more of the following circumstances occur within the first year or 18,000 miles (whichever occurs first), the manufacturer, through the dealer, is presumed to have made a reasonable number of attempts to repair the vehicle if:
1) substantially the same problem has been subject to repair three or more times, and still exists or recurs;
2) the vehicle has been out of service for a total of 30 or more calendar days for repairs;
3) eight or more attempts have been made to repair a substantial problem covered by the warranty;
4) there has been at least one repair attempt for a safety-related problem, and the problem either continues to exist or recurs.

I would consider this to be a safety-related problem. Honestly, I love my truck, but I've owned 6 Subarus and haven't incurred a single warranty issue/claim. This is my 2nd, and possibly last Ford depending on how the company/dealership responds. I view this as a chance for the Company/Dealer to either shine and solidify a long lasting relationship, or to force me to another brand - I hope it's the former as I sincerely want to support an American company - hell, the motor in my truck was made right here in Ohio. I tend to stick with a single brand that I have good experience with - my Dad is a die hard Ford guy; he thinks they are the most reliable, best built vehicles on the road and he's bought a lot of them. Hopefully Ford steps up to the plate because I'm having dinner with my Dad on Saturday and I'm sure he'll be asking how I like my new, 2 month old (1600 miles) nearly $50,000 truck. I'll tell him, "Oh, you mean the one that I took into the dealer today because the door(s) won't close"?

Steve

Originally Posted by ssandirene
Welcome to the screwed up door club, it is related to temperature,
My dealer can't fix mine.
Wonder if we can use the lemon law?