1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

My new truck.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:57 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I picked up the truck and drove it 2500 miles back home. That was enough to find all kinds of problems.

1. Blow by? there is a tube in the engine compartment the a good steady smoke come from. you can see it when it is idling . no smoke from the tail pipe after it is warm.

2. rust all over. The guy lied about the rust. He is working on a shop to fix some of it and paint. Either that or I launch a website against him. Hail damage. He figured that was just normal wear on a 20 yo truck???? Really?

3. cold starts. takes about 4 try's to get it fired up. Glow plugs or relay?

4 Steering was HORRABLE!!! the tie rod and drag link rotate when I turn the wheel. Making a slack section in the steering when driving. joints looked solid but just very easy to rotate the bar. Not sure if there is another problem or just need to replace everything. Fairly cheep on rock auto but I don't know what to get. it confusing..

5. AC not working....

6. Wing window latch broke off. Not made any more.

7. rear tank filer tube missing. gone.... tank is there and has fuel in it but WTH? Not made any more. I see gas but not diesel filler assemblies.

I had to put new tires on as they were bald and slipping on wet roads.

8. Electric window problems switches and regulators.
9. stereo blew. junk junk junk.

Ran fine. I got 14 MPG, at 75mph Good?

Old 03-07-2016, 11:15 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
No offense but this is all things that should have been seen before buying it.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:48 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcali2
Well I picked up the truck and drove it 2500 miles back home. That was enough to find all kinds of problems.

1. Blow by? there is a tube in the engine compartment the a good steady smoke come from. you can see it when it is idling . no smoke from the tail pipe after it is warm.

You should post a video... if its significant enough, you could have serious blowby... in other words..shot rings, cracked pistons, toasted motor. Don't panick, it would be nice to see how much in a video first. That being said there should be no smoke from anywhere under the hood...

2. rust all over. The guy lied about the rust. He is working on a shop to fix some of it and paint. Either that or I launch a website against him. Hail damage. He figured that was just normal wear on a 20 yo truck???? Really?

Did you not get any pics of it prior to purchasing.

3. cold starts. takes about 4 try's to get it fired up. Glow plugs or relay?

Could be GPs, relay, UNVH and Valve cover gaskets. Could also be worn poppet seats on the injectors, which are not cheap 1300$. Ohm out the plugs and test the relay. start there its the cheapest

4 Steering was HORRABLE!!! the tie rod and drag link rotate when I turn the wheel. Making a slack section in the steering when driving. joints looked solid but just very easy to rotate the bar. Not sure if there is another problem or just need to replace everything. Fairly cheep on rock auto but I don't know what to get. it confusing..

Buy all your parts off summit and go with moog.... if you can find a better site go for it, but a lot of companies are selling chinese Moog knock off components now...

Here are your part number for an entire front end linkage rebuild...

5. AC not working....

Mine never has... AC is for women

6. Wing window latch broke off. Not made any more.

Ha I was going to say this was your AC!, get a replacement used wing window off ebay or a scrap yard. They are all of 10$ and a few minutes to install!

7. rear tank filer tube missing. gone.... tank is there and has fuel in it but WTH? Not made any more. I see gas but not diesel filler assemblies.

Scrapyard or make your own, they are easy and cheap to make

I had to put new tires on as they were bald and slipping on wet roads.

That was not cheap!

8. Electric window problems switches and regulators.
9. stereo blew. junk junk junk.

Electric windows are prone to crapping out on these trucks. It is usually the master driver switch that is the culprit.

Ran fine. I got 14 MPG, at 75mph Good?

Not bad considering your combo at 75...

See up above

Old 03-07-2016, 11:49 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by fordpride
I was kind of wondering the same thing. Did the guy come down on price?

Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordpride
I bought it off of e bay. 2500 miles away from me. I asked the questions and had photos but the dealer decided to make sure to mislead me IMO. When I got there it was snowing and at night. It was too dark to see details and I had 2500 miles to drive over the weekend to get back to work. I was mislead and the dealer know it. On a good note he is talking to a shop here and getting quotes to fix the rust and paint. The rest is on me I guess. The AC felt darn cold when I tested it but it was like 30 outside. I will get video of the blow-by. It did run great for the 2500 miles in 2 days.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by nossliw
See up above
thank you.

one nice thing is the paint is still nice on about 95% and it has a 5'' pipe on it. no down pipe.
tires were like 1100.00 for some goodyear offroad tires. has new windshield. no iol leaks except the power steering pump that I probably caused adjusting the box on the road. new brakes and rotors. Im going to change the shocks. I don't know the condition of them and the ride could improve but it still was better than my lifted 150.
The truck is higher than my 150 so no lift kit needed. I did get a few people yelling how much they liked the truck too.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:32 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If paid through PayPal then contact PayPal as the truck was miss represented and not as described

Old 03-07-2016, 01:43 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
I would ofile a case, thats why you should buy locally that way you can have that person face to face.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:56 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
I could. over all I only paid 12k for it and I'm still happy to own it. Lesson is just don't trust anyone selling from a used car lot. LOL If I bought the truck here I would have paid 20k and in the end I may still pay 20k but it will be newer and done right and the way I want it.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:17 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
You had some ambitious plans for parts so get to it! Looking forward to seeing it come together!

Old 03-07-2016, 02:28 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
12K around my area a clean cclb, ccsb, exlb, exsb, standard cab all below 7k.
And these are rust free southwest bodys

Old 03-07-2016, 02:47 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by z31freakify
12K around my area a clean cclb, ccsb, exlb, exsb, standard cab all below 7k.
And these are rust free southwest bodys
they are out there. When I wan In NM I did not see any that were not beat to death. oh well it is what it is. I now have lots of work. LOL. Seriously I have no time. Sell guns at night and build military bases in the day.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:53 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Not in NM look in el paso craigslist, a i saw one just last week a cclb, 4x4, 150k hand shaker for 5k, wish I had the money for it but oh well no need for a 4x4 anyways. I also went on Dallas tx craigslist alot of them out there for cheap also.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:03 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by mcali2
they are out there. When I wan In NM I did not see any that were not beat to death. oh well it is what it is. I now have lots of work. LOL. Seriously I have no time. Sell guns at night and build military bases in the day.
A solid CCLB 4x4 in this area is 9-15 depending on miles and shape/records/ 2WDs are half that cost and usually beat to living hell. I do not think you struck too bad of a deal. IMO it was probably a 10k truck if not rusted and dented, thats besides the point and being fixed... you bought it from a dealer...30-45% is average markup! It will last you a long time if taken care of properly!

local CL find in the area

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5448116791.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5435546561.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5468716484.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5410684411.html

Extended cabs tend to be 2500-3000 less than a CC. Heck OBS go for twice what the SD go for here! Unless its an excursion...those things are gold

No time? Better get to work on that lengthy list my friend

Old 03-07-2016, 03:10 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Dayum....12k would have bought mine...2wd though but super clean

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new truck.